Singapore Expats

Singaporeans obsession with Plastic bags

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 5:47 pm

I was wondering what the hell he was talking about as well but as I was busy, I couldn't go find a link to the awesome rebound that the Bald Eagle has made. One of my favourite sites is the Decorah Eagles site. I've watched 3 nesting seasons so far.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 5:52 pm

JR8 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote: The American Eagle numbers are declining due to DDT contamination

---------------------------------------
'Bald eagles have staged a remarkable population rebound and have recovered to the point that they no longer need the protection of the Endangered Species Act.

Thus, on June 28, 2007, the Service announced the recovery of our nation’s symbol and removal from the list of threatened and endangered species.

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/eagle/recovery/biologue.html

yes I saw your signature.. and it happened only because DDT was err BANNED?
had it not been banned in time the bald eagle would have possibly been extinct?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 6:17 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
JR8 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote: The American Eagle numbers are declining due to DDT contamination

'Bald eagles have staged a remarkable population rebound and have recovered to the point that they no longer need the protection of the Endangered Species Act.

Thus, on June 28, 2007, the Service announced the recovery of our nation’s symbol and removal from the list of threatened and endangered species.

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/eagle/recovery/biologue.html

yes I saw your signature.. and it happened only because DDT was err BANNED?
had it not been banned in time the bald eagle would have possibly been extinct?
But that is not what you originally said, is it? We all know DDT was banned. We also know that Bald Eagles have been on the rebound for quite a few years now. You initially claimed they were still on the decline. Now you are trying to crawfish around with misdirection.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 7:46 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:^

I only found 2 reports which had any real value in it.

http://www.unep.org/regionalseas/marine ... report.pdf

http://www.algalita.org/uploads/Plastic ... Gyre-1.pdf

Some more solid data but very isolated and not statistically relevant.

I will disagree with x9200 about cottage industries being more polluting than a plastic industry and actually It depends on country to country. In the western world there are stringent Quality measures to ensure the contaminants in run off water by industries adhere to some permissible limits. Also the water is treated before run off.

In the developing world, this need not be the case. There are hundreds of small scale industries making pharmaceuticals,plastics,dye factories etc etc
letting off water without treating it. The pollution caused by cottage industry vs a small scale industry making styrene based products is manifold

How do you know that? Besides, you said SE-Asia and ASEAN countries and they are in average not particularly well known to be the developed world.

this is what typically happens :-| :-|

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 8:20 pm

the reference to ASEAN and south Asia was w.r.t to the plants [flora] not industrial plants.

How do I know what? the pollution caused by small scale industries making plastics vs cottage industries?
Heh! you see these so called "industrialized areas" in and around residential areas in places like India, you don't need to have special powers to see what these guys are upto.
They take their waste products and dump it just about anywhere. by the side of the roads, ditches, large drains anywhere.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:14 pm

There was a news item today on the BBC about dangers of plastics with food, I couldn't find it on their website, they may post it tomorrow

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 21 Feb 2013 11:08 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:the reference to ASEAN and south Asia was w.r.t to the plants [flora] not industrial plants.

Sorry, I am lost at this point. You want to have this cottage industries to be up and running in the developed countries but raw materials taken from the countries of usual habitat of the respective plants (i.e. SE-A)? Than I guess it adds transportation costs and transportation environmental impact to my earlier list.

How do I know what? the pollution caused by small scale industries making plastics vs cottage industries?
Heh! you see these so called "industrialized areas" in and around residential areas in places like India, you don't need to have special powers to see what these guys are upto.
They take their waste products and dump it just about anywhere. by the side of the roads, ditches, large drains anywhere.
I am lost again, you want to have the cottage industry to be in the developed countries as opposition to regular industry in SE-A (etc.)? Any reason why this particular configuration?

Besides, even in the developed countries, there is no way any cottage industries would have more stringent control and monitoring than bigger plants. Bigger in this case is always more economical and more optimal and better monitored.
Yet another thing is whether the 'cottage villagers' from the developed countries will be that interested in doing low skill low technology job with hardly any electricity and machinery. I seriously doubt it.