Singapore Expats

day trading sole proprietorship

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
terra_fmsg

day trading sole proprietorship

Post by terra_fmsg » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 9:04 pm

Hi Group Members,

First of all apologies if I am asking question that has been answered before, I tried searching in archives and found similar questions but not exactly same as my case so posting it here.

I am SPR (since 2011) living in SG with my husband and kids, I never worked in Singapore before.

I am qualified trader (worked in IBanks before in HK). I am thinking of starting a day trading sole proprietorship company, now my questions are

1) My trading activity will not be day trading exactly but still I will do frequent trades, something like few hundred trades a month to begin with, I heard that for capital gains there is no tax in Singapore but I don't think my trading pattern will be treated as investment/ capital gains so I plan to register a business and do it in legal way i.e pay taxes etc.., Is my understanding correct ?

2) We currently rent an apartment, can I give this address as my business address when a I register a company ? Do I need to get permission from owner of our apartment ?

3) I googled for bookkeeping/ accounting companies and contacted couple of them, they all seem to be willing to do it for my potential business, but the moment I explain my business as exchange listed futures trading, they make very strange faces as if I am trying to do a scam. I am sure that there are lot of traders doing trading for living in Singapore and hence I should not get strange looks from accounting guys, Does anyone in group has any recommendation for reliable accounting guys for this purpose.

4) Since I never worked in Singapore, I don't have CPF/Medisave, Is it required to register sole proprietorship company here ?

Thanks for your patience to read and hoping to get help from this forum.

TF

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 9:34 pm

1: yes.

2: yes and AFAIK, you don't need permission from the owner.

home office details (non-HDB):

http://edanet.ura.gov.sg/dcd/homeoffice ... /HOfaq.jsp

other details:

http://edanet.ura.gov.sg/dcd/homeoffice ... gister.jsp

4:

if you're a sole-proprietor, medisave contribution is compulsory (if you hit the min $6k annual income requirement) - pegged to your income with a limit of 4-5k in annual contributions. CPF is not necessary.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 12:14 am

Just to add to what taxico said: If you form a pte ltd, then you would pay yourself a salary and then would be subject to CPF. This could be a good thing, as you will eventually get it all back, although the rate of return is not huge.

teck21
Chatter
Chatter

Post by teck21 » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 10:41 am

I believe your company income will be assessed as trading income, and taxed according to corporate tax rates here.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 10:55 am

teck21 wrote:I believe your company income will be assessed as trading income, and taxed according to corporate tax rates here.
True, but for the first three years there is an exclusion of the first $100,000 of profit.

terra_fmsg

Post by terra_fmsg » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 11:08 am

Thanks guys, I will explore pte ltd, looks like this is better option, any recommendation for professional who can help me set this up and handle various things involved.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 12:15 pm

terra_fmsg wrote:Thanks guys, I will explore pte ltd, looks like this is better option, any recommendation for professional who can help me set this up and handle various things involved.
Email me for my corporate accountant. Set it up and handles all my secretarial and filing chores.

Zeke

Post by Zeke » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 6:51 pm

can i ask something, doesn't terra_fmsg require a Capital Markets Services License in order to trade futures and securities ?

terra_fmsg

Post by terra_fmsg » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 8:11 pm

I am not sure, but since I am trading on my own money (no client / no investor) why do I need a license. I trade using my online brokerage account even now, although my trading volume is quite small at the moment.

SE would you know about license requirement?

Thanks

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 9:06 pm

Zeke wrote:can i ask something, doesn't terra_fmsg require a Capital Markets Services License in order to trade futures and securities ?
no. she's not a rep nor a company trading for others/earning a commission.

Zeke

Post by Zeke » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 1:53 am

thanks for the clarification taxico!

so even with one investor you will have to get a license?

in many countries you require license above a certain number of investors or above a certain amount of Asset under management.

What is the regulation in Singapore?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 2:27 am

Why do it via a 'corporate vehicle'? Why not do it in a personal capacity?

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 20 Feb 2013 12:46 pm

Zeke wrote:...so even with one investor you will have to get a license?

in many countries you require license above a certain number of investors or above a certain amount of Asset under management.

What is the regulation in Singapore?
http://www.ifaq.gov.sg/mas/apps/fcd_faqmain.aspx

some rules have been revised stricter last year.

njr

Post by njr » Sat, 03 Aug 2013 10:52 pm

Hi terra_fmsg,

I've been doing a bit of research and came across your posting in this forum. I am thinking about relocating to Singapore to do exactly the same as what you are doing. I am a trader and generally trade more than 100 trades per month and an annual profit of over 100k USD. I was wondering what the outcome of your research was in terms of setting up company structures, working permits, etc. Any advice, tips, contact you have would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks......

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 03 Aug 2013 11:11 pm

I thought day traders always lose money. I would be interested to know if anyone consistently makes money by trading gains alone.