Singapore Expats

10 things I hate about Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 8:19 pm

zzm9980 wrote:The cyclists that really piss me off are the (mostly) caucasian Lance Armstrong wannabes (ok, at least they were last year) that ride their road bikes two or three wide on East Coast Service Road, and aggressively swing out when a car attempts to pass. I'm cool with the "1.5 meter of space" campaign, and used to be a full-time now part time cyclist myself, but don't be dicks and ride next to each other.
Ah yes, the Charge Of The Lycra Brigade - not at all limited to Caucasians in my experience, but their selfish behaviour seems to be proportional to the amount they've spent on their bikes. Many of them also think it's perfectly acceptable to block the cycle track when they all stop to sip from their poncey carbon fibre water containers. This is presumably on the basis that they, being the most important cyclists in Singapore, are not riding at that point, so there's no reason to keep the path clear. :mad: :x
Be careful what you wish for

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:04 pm

Regarding cyclists, I find it really strange that they are allowed to perch infants on them and ride on pedestrian crossings etc.

I am a motorcyclist and find myself terribly handicapped, that I am not allowed to ride with my wife as pillion and holding our baby, like we do in developing countries. I understand that logic behind that though, but why do dont they implement same rule for cyclists. Even though they ride on the pedestrian walkways, at times when they have to cross the road, they use the actual road, which is as dangerous IMO!

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:08 pm

Wd40 wrote:Regarding cyclists, I find it really strange that they are allowed to perch infants on them and ride on pedestrian crossings etc.

I am a motorcyclist and find myself terribly handicapped, that I am not allowed to ride with my wife as pillion and holding our baby, like we do in developing countries. I understand that logic behind that though, but why do dont they implement same rule for cyclists. Even though they ride on the pedestrian walkways, at times when they have to cross the road, they use the actual road, which is as dangerous IMO!

like this wd40? :P

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:16 pm

Absolutely! Man, I really miss that privilege here. Its such an irony. In India, we can afford a car, so we dont need to do it, but we are allowed to do it. Here we cannot afford a car hence we want to do it but we are not allowed to do it. :(

Before our daughter was born, going to mustafa was a piece of cake. My wife and I on the bike and we could also get loads of groceries in the rear box. Now, its a big circus using Bus and MRT.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:29 pm

you realize the way people drive here its way too dangerous.
Also,I feel that drivers are extremely rude to pedestrians often in places where there is absolutely zero traffic and all the guy needs to do is allow an old lady to pass but instead makes her wait.
the behaviour is appaling

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:42 pm

I have been riding motorbike here for the last 3 years, about 30000 kms. I actually find it quite safe to ride here, as long as you keep your eye in the front, back, left, right etc. It usually takes 2 people to do a mistake for an accident to happen.

The only case, where I feel is very dangerous in Singapore is the rule where they allow green light you can turn right, while the vehicles in opposite direction are also allowed to come straight. This I feel is the biggest cause of road accidents here.

Other accidents are usually not so fatal. You need to be really unlucky to 1st get hit and then also get badly injured after getting hit.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 2:06 pm

Wd40 wrote:I have been riding motorbike here for the last 3 years, about 30000 kms. I actually find it quite safe to ride here, as long as you keep your eye in the front, back, left, right etc. It usually takes 2 people to do a mistake for an accident to happen.
Yes, I had a similar philosophy while riding in the US (Where traffic is much much faster). Since it is hard to see in all four directions at once, I always tried to go slightly faster than traffic. If everyone is going 50kmh, go 60. This way you're always slowly gaining, and you give yourself a bigger cushion and minimize the traffic you can't see behind you.

Edroche
Regular
Regular

Post by Edroche » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 1:30 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:The cyclists that really piss me off are the (mostly) caucasian Lance Armstrong wannabes (ok, at least they were last year) that ride their road bikes two or three wide on East Coast Service Road, and aggressively swing out when a car attempts to pass. I'm cool with the "1.5 meter of space" campaign, and used to be a full-time now part time cyclist myself, but don't be dicks and ride next to each other.
Ah yes, the Charge Of The Lycra Brigade - not at all limited to Caucasians in my experience, but their selfish behaviour seems to be proportional to the amount they've spent on their bikes. Many of them also think it's perfectly acceptable to block the cycle track when they all stop to sip from their poncey carbon fibre water containers. This is presumably on the basis that they, being the most important cyclists in Singapore, are not riding at that point, so there's no reason to keep the path clear. :mad: :x
As one of the Lycra Brigade it is pretty bad to see the foleign tarents cycling 1 or even 2 lanes into Robinson Road during the morning rush hour. Cars passing on their left and right. There was something online about a white dude pounding the back of a car that honked him. I don't agree with that but can see how they could get there. I dont think many will understand without riding the roads both in and out of town. Some drivers are barely conscious, seriously. There are times as a cyclist when you have to move out from the curb into the center of the lane when you are in at a red light or approaching cross roads. Indicating with your arm and checknig behind etc. A lot of the times cars will cut you off and dont indicate. Its pure survival and not just a case of cyclists being idiots. Speaking of which, drivers here seem to be lacking in spatial awareness and ehh motor skills.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 3:59 pm

Edroche wrote: Speaking of which, drivers here seem to be lacking in spatial awareness and ehh motor skills.
I've been a cyclist, runner, and driver here and back int he states, and always hate the other two groups depending on what I'm doing that day. :)

I agree, lots of really poor drivers here, but some of the cyclists just perpetuate a vicious cycle.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 28 Feb 2013 11:40 pm

I originally wasn't going to post a gripe in this thread, but to be honest there is something I genuinely hate about here that I haven't seen elsewhere, and I see a lot of it here.

Wet door handles on the way out of the men's room.

As if drying one's hands as a courtesy to other people is such a big effort.

The other thing is pissing on toilet seats. As if raising it was such a big deal.

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 9:31 am

Brah, I'm not a guy, but I think you'll find that kind of disgusting behavior anywhere. I have a friend who won't touch a men's room door knob....He's even been known to take his sock off to open a door! But he's the poster child for OCD, so I don't take that as normal....

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 10:25 am

Send greetings to your friend. I do the same. Well, I don't use socks but I avoid touching the toilet door knobs and handles like a plague. It should be not that surprising as per the local habit practically all the males wash they hands before and hardly ever after.

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 10:45 am

Oh - I really didn't want to know more about that hand washing thing!!

And I'll let my buddy know he has a brother in Singapore!!

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 10:49 am

I'm the same when it comes to (not) touching men's room door handles. Remember that scene in the movie 'The Aviator'? I've almost become Howard Hughes (in that respect anyway). And as X9200 says, it's truly appalling to see how many men leave the 'facilities' without washing their hands. FFS - didn't they learn anything about hygene from their parents or in school?

BTW, this is the same reason why I never eat peanuts or other snacks from a bowl in a bar.
Be careful what you wish for

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 11:33 am

Mi Amigo wrote:BTW, this is the same reason why I never eat peanuts or other snacks from a bowl in a bar.
Oh my gawd... I can never eat peanuts from any bowl ever again!