Singapore Expats

Canadian PR Investment Acct Question

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
IronMac
Regular
Regular

Canadian PR Investment Acct Question

Post by IronMac » Sun, 03 Mar 2013 6:10 pm

Hi all,

Ok...am hoping that a fellow Canadian PR can help me. If you are no longer a tax resident of Canada what happens to your non-registered investment account that holds both Canadian and American equities?

Currently, mine are with iTrade and they used to be with TDWaterhouse. TD Bank has no problems with my non-tax residency status so can I simply move my investment account back over to TD?

Any enlightenment on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 8:45 pm

I don't know about moving accounts but I do know you're supposed to file a tax return, just for returns on non registered investments each year (ditto with rental income etc). I don't see why moving accounts would be a problem though - unless they want you there in person for the various ID requirements first time round.

IronMac
Regular
Regular

Post by IronMac » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 5:04 pm

Thank you for your reply.

As a followup, I am now trying to move my non-registered (and registered for good measure) investment accounts back over to TD Bank (TD Waterhouse).

Then, I will see what happens, from the conversation I had with TDWaterhouse, it seems that I can keep on investing through them. Of course, taxes will be paid to IRAS rather than CRA.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 8:41 pm

Chill out.

Declare what you have.

Under Dual taxation treaties, you might even get a rebate on your home home witholding-tax.

IronMac
Regular
Regular

Post by IronMac » Sun, 23 Jun 2013 11:46 am

Ok, as a followup.

Upon informing Scotia iTrade of my non-residency status they locked all of my accounts.

TDWaterhouse said that they can move everything over and everything would stay the same except that I can no longer contribute to my RRSP. Easier said than done! It took months of mailing, calling, a complaint letter and a visit to TD's merchant bank offices at Suntec before the situation was resolved.

If any other Canadians are considering a move to SG I strongly advise getting your finances in order before hopping on the plane.