Singapore Expats

Advice appreciated - areas to relocate to

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
davejlewis

Advice appreciated - areas to relocate to

Post by davejlewis » Mon, 04 Mar 2013 6:23 pm

Hi all
I am looking at a potential relocation later this year from Oz with my wife and 2 boys (11 and 13) who will likely be at the Australian International School with my work beign out at Loyang/Changi. We arrived this week to look at accomodaiton/schools etc with an expected decision to be made ASAP so wanted to see the 'market'.
We have spoken with an agent who today showed us 3 condos in Tanah Merah, Lorong Chuan & Farrer Park area. All were OK from a building perspective and seemed OK from a location but when I asked about the number of 'expats' he wasnt so sure.

So ... if there is anyway anybody can let me know if these areas are 'expat friendly' it would be fantastic. Our budget is likely up to about $6-6.5k so if there are any other recommendations it would be highly appreciated.

Search By

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 04 Mar 2013 7:51 pm

What is your definition of expat friendly? More caucasians than locals near you? Or just somewhere safe you can get around?

If the former, stick to D9 or D10. If the latter, anywhere in Singapore is OK.

davejlewis

Post by davejlewis » Mon, 04 Mar 2013 8:25 pm

Hi - would probably say somewhere where there are a number of expats nearby ... especially those at the AIS rather than where expats outnumber locals.

Interested if other AIS parents have some advice?

nzmarkj

Post by nzmarkj » Tue, 05 Mar 2013 8:11 am

Hi, my son is at AIS and we live on the East Coast: its nice to be close to the East Coast Park and its convenient if you work out at Changi and convenient also to get into the City. There are lots of AIS students out here: the bus turns up in the morning and whisks them away and drops them off at night...I wouldn't be too concerned about living next to the school. Better to find somewhere you like, and for your budget, there are lots of nice places.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 05 Mar 2013 8:20 am

davejlewis wrote:Hi - would probably say somewhere where there are a number of expats nearby ... especially those at the AIS rather than where expats outnumber locals.

Interested if other AIS parents have some advice?
SO you want a "lot" of expats, but not expats outnumbering locals?

You'll find expats everywhere in Singapore. 40% of the population is 'expat'. Or again, do you mean caucasians? Because most of the 'expats' in Singapore are from India and Mainland China. We need to know what you mean by expat. If you're talking caucasian expats, then you'll be OK in the areas I mentioned, or East Coast. Lots of areas really would fit the bill. You'll just have to come to Singapore and see for yourself because with your very vague 'expat' request, it's hard to say what would suit you.