Singapore Expats

New PR Renewal Ruling???

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
kn1ghtx

New PR Renewal Ruling???

Post by kn1ghtx » Wed, 16 Dec 2009 2:46 pm

Hi...

I heard about the followings, is this true??
- Singapore PR renewal is now only up to 1 year
- after that 1 yr, the PR holder is only given 2 choices:
1. convert to Singapore citizen
2. or give up the PR and return back to EP if he/she wishes to stay & work in SG

is this true? when did this come into effect??

Thanks,
~RD

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Dec 2009 3:03 pm

And where, pray tell, did you "heard about the followings"?

From your neighbour, at the pub? Scrawled on the door of the men's toilet? OR, did you hear it from a reputable source like MOM? ICA? Did you read it in the newspapers? see it on the nightly news on TV? Receive notification in the form of a letter from ICA informing you of it? I would think that something that profound would have been sent out via letter from ICA to every PR in Singapore, don't you? I haven't received any, if that any help.

:roll:

I reckon I should move this to the rubbish forum before you start a rumour and waste everybody's time. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kn1ghtx

Post by kn1ghtx » Wed, 16 Dec 2009 3:48 pm

my co-worker. he hasn't experienced it himself.
he told me, 3 of his friends told him about this:
- that upon renewal, only 1 year is given and ICA personnel told "the next 'renewal', it's either citizenship or back to EP"

so, u can say it's maybe just rumours. that's why i posted and asked here.
maybe someone has a personal experience on this matter...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Dec 2009 4:40 pm

Oh. A friend of a friend of a friend who heard it from his primary two daughter who got it from the foreign worker who does the trash pickup every morning before school starts. Now we're clued in as it came from a reliable source. :roll:

And did your friend bother to ask his friends were they got the info from?

Did they bother to ascertain whether it was for all PRs? Or is it just for PRs on the Technical and Skilled Worker Schemes? It's actually a very good idea. That would make good sensey as these are the ones who are the abusers of the system for the most part. I'd like to see that happen to that bunch.

Problem is, you have to be here for around two years before they will consider you for citizenship. So unless that happens then I think somebody was pulling your chain.

Oh, one other little tidbit I forgot to mention.......

PR is not renewed/renewable. Only the re-entry permit is. And it not even necessary to renew the re-entry permit unless you are planning on leaving the country. :roll:
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Wed, 16 Dec 2009 4:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Wed, 16 Dec 2009 4:43 pm

This is getting a bit like the airline thread...... :P :mrgreen:

xtasy010
Regular
Regular

Post by xtasy010 » Wed, 16 Dec 2009 4:47 pm

](*,)
Last edited by xtasy010 on Sun, 29 Jan 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Dec 2009 4:47 pm

Plavt,

Then you ought to feel right a home then! :lol:

kn1ghtx

Post by kn1ghtx » Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:38 am

geez, must the moderator be such a flamer??

it's correct that I heard from my colleague who was told by 3 of his different friends. and no further investigation from those 3 friends.

I didn't make any statement on this forum about this matter. I asked whether or not this PR thing is true. if it's not true then it's a good thing.

btw, the REP NEEDs to be renewed. I can take vacations to go back to my home country, right? and gotta make sure then when returning back to SG, this REP thing is still valid.

a lot of ppl said PR renewal although what really took place is REP renewal.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Dec 2009 11:10 am

Then I guess you should learn to write what you mean. Please go back and reread your posts. You were specifically asking about PR. You don't have to renew PR. Permanent Residence and Re-Entry Permits are two entirely different things.

If you never plan on leaving Singapore again, you do not have to renew your REP either, so it makes no difference if it's for 1 year, 5 years or as it used to be, 10 years. (I'm still on 10 year one) I've gone without a valid REP for as long as 15 months before I renewed it.

So, as I said before, if it was something that profound, I am sure that all PR's would have been notified.

sijukumar

PR Renewal

Post by sijukumar » Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:49 pm

Hi All,

I am a new member in the forum, SPR since 2009, and the renewal is in 2014 April.

I have been working for an MNC for last seven years, and might need to move to their head quarters in overseas by mid of this year. Me and family definitely want to settle in SG, but have a good possibility of a break for couple of years.

I have few queries on the PR renewal, appreciate the honourable members could assist.

a) With my good track record of first four + years of SPR, will I be offered to renew the REP from overseas?
b) I am willing to contribute to the CPF/any sort, is there any option for me to pay the CPF with working abroad?
c) I understand new regulation is in place for the HDB rental, does this mean to sell off my house as soon I go out of the country?

I value the life in SG, but looking at the career stability, I would need to take a better call for not to loose my job in the near future. Hoping to strengthen the profile with the European experience, and return to SG to find a stable career.

Cheers
Kumar

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 12 Feb 2013 9:00 am

Four+years on a five year REP in country should be enough for renewal judging by previous posts on this forum. However, those were made in the past. The present climate is worsening constantly. Being Indian and moving overseas I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't enough for you.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Feb 2013 10:58 am

If the move is being instigated by the employer, and is for a fixed short term (e.g., a year or less) then a letter from the employer, explaining all and directed to the ICA should be enough to see you clear to returning and allowing you to renew your REP while overseas. However, be advised, that the REP will only be renewed for a year as that should be sufficient to see the posting through and your transfer back to the company in Singapore.

Changing jobs to a new employer, however, will probably see you having now REP renewal if overseas as you would need proof of continued employment with the same employer. Probably in the form of a dated letter stating same and return date as well.

I cannot verify the above via link or in writing anywhere, but I try to think like ICA officers would in the current climate, at that is the very minimum I would require. Proceed with caution and think seriously about "the break" and just how badly you want to retain PR.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 12 Feb 2013 12:08 pm

Why was this moved to the leisure/rubbish forum?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Feb 2013 12:26 pm

'twernt me. I've only made a sticky out the the medical services on Public Holiday thread.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Feb 2013 12:27 pm

But you gotta admit, until the February posts, the rest was rubbish. :P