Singapore Expats

Distance too far?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
JordanW

Distance too far?

Post by JordanW » Sun, 24 Feb 2013 7:12 pm

Hi all, my first post and want to thank all of the regulars for the invaluable information you often provide.

I'll be moving my family of four to SG from Australia in 4 weeks and we are working through options of where we'd like to end up living. I will be working in Changi and we are hoping to get the kids in to Stamford American school, so where we live will depend a lot on this.

I had a look at a couple of places in Tanah Merah that were ok, however when we look online most of the places we really like the look of are in District 26. I've mentioned this to the agent who's been helping me and he thinks this is too far away and extremely inconvenient, but I was hoping someone with a bit of local knowledge could help me understand if this true or not. We will not have a car and will rely on public transport a lot, is this asking too much?

Appreciate any advice anyone can provide.

Thanks,
Jordan

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 24 Feb 2013 11:34 pm

How far is too far for you? Without knowing your own opinion on that, and your tolerance for your kids taking MRT, hard to say. It would be a couple of train transfers from Tanah Merah, but not a particularly long distance.

Try a website like "gothere.sg". It will let you put in starting and ending points and the time you wish to travel, and give you optimal routes, costs, and travel times for cars, taxi, bus, and/or MRT.

JordanW

Post by JordanW » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 6:14 am

Thank you so much zzm, that site is priceless. I have checked some times on where we like the look of and it all seems reasonable.

Will go look at some places when we land, thank you. :)

TekSeng

Post by TekSeng » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 12:56 pm

Google Maps also does local transportation routes and timing. I have found them to be quite accurate and helpful when i am going to an unfamiliar area. Might be fun to show the kids as well.
Tek Seng / Funds Administrator