Singapore Expats

Music

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 09 Feb 2013 9:49 pm

Brah wrote: The music I could take or leave (I think I have an Orbital album, not sure if this one), but the sound quality is very good.
I bought my first Orbital albums in Tokyo, so I expect it was something I'd heard down at Juliana's.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliana's [Yes the webpage really does have that apostrophe in it... seems very strange!].
Coincidentally I once happened to sit next to their main-DJ John Robinson, on a flight back to London... but I digress, I'll be on about stage-dancing Office Ladies in their rubber O-back dresses next :)

But it when I then transfered to SG that I rented a flat in which the landlord had most unwisely left a very high-end hi-fi ('Acoustic Research' or something like that). I'd never had access to a hi-fi like that before, and like your first bottle of good claret, it opens up a whole new realm to explore. My Orbital albums sounded a-m-a-z-i-n-g on it, like if music were in 3D. That was why I bought my Naim 'stack', when I then moved to London. Wow!... Orbital, Chicane, The Propellorheads, Basement Jaxx... the hi-fi revealed the masterful engineering/recording of all of them. The flip-side of course was it also revealed how some stuff you'd long loved was shockingly poorly recorded.
Brah wrote: I recently downloaded FLAC versions of some quite, er, unique music from the 80s that is similar in a way. Very minimalist, with a good recording it's one of those things worth listening to just for the sound quality. But...I also like the music, takes me to a happy place in nostalgia-land.

Lemme see what I can dig up....
Edit: Found these (have I posted these before?):
New Musik - Division: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qfHodh1pvQ
New Musik-They All Run After the Carving Knife: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNzNzTShAvA#t=0m57s
New Musik - Straight Lines [HQ Audio]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVlGXuuFZeo
----
No I don't think you have posted those before. Hehehe... I remember the first and third tracks, whilst #2 is familar'ish. If I try and overlook the pop-light style the music is pretty tight. Just listening to Straight Lines the bass seems quite prominent (is it 'mixed high' or something, or is it just me?)

Thanks for those, that was a very unexpected Ber-last from the past! :)

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 09 Feb 2013 9:59 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:it is growling vocals. the idea of watching those bands is to release all the anger, frustration and a plethora of other pent up feeling.

nothing happens to their voices after 10 yrs, don't worry :cool:
I'm familiar with the singing type, a lot of bands do that, just doesn't make sense to me, but I support almost all art in its various forms. Fortunately I can choose not to purchase or listen to it.

Me worry? I couldn't care less what happens to them.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 09 Feb 2013 10:10 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:as motorhead once put it : if you think my music is too loud then you are too old.
I thought the quote was actually from Ted Nugent. I had one of these badges for a while:

Having been in the second row for his London Hammersmith Odeon gig in 1977, I can vouch for the fact that it was definitely too loud for old people. But I was still young back then, although I don't think my hearing ever completely recovered. Shame he turned into such a nutjob in later years.

In any case, it's not really a question of the 'loudness', more to do with the musical and vocal content. Like I say, each to their own - I don't like opera, but I understand that many people do, so I guess I'm just missing the ability to 'tune in' to some kinds of music.
Last edited by Mi Amigo on Sat, 09 Feb 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be careful what you wish for

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 09 Feb 2013 10:19 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:Yeah, I know what you mean, but at least Marshall Tucker got a look-in. I don't think he was/is very well known in the UK. I only heard his band cos a DJ on Radio Caroline used to play them quite a lot - actually as he (the DJ) had a Birmingham (UK, not Alabama!) accent, for a long time I thought they were actually called the Marshall Tooker Band.
Actually the band is named after an old guy in the town where the band lived.

I can strongly recommend:
The Marshall Tucker Band
A New Life
Searchin' for a Rainbow
Carolina Dreams

Their other stuff I don't know too well, this kind of music didn't fare well into the late 70s and beyond and I had stopped listening to them by then. Started listening to them again on long drives out of Tokyo, just for the juxtaposition and re-centering myself.
Mi Amigo wrote:Yeah, Green Grass Tides is a great track and it's a shame they didn't get the recognition they deserved. I've never been a huge fan of Freebird - it's one of those over-played rock 'anthems' that I don't mind hearing every few years, but more often that would be waaay too much.
Same here. Both songs are dual lead / harmony guitar indulgent long solo songs, dunno, I just never took to LS. But with many bands I don't like, they have one song I kinda like:
I Know A Little: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2HRrjpiM7Y
Mi Amigo wrote:I thought the debate in the BBC programme about whether or not Skynrd were basically just a bunch of rednecks was interesting; it's something I've often wondered about. I'm a fan of Neil Young and of course his song Southern Man upset many folks down south. The conclusion seemed to be that the lyrics to Sweet Home Alabama are a bit ambiguous - I'd like to think that they just objected to being talked down to by some geezer from Canada, but what do you think?
I'll take Neil Yong over LS any day. Those south of the Mason Dixon can be pretty passionate about their part of the world, so I get that. You're right they didn't want to be criticized by some left-wing Canadian (I don't know what's worse to them, Canadians or Yankees), but I think the ambiguity was about another line in the song which referenced George Wallace, which confused me as well.

Wikipedia says "Young and Van Zant were not rivals, but fans of each other's music and good friends" - I didn't know that.
Mi Amigo wrote:I hadn't heard the other tracks; thanks for sharing those. CCR are another largely overlooked band IMO - many people know a couple of their hits, but they made so much other good stuff.
Yeah, they were a tragic story really, one that should have never happened.

I found myself struggling for more examples, back in the day I'm sure I could have cited many more bands. Having said that, I was never into Redneck Rock, bands like 38 Special, Molly Hatchet and the like.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 09 Feb 2013 10:30 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:I thought the quote was actually from Ted Nugent.
Funny you mention the 'Nooge, I was going to post something the other day after checking out your John Otway and Wild Willy Barratt clip.

One of those two guys, I don't know as that was my first time seeing/hearing them, resembles Frank Marino somewhat, so I was looking for a good clip with him, but couldn't find one that I felt was representative. I'm a huge Frank fan, he's one of the better guitarists in my collection. But that is for another post.

Anyway, I was never a Ted Nugent fan, always considered him a no-talent (my list of those is long) and didn't care for his music, or the Amboy Dukes' music either (his original band). Nowadays I hear him on radio shows and he's kinda funny in a scary, ultra-right wing way. He's kinda the Gary Busey of Rock.

There is a famous story of how Ted showed up at a Mahogany Rush (Frank Marino's band) concert, got on stage and challenged Marino to a guitar duel. Frank is actually a really nice guy and humble, and not the type to resort to such silliness. But Frank is at least ten times the guitarist Ted is, and Ted just ended up embarrassing himself.

This is rock folklore: http://www.mahoganyrush.com/showdown.htm

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 09 Feb 2013 11:02 pm

In keeping with the Southern/Country thread, if you've never heard of these guys, they're worth checking out.

Wild Northland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swh5JX-Drcs

Big Iron: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Jna4KjZFw

Made up of Bob Weir (Grateful Dead rhythm guitarist) and Dave Torbert (NRPS bassist). Their guitarist, the interestingly-named Robbie Hoddinott, was a master of the Telecaster sound.

Not Country or Southern, but some of their stuff bordered on Country, others were Fusion and, I don't know what.

Wier is a master of atypical chunky chords and sick chord changes:

Lazy Lightning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlRdBHs4MwQ

Supplication (follows Lazy Lightning, continuation of the song actually): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovBxQWUqbJM

Jump For Joy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMKoySXk1o

Asia Minor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRdmDQVGCmo

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 09 Feb 2013 11:11 pm

Brah wrote:
Mi Amigo wrote:Yeah, I know what you mean, but at least Marshall Tucker got a look-in. I don't think he was/is very well known in the UK. I only heard his band cos a DJ on Radio Caroline used to play them quite a lot - actually as he (the DJ) had a Birmingham (UK, not Alabama!) accent, for a long time I thought they were actually called the Marshall Tooker Band.
Actually the band is named after an old guy in the town where the band lived.
Oh, that's so funny - I never knew that! I think I must have subliminally renamed Doug Gray when I saw him interviewed in the documentary. Well, you learn something new every day! :oops: :oops!:

I'll have to check out those other clips - thanks!

p.s. I think the attraction of Ted Nugent at the time I saw him was just that he was so outrageously loud. No doubt that there were and are many, many better guitarists out there.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 10 Feb 2013 3:06 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote: it is growling vocals. the idea of watching those bands is to release all the anger, frustration and a plethora of other pent up feeling.

Precisely. All the things teenagers suffer from.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 10 Feb 2013 3:20 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:My contirbution to this thread is a thrash metal band called coroner , they play technical stuff,well we can call it progressive thrash

here is a sample of one of their songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLfI1MnOyOo

Thanks for that; I'd never heard of them.

Swiss prog-thrash... well I never this topic does throw up some interesting stuff.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 10 Feb 2013 3:12 pm

JR8 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote: it is growling vocals. the idea of watching those bands is to release all the anger, frustration and a plethora of other pent up feeling.

Precisely. All the things teenagers suffer from.
Im 33 I still have these feelings. I don't emotions are related to age. I think the twisted sister vocalist Dee Snider once said I'm 46
"how do I wake up in the morning and think about things I hate in order to write an album full of songs fill with anger ? "

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 10 Feb 2013 3:17 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:as motorhead once put it : if you think my music is too loud then you are too old.
I thought the quote was actually from Ted Nugent. I had one of these badges for a while:

Having been in the second row for his London Hammersmith Odeon gig in 1977, I can vouch for the fact that it was definitely too loud for old people. But I was still young back then, although I don't think my hearing ever completely recovered. Shame he turned into such a nutjob in later years.

In any case, it's not really a question of the 'loudness', more to do with the musical and vocal content. Like I say, each to their own - I don't like opera, but I understand that many people do, so I guess I'm just missing the ability to 'tune in' to some kinds of music.
Motörhead defy ears. Everything Louder than Everyone Else is one of the live albums, and a writing in everyone’s t-Shirt.
“If it’s too Loud You’re Too Old”

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 10 Feb 2013 7:00 pm

[quote="rajagainstthemachine"]Motörhead defy ears. Everything Louder than Everyone Else is one of the live albums, and a writing in everyone’s t-Shirt.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sun, 10 Feb 2013 9:27 pm

[quote="rajagainstthemachine"]Motörhead defy ears. Everything Louder than Everyone Else is one of the live albums, and a writing in everyone’s t-Shirt.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 12 Feb 2013 12:34 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_hPg7lCxeo
Subway Sect - Peel Session 1977
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subway_Sect

The 'Peel session' was something the avant garde DJ John Peel did once a week (IIRC) on his night-time show.

He championed unheard-of and just-breaking groups. If you click the above look at the other suggested Peel Sessions in the tabs down the right...

The Police
The Ruts
Psychedelic Furs
Stiff Little Fingers
...etc*100+

and so on. The number of later 'musically significant' bands, then unknown, show-cased by him is really quite amazing.

Peel was the only guy in the UK who played up-coming bands such as these.

p.s. Sorry guys, been busy, so quite a lot of other posts in this topic are ahead of me still. But I will enjoy reading them, and getting to them in due course :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 12 Feb 2013 2:15 am

Yep, wouldn't surprise me.

Lemmy and the crew have the luxury of not caring what 'public opinion' thinks from one week to another.

What a nice place as an artist to be in.