Singapore Expats

Baby born in Singapore to British Father and American Mother

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
jimboo2000

Baby born in Singapore to British Father and American Mother

Post by jimboo2000 » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 11:43 am

Hi

This might have been answered elsewhere but I couldn't find a specific question that was the same.

Our baby is due to be born in May. Father holds British Citizenship and Mother is an American Citizen.

I've got a few questions below which I still can't figure out.

I gather it won't have Singaporean status as neither of us are citizens.

1)Is the baby eligible to be a dual citizen of US/UK?
2)We intend to travel to the US for a couple of weeks in June, so I gather baby will need his own passport?
3) Is it easier to get a british or american passport in this case? (or both?)
4)Do we need to apply for a DP for the baby straightaway?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 4:00 pm

The baby, if the mother is a US citizen by birth and has lived in the US for at least 5 consecutive years (I think that's the minimum duration but have not looked it up today) then a child born overseas can get a birth certificate for the child as a citizen by birth of (Birth of a US Citizen born Overseas). I do not know if the UK has the same type of process or not. I just took the Certificate of Birth from the local hospital to the US Embassy and did the necessary notification/application and it was duly issued to both of my children. The mother is not a US citizen.

http://www.travel.state.gov/law/citizen ... _5199.html
Birth Abroad to One Citizen and One Alien Parent in Wedlock

A child born abroad to one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent acquires U.S. citizenship at birth under Section 301(g) of the INA provided the U.S. citizen parent was physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for the time period required by the law applicable at the time of the child's birth. (For birth on or after November 14, 1986, a period of five years physical presence, two after the age of fourteen, is required. For birth between December 24, 1952 and November 13, 1986, a period of ten years, five after the age of fourteen, is required for physical presence in the United States or one of its outlying possessions to transmit U.S. citizenship to the child.) The U.S. citizen parent must be genetically related to the child to transmit U.S. citizenship.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 6:45 pm

The five year don't have to be consecutive. For my daughter, initial appointment at the embassy to passport in hand took about three weeks. This was US embassy in Hanoi, Vietnam.

If the father is the American and anything is sketchy about the paperwork they will order a DNA test (for example, can't provide evidence you were in the same country when the baby was conceived. E.g., passport chop). I'm told it's a multiple month wait and costs thousands.

MrBear
Regular
Regular

Re: Baby born in Singapore to British Father and American Mo

Post by MrBear » Tue, 26 Feb 2013 10:43 am

jimboo2000 wrote:Hi

This might have been answered elsewhere but I couldn't find a specific question that was the same.

Our baby is due to be born in May. Father holds British Citizenship and Mother is an American Citizen.

I've got a few questions below which I still can't figure out.

I gather it won't have Singaporean status as neither of us are citizens.

1)Is the baby eligible to be a dual citizen of US/UK?
2)We intend to travel to the US for a couple of weeks in June, so I gather baby will need his own passport?
3) Is it easier to get a british or american passport in this case? (or both?)
4)Do we need to apply for a DP for the baby straightaway?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards
I'll start by saying Congrats, I've just gone through this process so can shed a little light feel free to PM me if you have questions or write it here.

1.) the UK does not impose a restriction on Dual citizen, I have obtains Irish for my little girl and will do the UK later down the line for now only need one.
2.) yes, you need a passport here to register for a DP
3.) no idea sorry but the process for Irish I had to send the birth cert to be registered before applying for passport. You do not need to do this with British you can produce your passport and birth cert, your wife's and your marriage and that's about it.
4.) DP yes, first steps are to register with Hospital and get Birth Cert, they will issue you a special pass for your child, at the same time apply for your passport of choice. Now you have the birth Cert you can apply for the DP and leave the passport number blank, you can update this when you issue the pass on line once it get approved. please note that if you need to extend your special pass make sure you have posted in the DP application before hand and then the MOM will be happy to extend the pass.

1 - 30 days you are covered but need to get birth cert and then special pass. - do ASAP so you can submit DP forms

1- 42 days you will have the special pass

Day after getting birth cert apply for passport can take 4 - 6 weeks
Day after getting birth cert apply for DP

day 41 or 42 go to MOM (get a taix as that will get you in the gate if and to the front of the line if you go for before opening (i think it is 8am) get extra 2 - 4 weeks while, I got my DP within 4 weeks so when i asked for extension i showed that and explain i was waiting for passport to issue pass.

All of above are done and MOM on 1500 Bendameer road (new building)

Once you have passport and DP issue letter and have issues on line. Book appointment. To register & finger print (child will not have prints taken but that is the type of booking you need to make)
Things to take to MOM (circular road for pass issue and register)
You, Wife, Child, IC's for both, Passport, Birth certs, apointment letter, issue letter (printed from net don't lose this) Marriage cert if you have.
Go in register in and out in 5 mins.

Go back to pick up pass, you can go (if main pass holder in family) take your child birth cert and issue letter that they stamped and PASSPORT (i forgot this)

Your good to go!

I hope this helps
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears!