Singapore Expats

Hong Kong girls visiting Singapore for a week

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
Ameliajen

Post by Ameliajen » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 11:26 pm

Akimbo wrote:It's getting OOT from ameliajen's thread...okay, to make it slightly straight again.

"Decent budget" as according to what Just See said is true, depends on what you want to see and what kind of budget do you have. Most of what he has mentioned will cost somewhere from free (Chinatown) to $10 (SAM) to $30 (Art Science Museum) for entry.

Locations such as Clarke Quay, Boat Quay, Orchard, Merlion Park are free to enter, but of course if you want to have drinks there, that'd be a different story (except for Merlion Park) to be somewhere around $12 a pint to $25 for a cocktail.

If you want a tour on the Chinese heritage of Singapore, I'd suggest going to the Asian Civilization Museum or National Museum (check for the current exhibits first though, might not be of Chinese history)

But of course, you can definitely go for Chinatown and follow the tour there. There's Secrets of the Red Lantern tour (cost around $30) Red Clogs Down the Five-Foot-Way tour ($30) which would take you around the Chinatown area and go through the (slightly) old streets of the old heritage. You gotta book them first though, and they only have each of the tours once a week (Red lantern on Fridays, Red Clogs Tuesdays)

You can try looking at this.

http://www.city-discovery.com/singapore/chinatown

And lastly, if you want the "true" Chinese culture of Singapore, I'd suggest go down to a local hawker stands every single night and observe as well as listen to the different "aunties" and "uncles" who's going to be all around you and also serving you.

~~~~~~~~~~

JT, sorry, I can't do 7 pm tomorrow. I might be okay with hanging out at 930 arnd CQ. I might leave before 11 though.

PS please post this in another thread, instead of hijacking the girl's. I'm sure the posters and mods would appreciate that :wink:
Wow Akim, you've been very helpful. I will stay at Chinatown so I will definitely check out the night market. I will visit the Merlion park too as it is such a neat symbol for SG. Now after you guys have suggested so many places 2 visit, I'm sure this is goin 2 be a very fulfilling trip! :D

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Hong Kong girls visiting Singapore for a week

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 26 Feb 2013 8:46 am

Ameliajen wrote:Hi ecureilx, thx for the link. Seems the nightlife there is quite exciting.

I heard the strict legal punishment doesn't apply to westerners. Local people hate the system. Is it true?
I don't know who is giving you such info, the rules apply to all .. and every ..

Recently a visiting European colleague of ours was fined 500$ for littering, and no excuse ..

So it is one for all, and all for one .. !!!

locals hate the rules ? you mean they want to dirty the place up, throw litter and pee in public and walk around naked and do jay walk and paint graffiti in public property etc etc ?? I am missing something here ..

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Tue, 26 Feb 2013 10:01 am

ecureilx wrote:
Ameliajen wrote:Hi ecureilx, thx for the link. Seems the nightlife there is quite exciting.

I heard the strict legal punishment doesn't apply to westerners. Local people hate the system. Is it true?
I don't know who is giving you such info, the rules apply to all .. and every ..

Recently a visiting European colleague of ours was fined 500$ for littering, and no excuse ..

So it is one for all, and all for one .. !!!

locals hate the rules ? you mean they want to dirty the place up, throw litter and pee in public and walk around naked and do jay walk and paint graffiti in public property etc etc ?? I am missing something here ..
On the contrary, I see lots of people still jaywalking around (of course there ain't any police) as long as it is convenient and doesn't bother anyone, but most of the time they will be at the zebra cross. The litter and pee thing is of course, good.

As for the graffiti...
http://artradarjournal.com/2012/06/06/s ... -arrested/

It's your opinion whether she was in the right or in the wrong...I bet if it were a guy, people wouldn't be so tolerating...

@ameliajen
Thx for telling me that my nick is interesting (the nick is a bit special to me. I know Just See is just gonna :roll: after reading that)
Perhaps we can see each other when you come here later with your colleague.
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 26 Feb 2013 10:11 am

Akimbo wrote:...f course, good.

As for the graffiti...
http://artradarjournal.com/2012/06/06/s ... -arrested/
... .
Ah, So you see the creative side .. good to know that.

And you pick out one incident and claim this place is full of graffiti and sticker ? I can't get it though ..

BTW, one of my volunteer beneficiary, who is partially blind did complain that she had problems trying to understand the direction of the arrows, in the pedestrian crossing- as the Sticker lady did paste on top of the indentations on the Pedestrian crossing .. and That, my friend, isn't funny ..

Many many years ago, when I was assisting some kids in an orphanage, a ~ 15 year or so old kid was busy with a candle and pouring wax over the public park benches - and a local guy stepped in and told him to stop it .. I was like "ah, come on .. he is a kid .. " and the Singaporean went "he is damaging public property, oh,wait, you can help scrape off the wax, if you feel for him .. deal ?? "

And that didn't sound wrong ..

And I guess you are not a native or lived here long enough to know freedom of expression shouldn't become destruction of public property ..