Singapore Expats

Is meeting PEP requirements a pre-req to apply for a PR?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
whasAGoodPR

Is meeting PEP requirements a pre-req to apply for a PR?

Post by whasAGoodPR » Tue, 12 Feb 2013 5:19 pm

Ofcourse it does not say so on the official pages, but practically is that the new rule of thumb to follow.

For example, I make 10.5 k per month currently, should I wait until I reach a salary of 12k+ per month?

Given I am an Indian and we are not the most popular guys (from what I read on the forums). What would be your advice?

I do have a MS from US and am have work published in Journals and conferences. But have left the research track and in IT (though would love to go back .. I digress)
Do the degree and publications matter at all?

Also, it is quite tough to find a statement on what really is the government looking in a PR. If I knew and I did not fit in, I would not bother applying and save every ones time and some of my money :).
Wonder what would be the answer to:
What is a good PR?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 12 Feb 2013 5:48 pm

A Malaysian or Indonesian Chinese married couple, both holding degrees from the gov. recognizable institution, earning 12k each, with at least 3 income tax statement available and having at least 2 sons of pre-NS age where this whole family together is included to the application.

Edited to add the race.
Last edited by x9200 on Tue, 12 Feb 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: Is meeting PEP requirements a pre-req to apply for a PR?

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 12 Feb 2013 6:02 pm

whasAGoodPR wrote:Ofcourse it does not say so on the official pages, but practically is that the new rule of thumb to follow.

For example, I make 10.5 k per month currently, should I wait until I reach a salary of 12k+ per month?

Given I am an Indian and we are not the most popular guys (from what I read on the forums). What would be your advice?

I do have a MS from US and am have work published in Journals and conferences. But have left the research track and in IT (though would love to go back .. I digress)
Do the degree and publications matter at all?

Also, it is quite tough to find a statement on what really is the government looking in a PR. If I knew and I did not fit in, I would not bother applying and save every ones time and some of my money :).
Wonder what would be the answer to:
What is a good PR?
Nobody knows, especially your kind of profile is hard to tell. You wouldn't know unless you apply. Your case is surely not a case of waste of time and money, unless you are not really serious about making this place your home.

whasAGoodPR

Post by whasAGoodPR » Tue, 12 Feb 2013 6:06 pm

Thanks,
Can't do anything about my race.

Can do something about my salary as I am pretty close,

My wife's from the medical profession but will have to study here to work here. She will probably make more than me if we are able to pull through her education fees and the long 3 years. but the risks are too high, the education is too expensive for foreigners and esp the medical ones. Very strange laws... if I were a Singaporean I would rather have my wife as a citizen, she is more qualified IMHO (sadly there is a blanket unrecognized tag).

We are on the right track as far as the kids go.

Also, I figure IT is not a wrok stream being encouraged currently. However, I do not see many research based opportunities in Computer Science too. So we don't like computers in Singapore anymore ? (kidding)

So I think, you just saved me some money this year :-)

whasAGoodPR

Post by whasAGoodPR » Tue, 12 Feb 2013 6:18 pm

thanks wd40

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 12 Feb 2013 6:54 pm

whasAGoodPR wrote:Thanks,
Can't do anything about my race.

Can do something about my salary as I am pretty close,

My wife's from the medical profession but will have to study here to work here. She will probably make more than me if we are able to pull through her education fees and the long 3 years. but the risks are too high, the education is too expensive for foreigners and esp the medical ones. Very strange laws... if I were a Singaporean I would rather have my wife as a citizen, she is more qualified IMHO (sadly there is a blanket unrecognized tag).

We are on the right track as far as the kids go.

Also, I figure IT is not a wrok stream being encouraged currently. However, I do not see many research based opportunities in Computer Science too. So we don't like computers in Singapore anymore ? (kidding)

So I think, you just saved me some money this year :-)
You are spoiling your wife's career. A doctor's degree is very hardwork in India and once someone has the degree, its a crime to waste the talent. Money is not everything in life. Give this a deep thought!

You rightly said IT is not the flavor here. But it is in India. You both are very talented and should go back to India. You will both do much better there than here.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Is meeting PEP requirements a pre-req to apply for a PR?

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 12 Feb 2013 8:02 pm

whasAGoodPR wrote:Ofcourse it does not say so on the official pages, but practically is that the new rule of thumb to follow.
My personal opinion is that this is indeed the salary guideline now. Of course, other positive factors weigh in accordingly. Male children and/or Malaysian Chinese genes will lower the salary requirement.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Feb 2013 9:07 pm

Under the new framework the criteria for a P1 EP is still a salary of 8K/mo. Even giving the following information, while they did say the criteria had been tightened up, it still leaves a lot of leeway for P1s as there doesn't seem to be anything written that makes a degree a requisite, yet.
MOM does not have a list of approved institutions. Possessing an acceptable qualification does not automatically guarantee a successful Employment Pass application, as the applicant may need to satisfy other criteria, such as qualifying salary or professional skills.
Similarly, applicants who do not possess an acceptable qualification may not necessarily be rejected for Employment Pass. MOM will consider, on a case-by-case basis, applicants with proven track records and exceptional skills-set, but who may not have the qualifications required by the enhanced Employment Pass framework.
Therefore, prior to the PEP (Personal Employment Pass) the stepping stone to PR was time based for the lower grades, or meeting the requirements for P1. I personally still think P1s have a good chance even with an 8~10K salay, IF there are not significant negatives to offset the salary requirements (e.g., age, race, etc.) Obviously having several positives in those categories could offset some things, like length of time here, etc.

Again, we are somewhat flying blind at the moment.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 12 Feb 2013 11:00 pm

Questions to the OP: Can you tell us how long you have been here, and on what kind of pass? Also, do you have any sons or daughters? I'd expect those details to have a bearing on your PR chances too.
Be careful what you wish for

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 13 Feb 2013 10:33 am

A little interjection ..
whasAGoodPR wrote:
My wife's from the medical profession but will have to study here to work here.
not necessary for her to study to work as a medical professional, if she is from one of the recognised Unis, and if she is not, still she can start off as a MO, unless she is / was working at a very higher level .. or she doesn't want to lower her standards ..
whasAGoodPR wrote:
She will probably make more than me ...
Foreign doctors earn much less than the local counterparts, unless they have UK/US qualifications .. (and - read -> especially Asian doctors .. :) )

Earn more than you ? No sir .. not likely now, not likely in the future :)
whasAGoodPR wrote:
if we are able to pull through her education fees and the long 3 years. but the risks are too high, the education is too expensive for foreigners and esp the medical ones. Very strange laws...
what is this 3 years studies you are talking about ?

And well, locals are educated at very low fees, why would any country let foreigners get educated FOC or for low cost and the scoot ?? Does such a practice exist in whereever you are from ??

As for the risk factor, yes, your chance of getting the "more than me" salary is SLIM, if she is not able to get herself recruited by now ..
whasAGoodPR wrote:
if I were a Singaporean I would rather have my wife as a citizen, she is more qualified IMHO (sadly there is a blanket unrecognized tag).
Well, subjective and speculative .. let me ask you this question - with my tongue in cheek - firmly - Does she speak Mandarin / Hokkein / Teochew and / or Malay ?

And how much does she integrate with the locals ??

if not, her other qualifications as a doctor, while important, don't make it GREAT or outstanding ...

unless, again, read up the third response of mine !!!!
Last edited by ecureilx on Wed, 13 Feb 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Feb 2013 1:20 pm

Squirrel, I doubt seriously all the western docs at Gleneagles, et. al. speak all those languages you name. In fact, I reckon they don't speak any of them 'cept English.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 13 Feb 2013 1:35 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Squirrel, I doubt seriously all the western docs at Gleneagles, et. al. speak all those languages you name. In fact, I reckon they don't speak any of them 'cept English.
Yes sir, I should have qualified my note with "Doctors from Asia" :D

Bow to your expert knowledge, sir, as always !!!!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 13 Feb 2013 1:39 pm

Wd40 wrote:[You are spoiling your wife's career. A doctor's degree is very hardwork in India and once someone has the degree, its a crime to waste the talent. Money is not everything in life. Give this a deep thought!
Love your words .. though, reality is far from an ideal world !!!!

too many doctors, not just in Singapore, in other countries too, have given up medicine due to local regulations..

Then again, they don't have to be a doctor, per se, to use their learning- a lot of ancillary industries do require medical doctors .. starting from research assistants, medical advisors .. etc.