Singapore Expats

e-XTEND rejection for 89 days stay

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
LongTimeHere

e-XTEND rejection for 89 days stay

Post by LongTimeHere » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 1:58 pm

Recently my in-laws extension of stay from 30 days to 89 days was rejected. It says 'no extension can be sought with ICA' which means it is quite final. On the ICA website 'on replies to media' it does state that face-to-face appeal is possible if there are special circumstances.

Has anybody ever tried a face-to-face appeal?

This is my in-laws 14th visit to Singapore and we have successfully extended many times before.Of course all that doesn't count but was just wondering if there is even a process for meeting face-to-face.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 2:34 pm

ive done the e-xtend previously in 2004 although not for 89 days.you can write a letter of appeal and submit to the officer your documents, and bring a local sponsor.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: e-XTEND rejection for 89 days stay

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 2:58 pm

LongTimeHere wrote:
This is my in-laws 14th visit to Singapore and we have successfully extended many times before.
How much time have they spent in country vs out of country since the first time they arrived? It sounds like they're here too much.

Are you or your in-laws Indian?

LongTimeHere

Post by LongTimeHere » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 3:17 pm

They visit once a year, and we have been here over 15 years as PR's. We are Indians and I know its tough for PR, EP , citizenship etc for our kind but this is just a visit pass extension. Their last visit was in Jan 2012.

Actually I looking for anybody with experience on the appeal process.

Reasons for rejection from ICA ... well no transparent rules so nobody knows.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 4:04 pm

I have found this blog that seems to detail the same problem you are having.

I have include 2 link one being a translation which isn't brilliant but it seems to say that it could be a problem with what is entered within the e-Xtend applications process.

I'm very surprised it's been turned down.

http://queenie1029.blogspot.sg/2010/10/e-xtend.html

http://translate.google.com.sg/translat ... CE8Q7gEwBA

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 4:06 pm

Saint wrote: I'm very surprised it's been turned down.
Nothing surprises me lately with anything the gahmen does.

LongTimeHere

Post by LongTimeHere » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 4:54 pm

@ Saint.

Thank you for sending the link & spending the time to look for the translation.

It does give some idea and from what I could gather those applicants at least got an interview with the officer.

LongTimeHere

Post by LongTimeHere » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 5:22 pm

@ zzm9980

Your earlier comment made me think about the days stayed and realized that this trip is different. You guys are so helpful.

They were here 20 days, then we flew out for 5 days on holiday, on return they were given 30 days which was good enough for us. We found out to our surprise this week that somebody else came back with us from holiday ;-). Hence we needed the extension and applied. I plan to show the Doctors certificate to the ICA officer if I do get an interview that we had no intent to circumvent the 90 day rule and are pleasantly surprised ourselves.

Anyway we haven't broken any rules to begin with and again I've stopped wondering why things are done is a certain way. Yesterdays news talks about the plight of poor Singaporeans who can't even get PR for their wives till they die.I'm just a foreigner from a 3rd world country who is not even considered talent anymore.

LongTimeHere

Post by LongTimeHere » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 2:23 pm

An update :D

Went to ICA today and explained our situation. Was told to fill up the long term pass sponsorship form. The ICA officer looked at our details, Dr's certificate and once convinced granted us an extension of 1.5 months which is just what we needed. She even gave us friendly advice.

Just a note that the extension is given from the day you meet ICA, so if approaching for extension do so near the expiry date of the short term visit pass.