Singapore Expats

Singapore Post package delivery

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Singapore Post package delivery

Post by BedokAmerican » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 6:56 pm

We've had a few packages sent to us from family in the U.S. If something doesn't fit in the cluster mailbox, shouldn't SingPost try to deliver it to our door?

They have done that a few times and it's been great, but other times I get a note in the box that says they tried to deliver on a certain date and were unable and to go to the post office to pick it up. A few of those times, I was home the WHOLE DAY. There's no way I would've not heard the door chime because that noise is so loud it can wake the dead. I normally wouldn't mind, except getting to the post office can be difficult.

Does anyone know if delivery people just put those notices in boxes because they don't feel like riding up the elevators?

Also, sometimes the note in the box says I have to go to one post office, but other times the note says to go to a different post office. Doesn't sound too efficient.

Is this normal? Has anyone else had issues? Is SingPost open to feedback or answering questions or will they just stutter?

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 7:06 pm

We had the same issue with delivery guys too lazy to walk upstairs (ours was fourth floor without lift), so they just put the notification sheet into the mailbox (downstairs). Complaints to Singpost didn't change anything.

iamsen
Regular
Regular

Post by iamsen » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 7:10 pm

I've had packages delivered to units B, D, F, whatever despite it clearly written on the package as unit E.

And it's not a one off or rare occurence either, I get these packages once or twice a month, EVERY MONTH. You'd think the idiots would've learned by now, 'Oh, another huge ass package from Japan, must be that guy over there.'

When I was living in Kobe, after only 3 trips, the delivery guy knew that I would most likely be home by 7pm, and always arrived between 7.30 ~ 8pm every single time.

I mean, just use your freak brains. Please.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 7:59 pm

THEY NEVER BOTHER.

Singapore postmen and couriers just leave the notice of failed delivery. They don't knock or if they do, they don't bother waiting for a response.

It happened to me several times already, it's not funny. Other Singapore forums are also filled with complaints about how their packages are never delivered and have to be collected at Paya Lebar.

I had a guy used SpeedPost express delivery but the stupid delivery man didn't even try to contact me so I could receive the package and had to go all the way to Paya Lebar. I told the guy what happened and he was dismayed because his extra payment for express service was in vain.

The whole island hates them.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 9:36 pm

if you've paid for and used fedex/ups... it'd be the same.

silent and swift.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 10:35 am

I guess I'm the exception. I get packages from the states or China once or twice a month, and maybe just once or twice it wasn't delivered. Most of these packages quite large. They often come back the same evening too after I've received a notice on the door.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 11:39 am

It depends on location so what local postal office is in charge of delivery and obviously service quality vary. I had even more annoying situations with Speed Post (aka EMS) when they even did not bothered to leave the advice.

A different but related issue: regardless the location it looks like many postmen around got problems understanding that a parcel fitting into the box with all the boxes open (they open one big front door to place it inside) does not necessary mean you will be able to remove it through your somehow smaller single mail box door (this is how you get the post out). Had already a few extraction to get the parcels out.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 11:45 am

taxico wrote:if you've paid for and used fedex/ups... it'd be the same.

silent and swift.
A flatmate told me once when he opened the door, the courier was just on his way back to the lift! It was DHL, I think.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

proxymoron
Regular
Regular

Post by proxymoron » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 11:47 am

Completely agree with Nakatago - they simply dont bother.

These guys are just the "Delivery Advice Note" delivery team. They dont bother to knock the door or ring door bell. Just leave the notice and go back.

I prefer to do my shopping online, and now it has become customary to pay a visit to post office for collection. Tried to complain to them and the supervisor aunty told me "Yes, we are aware of the issues. We have a disciplinary problems in delivery team". She did also refer to people from certain nationality (not race) who are the ones causing most complaints.

In a nutshell... never pay for the "express delivery", its useless in Singapore... give them a call once you have the slip, get the shipment moved to most convenient post office for collection...and just collect from the post office.
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 11:53 am

nakatago wrote: The whole island hates them.
SSHHHHH.. Singpost is 'private' ;) and hence, is a symbol of privatised former public sector entity's Efficiency ?

:)

I never had issues with any Singpost delivery, as most of my stuff from HK are shipped by Singpost, except for the Reader's Digest gifts/purchase, which, invariably, are just about a millimeter larger than the post box.

Solution: I called RD and told them i don't want any of their paid/free stuff anymore ..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 12:40 pm

I get packages delivered to my door all the time by SingPost. It's only if nobody is home during the day (or my MiL had the damn TV in her bedroom turned up full volume and the door closed). But if anybody is home they will always make the trip to the unit to deliver if it won't fit through the mail slot.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 1:18 pm

x9200 wrote:It depends on location so what local postal office is in charge of delivery and obviously service quality vary. I had even more annoying situations with Speed Post (aka EMS) when they even did not bothered to leave the advice.

A different but related issue: regardless the location it looks like many postmen around got problems understanding that a parcel fitting into the box with all the boxes open (they open one big front door to place it inside) does not necessary mean you will be able to remove it through your somehow smaller single mail box door (this is how you get the post out). Had already a few extraction to get the parcels out.
I had that same issue once with a package being overstuffed in the box that I couldn't get it out. I actually had to go get scissors and cut the package open while it was still sitting in the mail box and then pull out the contents. I then was able to collapse the packaging enough to yank it out.

snowqueen
Chatter
Chatter

Post by snowqueen » Sun, 24 Feb 2013 8:15 am

When we lived at our previous condo on Bayshore Road, the delivery guys always came to deliver packages (and we were on the 17th floor).

Now I'm in a ground floor unit, I ALWAYS have to collect any packages that are too big for the mailbox. They can no longer be bothered.

Also, White Sands Post office is a huge pain in the ass, there's always a massive queue so can spend at least 20-30 minutes waiting to collect my parcels.

I'm always irritated by the fact that people sending Western Union transactions back home have the lion share of the customer service desks. Only 1 desk for posting/collecting mail and 3 for sending money abroad. The Queue for post services is often going out the door.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 8:46 am

snowqueen wrote:I'm always irritated by the fact that people sending Western Union transactions back home have the lion share of the customer service desks. Only 1 desk for posting/collecting mail and 3 for sending money abroad. The Queue for post services is often going out the door.
Ah .. you missed it didn't you ?? Singpost is PRIVATE !! Parcel collection doesn't make them much revenue vs Western Union and other services !!

Same in Sengkang Post Office too - there is only one queue for parcels and stretches all the way past the lift lobby .. while the other queues are all pretty empty ..

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 25 Feb 2013 9:51 am

ecureilx wrote:
snowqueen wrote:I'm always irritated by the fact that people sending Western Union transactions back home have the lion share of the customer service desks. Only 1 desk for posting/collecting mail and 3 for sending money abroad. The Queue for post services is often going out the door.
Ah .. you missed it didn't you ?? Singpost is PRIVATE !! Parcel collection doesn't make them much revenue vs Western Union and other services !!

Same in Sengkang Post Office too - there is only one queue for parcels and stretches all the way past the lift lobby .. while the other queues are all pretty empty ..
Singpost is going to make a lot more profit per customer on remittance than shipping parcels.

That said, I've done both multiple times at Singpost and no matter the queue length or number of available agents, I am always in and out in much less time when sending a parcel than sending money. Also, the remittance desk will take people from the other lines when their queue is empty.