Singapore Expats

EAGLES GATHERING 2013

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

EAGLES GATHERING 2013

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 4:34 pm

Just thought I'd plant a seed...
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 5:37 pm

Was just waiting for someone to broach the subject...... :cool:

For the record, Don has sold Phad Thai to a couple of expats and they are interested in hosting us as well. I've had a couple of emails back & forth in mid December after the takeover (Don has recommended them as well).
Quick note to follow on from Don's (Phad Thai's) mail to you. My name is Dan Mountstephen, I just took over Phad Thai on Mackenzie Road in Singapore. I understand from Don that we did a couple of dinner events for you last year. Don mentioned you wanted to arrange another event? Happy to arrange a special menu/happy hour all night or whatever you suggest?
and subsequently,
Glad you enjoyed the ambiance! I'm renovating slightly, giving it a fresh lick o'paint to improve the look but other than that we will keep the core mood the same. Any other suggestions glad to accomodate if I can?
Or we can head back down to Saint's Juban Stand down on the quay. Or someplace else that you all think would be a suitable venue. Suggestions on dates (Fri or Sat preferrably)...

Let's hear it Guys & Gals.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 8:31 pm

I like the Juban stand. Nice ambiance. The Thai place may be nice too, admittedly I've never been there, but I'll still vote for Juban stand.

Plus maybe the cosplay girls next door will have nice outfits on again. :P :cool:

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 9:56 pm

I'm good with either, I kinda feel like I'm betrayig Don going to the restaurant he sold, but, I hear they still have the same chef so the food should be as good for sure! I vote Phad Thai.
nutnut

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 9:19 am

Juban this round. I missed the last gathering and I'm keen to check out Saint's place.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:06 am

Maybe it is better to "rotate" the places? Juban is more convenient for me, but I've never been to Phad Thai... Besides, one negative thing I remember from Juban - the restaurant nearby turned on the music very loud. Was difficult to communicate. On the other hand, we were allowed to stay very long at Juban. In fact, as I remember, we moved out only at 2 am. :)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 12:18 pm

I would prefer Pad Thai and this is for the ambience and food choice. It's back street, it's quiet, less people.
I guess we will have to vote like last time or find a third place.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 1:18 pm

The location (transport wise) is ideal at Phad Thai (across the street from the MRT station) Additionally, if they have, as noted, kept their kitchen staff, if you like Thai, it's excellent. It isn't however a good place to pub crawl from but it's a great place for having a gathering with good food and not having to scream at the top of ones lungs to try to be heard by the person sitting next to you. (My biggest complaint down on the quay)

I vote for Phad Thai this round. But also would go back to the Juban Stand again as well. I like the idea of rotation and would welcome a third choice as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 1:30 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Maybe it is better to "rotate" the places? Juban is more convenient for me, but I've never been to Phad Thai... Besides, one negative thing I remember from Juban - the restaurant nearby turned on the music very loud. Was difficult to communicate. On the other hand, we were allowed to stay very long at Juban. In fact, as I remember, we moved out only at 2 am. :)
No longer a problem after they got a "visit"

Lion Dance tonight at 7pm if anyone is around!

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 1:33 pm

What time Phad Thai is closed? If it is Friday, I'll be late again...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 1:52 pm

Sergei82 wrote:What time Phad Thai is closed? If it is Friday, I'll be late again...
New owners, not sure, but seem to want to please. Before it was kept open till after midnight specifically for our bunch. The owner joined us as well. The new owners are also Expats so I would expect they might be present. Will contact them soonest if there is sufficient interest from the flock of eagles. ;-)

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 1:56 pm

If it's closed by 10 or 11, definitely Juban is better.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 7:07 pm

Yes, SMS, email Dan and find out!
nutnut

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 9:22 pm

Done. :cool:

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 11:44 pm

And? So what about timing and spatial coordinates of our convergence?