Singapore Expats

Another 30% population jump in Singapore by 2030?

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 10:33 pm

That or there were no changes to the original stance like most of his speech was tonight, meaning the same cap on numbers per year (give or take 5K or so).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Sat, 09 Feb 2013 12:30 am

Wd40 wrote: but don't know how Singaporeans are going to take it.
we are darn piss off.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Sun, 10 Feb 2013 9:21 am

Wd40 wrote:I noticed one very new thing in the PM's speech. The word PR or permanent residents was not used even once. He kept talking about Singaporeans and new citizens and non residents. That's a very interesting shift to me.

I don't know what it exactly means but my take is PRs will get lesser and lesser privileges and will become very close to EP holders in terms of benefits in the future and they would want them to convert to citizens ASAP.
Well they're going to need to start allowing dual citizenship with other countries then. Not many people would give up citizenship from a first world country to take up Singaporean citizenship. Third world immigrants, sure.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 13 Feb 2013 10:08 pm

Nice article

http://www.todayonline.com/commentary/i ... orean-core

I particularly like this part:

[quote]
This means, the pool of PR and citizenship applicants can be selected with a more relaxed definition of “economic contribution”

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Feb 2013 10:28 pm

movingtospore wrote:
Wd40 wrote:I noticed one very new thing in the PM's speech. The word PR or permanent residents was not used even once. He kept talking about Singaporeans and new citizens and non residents. That's a very interesting shift to me.

I don't know what it exactly means but my take is PRs will get lesser and lesser privileges and will become very close to EP holders in terms of benefits in the future and they would want them to convert to citizens ASAP.
Well they're going to need to start allowing dual citizenship with other countries then. Not many people would give up citizenship from a first world country to take up Singaporean citizenship. Third world immigrants, sure.
That's the only thing that's stopped me. I mean crap, I've already been here over 30 years and my son will be getting out of the Navy in May. But I'll not give up my US citizenship, warts & alll.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers