Singapore Expats

Information fishing trip to Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 12 Feb 2013 9:40 am

JR8 wrote: 6-10 of us in bunk-beds, 5+ Nigerians, one bathroom with crap all over the floor. ['Chungking Mansions'].
How many times a day did an Indian ask if you wanted to buy a suit? :P

flowersinlondon

Post by flowersinlondon » Tue, 12 Feb 2013 7:03 pm

Hostels are not our first choice too. We did them in our backpacking days, but with a baby, I am not so sure. The reason I was thinking about it was because England has some hostels which are more like hotel rooms (with bathroom and kitchen). But I don't see that when I checked the hostels websites.

Thanks earthfriendly for giving us links to websites.

I looked airbnb.com too, but most of the options within our budget are rooms with the owner on premises. The problem is the owner will be seriously upset with us before our stay finishes as our son doesn't sleep through the night still. This is the reason we are even worried about hotels as the rooms next door might complain.

One question though, these budget hotels, do they do a suite? ie separate sitting room? Our son goes to bed early (7pm) and we were wondering if their was a sitting room we could be there to have dinner and chat. But I think I know that the price will be prohibitive for such rooms.

I guess we are trying to do Singapore for 2 weeks on a tight budget! Not sure if that's possible. :)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 12 Feb 2013 7:44 pm

flowersinlondon wrote: I guess we are trying to do Singapore for 2 weeks on a tight budget! Not sure if that's possible. :)
It's one of the most expensive cities in the world, primarily due to the cost of real estate and rent, which filters down to hotel rooms. You're not going to get a hotel room with the suite in your budget at all unless you have major status a loyalty brand. Sorry :)