Singapore Expats

Phuket or Krabi

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
Jersey2486

Phuket or Krabi

Post by Jersey2486 » Tue, 26 Feb 2013 9:34 pm

Hey

I have booked off a few days in March to have a long weekend in Thailand. I want to fly to either Krabi or Phuket but trying to decide which, as I will most probably be going alone and hoping to meet up with people there.

If I go to Phuket I would like to spend couple of days in Khao Lak and if I go to Krabi I will go to Koh Lanta. I could also try and fit in Phi Phi for a day trip with either.

Any recommendations? And will I be ok in these places on my own?

Thanks

Carla

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Feb 2013 10:23 pm

Be careful if you go to Phuket as you might come back Krabi. :o :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 26 Feb 2013 11:33 pm

A few years back we wanted to go to Koh Lanta, off Krabi, for a long weekend but the ferry schedule and transfers made it impractical; we'd have spent say 2 full days on 3 or 4 modes of transport, traveling to spend 2 days on holiday. Hardly relaxing especially as things like ferry schedules are often decided on a day to day basis, and if one link in the journey went wrong the whole thing could have turned into a nightmare.

We went to Phuket instead. I've been there a few times back in the 80s, but we picked a small boutique hotel at Karon right up on the hill, and relaxed, and took taxis here and there. It worked very well.

My suggestion is to try and pick a place where you can fly directly to (it does not have to be 'ruined'/commercial, Tioman Island, MY, is a case in point for a beach holiday, or Lombok...).

Happy travels!

davenga

Re: Phuket or Krabi

Post by davenga » Wed, 06 Mar 2013 9:02 pm

wish to visit phuket too, should be a nice place for take a breath

RonnieT

Post by RonnieT » Thu, 28 Mar 2013 6:27 pm

Hey Carla, I've been to Phuket and Koh Samet before (that's right, Koh Samet) and both are nice but offer different things. If you're looking for something less touristy, and also close by to Bangkok, then Koh Samet is the way to go! They have a main beach on the island where it seems everyone hangs out at during the night and they have a fire show on the beach too. But you'll need to go to Bangkok first and then hire a car (not that expensive if you share it) or take a bus to get to Ban Phe. From there you'll take a 5-min boat ride onto the island.

I think Phuket is nicer if you plan on staying in a villa with friends or significant other
:wink:

Have a great trip girlfriend!