Singapore Expats

Change name in Travel document, PR still pending

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sieasy

Change name in Travel document, PR still pending

Post by sieasy » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 8:45 am

Hi I am new in this forum but I have been reading your stories for quite a while.

Me and hubby applied for PR on November 2012. Got married on May 2012. At the time of application, the travel documents that I passed was still my maiden name. This year, I am about to renew my passport and plan to amend my last name to my hubby's name.

I am aware that once I change my travel document, I have to inform my employer so they can update my employment pass too.

Our application is still on pending. Any idea what are the steps I need to do once I have changed my passport? How do I update ICA?

Thank you.

I appreciate all your help..

iloverice
Regular
Regular

Post by iloverice » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 5:27 pm

Hi.. if you allow me to comment. If it's me, I will not change my name on my passport first, as I'm not sure how ICA will update it on my application. Is it really urgent to change it as soon as possible? Update on EP is easy, but to request for the officer to update your name while your application is under processing..? Well, it's just me anyway.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 9:26 pm

I suggest that you make a trip down to ICA to inform them. Also bring all supporting documents at the same time. DO NOT do as iloverice suggests. You will then find yourself in deep brown stuff when you get your PR as you will have to produce all your current documents. Your old passport will be voided once you change your name. if the issue date isn't a couple of days old, then the ICA officer will suspect you are trying to pull something and that WILL throw a spanner in the works.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sieasy

Post by sieasy » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 4:40 pm

Thanks for your reply SMS and iloverice.

SMS, do you think It’s better to change my passport details after I get the approval (high hopes!)?

Or should I proceed with the renewal while it is pending?

I am scheduled to go to our embassy on the 21st of March. And may take 6 weeks before I get the new Passport.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 4:47 pm

Go ahead and wait. But I think I would also take down any information to support your name change when you get your PR. Just make sure your current passport is still valid when you go to ICA.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 4:59 pm

Just a side question: Is it a must around here for a newly-married woman to change her last name to take her husband's last name?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 5:33 pm

No. And most do not. Although my wife did when we got married.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 5:56 pm

Mine did, and then decided a few years later that she preferred to keep her maiden name, so then we had to get everything changed back. Whqat a ^@#%*& nightmare that was. If it weren't for true love... 8-)
Be careful what you wish for

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 18 Feb 2013 7:08 pm

my wife wants our future children (if any) to take HER last name...

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 9:03 am

Thanks for clarifying.

For one moment I had a blonde moment, because I took OP as a local, hence my question if the changing maiden name to husband's is also as common among locals here as in the West.

Bah. The question would be more interesting to answer if there are locals who do that, because I know it is not commonly practised.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 9:12 am

Lynx, my wife IS local.

But, as noted, it's uncommon here.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 9:31 am

@the lynx,

I'm local chinese.
I don't change my name when I marry. Actually no one did that. The most is add husband surname in-front of our own name include our own surname. But it is very uncommon for us to do it. I had not come across any of my friends did this.

We don't change our surname because surname is inherit from our father.
Change surname is equal that you want to change your father. Which is no no.

The only time, we will have our husband surname is when we die.
Our tomb will craft as family of "husband-surname" then follow by our own name include our own surname.

That is the time, when the husband surname will come into picture.

It is commonly practice for Chinese from Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan, China and Hong Kong.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 9:40 am

This is one of the Hong Kong lady politician( Chief Secretary for Administration of Hong Kong Government. ) that has the husband surname in front of her

Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor,

Lam is her husband surname
Cheng is her surnamce
Yuet-ngor is her name.

Traditional Chinese 林鄭月娥
Simplified Chinese æž—éÆ’‘月娥