Singapore Expats

What's your best guess?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
dresch

What's your best guess?

Post by dresch » Thu, 28 Feb 2013 11:16 am

Hello all,

Banker moving from Melbourne to Singapore. Currently earning AUD122k pa with a bonus of between AUD20-30k.

Bonus ratio I anticipate would be similar when I move to Singapore.

This would not be viewed as a serious promotion, just me taking up a 'local' package in Singapore on equivalent/similar money. Having said that, there should be some incentive in this for me to transfer.

Currently AUD122k is approximately SGD150k.

I go from an average tax rate of 30% to about 10%. Woohoo.

Would you expect my salary to be north or south of SGD150k? And if so, by how much?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 28 Feb 2013 7:19 pm

You want to move from Aus to SG and not be any better or worse off at the end of the day?

Then a starting-point would be to look at an international 'Cost of living adjustment table'. These are published by global HR firms, and HR consultants. Google for it.

p.s. One of your largest considerations might be your housing needs in SG. But as you give no clues on that front, there is nothing more to add right now.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 28 Feb 2013 7:40 pm

Here's a starting point on the cost of living comparison:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co ... =Singapore
Be careful what you wish for

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 28 Feb 2013 7:57 pm

Ah good link, I forgot about that site!

[Can I suggest it is linked somewhere, as AFAICS, it is in neither the forum FAQ or SMS's list of useful sites?]

p.s. Is beer really more expensive in Aus than SG? :o

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 28 Feb 2013 10:20 pm

Good idea JR8. It's now on the top of the centre column under "Housing & Cost of Living" Thanks!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 9:31 am

JR8 wrote:Ah good link, I forgot about that site!

[Can I suggest it is linked somewhere, as AFAICS, it is in neither the forum FAQ or SMS's list of useful sites?]

The last time I was in Sydney, I remember the beers were sold within the range of AUD7 to 9 per bottle...

Edit to add: ...in a restaurant :P
Last edited by the lynx on Fri, 01 Mar 2013 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 10:11 am

JR8 wrote:Ah good link, I forgot about that site!

Take a gander:

http://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au/#ur ... 26page%3D1

https://www.coldstorage.com.sg/onlinesh ... eptCode=08

Note price per unit.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 9:02 pm

Thanks Nak,

I tried the find some more everyday brands to compare, but the bottles/cans/pack-sizes all seem to vary, I ended up almost seeing double.

Finally I think I found something close...

Woolworth - Aus
Hoegarden wheat beer 330ml bottle A$4.42 each

NTUC - SG
A 4-pack S$17.27, or S$4.32 each

With the FX conversion A$1 = S$1.26

Therefore: 4.42*1.26 = S$4.32
5.57/4.32 = The Aussie bottle is 29% more expensive that the SGn one.

Wow, who'd have thunk!

p.s.
If anyone can do a similar comparison between a global brand, something like Heineken or Carlsberg, I'd be interested to see it.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 9:13 pm

I would say comparing Hoegarden's price may not be the right thing to do. Hoegarden is considered premium in SG. You must compare SG's bread and butter beer(Tiger and Carlsberg) with Australia's bread and butter beer(Victoria Bitter)

http://www.myshopping.com.au/PT--147_Be ... fs_47016_e__

I would say the price of beer is cheaper in Australia
Last edited by Wd40 on Fri, 01 Mar 2013 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 9:16 pm

Wd40 wrote:I would say comparing Hoegarden's price may not be the right thing to do. Hoegarden is considered premium in SG. You must compare SG's bread and butter beer(Tiger and Carlsberg) with Australia's bread and butter beer
But I'm trying to compare apples with apples, and trying to avoid any variable. I hadn't thought it would prove such a challenge.

p.s. Actually now you mention it, yes perhaps Tiger and Fosters are equally as undrinkable!

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 9:26 pm

JR8 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:I would say comparing Hoegarden's price may not be the right thing to do. Hoegarden is considered premium in SG. You must compare SG's bread and butter beer(Tiger and Carlsberg) with Australia's bread and butter beer
But I'm trying to compare apples with apples, and trying to avoid any variable. I hadn't thought it would prove such a challenge.

p.s. Actually now you mention it, yes perhaps Tiger and Fosters are equally as undrinkable!
I would say comparing a particular brand in different countries wouldn't be comparing apples to apples. Since demand and supply economics come into picture.

I just read that Victoria Bitter(VB) is considered the working class male's beer in Australia. I think Tiger and Carlsberg enjoys the same status here.
Last edited by Wd40 on Fri, 01 Mar 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 9:29 pm

JR8 wrote:Thanks Nak,

I tried the find some more everyday brands to compare, but the bottles/cans/pack-sizes all seem to vary, I ended up almost seeing double.

Finally I think I found something close...

Woolworth - Aus
Hoegarden wheat beer 330ml bottle A$4.42 each

NTUC - SG
A 4-pack S$17.27, or S$4.32 each

With the FX conversion A$1 = S$1.26

Therefore: 4.42*1.26 = S$4.32
5.57/4.32 = The Aussie bottle is 29% more expensive that the SGn one.

Wow, who'd have thunk!

p.s.
If anyone can do a similar comparison between a global brand, something like Heineken or Carlsberg, I'd be interested to see it.

Hmm...

But interestingly, a Heineken 4 pack at CS is 14.45 SGD (11.43 AUD). No 4's in Woolies but their 6 pack is 23.95 SGD (18.93 AUD). A case of 24 is 67.01 SGD (53.04 AUD)

so...
(price per bottle in SGD)

Code: Select all

# per purchase         Oz     Singas
1                      5.20   6.40
4 pack                 5.20   3.61
6 pack                 4.16   4.54 (buy a 4 pack + 2 more bottles)
24 pack                2.79   3.61 (buy 6 4 packs)

it's not that simple then.

And also from experience, the price of beer in a restaurant/bar in Oz is 7-9 AUD per bottle/pint but in Singas, it's easily double that but in SGD.

And Wd40 has a point about local beer (psst. Have you heard about the lawsuit against bud for watering down their beer?)

Moreover, there's the how much you make versus how much you have to spend. Hence, the not-so-scientific-but-alarmingly-feels-accurate Big Mac Index: http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicd ... y-chart-18
Last edited by nakatago on Fri, 01 Mar 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 9:32 pm

Heineken and Carlsberg can be found in most 'uncle' convenience shops in SG (IME), and every 7-11. Maybe that's a way to compare them, find the 7-11 prices in SG and AUS.

VB. Difference there it's actually not a bad brew! I'm not an expert on Aussie beer but it might be the state beer (in Victoria state), but I've not seen it regarded as Australia's 'working man's beer'. My 2c would be that that is Fosters.

But maybe an Aussie can chip in? ...

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 9:36 pm

I got it from good old wiki ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fosters_Lager
While popular in many countries, particularly where it is brewed locally, Foster's Lager does not enjoy widespread success in Australia
The Foster's Group has tended to promote the brands of Carlton Draught (mainstream market) and Victoria Bitter (working class male market)
So VB is Foster's after all :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 01 Mar 2013 9:42 pm

Not even close. Just like Bud isn't close to Michelob.

I actually like VB, but I hate Fosters everywhere. I also like Toohey's Red & Blue as well if working.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers