Singapore Expats

Singapore & US life cost comparison

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
vink2
Regular
Regular

Post by vink2 » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 9:34 am

JR8 wrote:If your idea of a vacation is permanently traveling and never arriving, stopping and 'seeing' anywhere Greyhound is the slum way to do it.

What are your priorities? Ticking cities off a long list?
Well, apart from seeing the most popular cities I want to see US from window while travelling and make stops in nice places to sleep. So I want to understand what will be the best plan to travel from west to east.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 10:10 am

I don't understand how you can use "nice" and "cities" in the same sentence. Cities are not nice, just necessary.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

freshmeat

Post by freshmeat » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 10:19 am

Mid-west cities are pretty spread out and best explored with a car IMO. Chicago downtown can be explored by public bus and foot if you like walking and the weather is not too cold. Field's museum, Shedd Aquarium and the planetarium are within the same block.

Other cities such as Minneapolis are smaller where places of interest may not be within city limit. You may need to take a cab or bus to get there.

vink2
Regular
Regular

Post by vink2 » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 10:19 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I don't understand how you can use "nice" and "cities" in the same sentence. Cities are not nice, just necessary.
Well, depends. Say, Wellington is nice to walk and see, Auckland - just a little bit.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 12:33 pm

vink2 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I don't understand how you can use "nice" and "cities" in the same sentence. Cities are not nice, just necessary.
Well, depends. Say, Wellington is nice to walk and see, Auckland - just a little bit.
i think perhaps sunday was talking about american cities.

wellington is a hilly city. i can understand if you're walking about the CBD/CBD fringe, but if you're going up anything more than say, mt vic, i would probably drive or take the bus.

vink2
Regular
Regular

Post by vink2 » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 12:43 pm

taxico wrote:
i think perhaps sunday was talking about american cities.

wellington is a hilly city. i can understand if you're walking about the CBD/CBD fringe, but if you're going up anything more than say, mt vic, i would probably drive or take the bus.
Yeap, the idea of my travel is to go from east to west by land and no I need to understand where will be the best way to stop for 1-2 days: sleep, walk, socialize, understand US and people, stay safe.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 1:04 pm

vink2 wrote:
Yeap, the idea of my travel is to go from east to west by land and no I need to understand where will be the best way to stop for 1-2 days: sleep, walk, socialize, understand US and people, stay safe.
You want to stop at various cities, walk around, unknown, alone and socialize? And understand US & people? Why not just get a T-shirt with a big Target on the back to let all the baddies know who to hit. Good Idea? Not. 2 days in a city is not going to help you to understand Americans. I don't even understand them anymore.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 1:21 pm

vink2, do you have your visa already?

vink2
Regular
Regular

Post by vink2 » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 2:28 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
vink2 wrote:
You want to stop at various cities, walk around, unknown, alone and socialize? And understand US & people? Why not just get a T-shirt with a big Target on the back to let all the baddies know who to hit. Good Idea? Not. 2 days in a city is not going to help you to understand Americans. I don't even understand them anymore.
Well, if you are not american, why you troll me all the time. Just relax in a local pub, today is friday!

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 5:15 pm

yah sms explain yourself..why you trolll himm :cool: [/url]

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 6:18 pm

vink2 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
vink2 wrote:
Well, if you are not american, why you troll me all the time. Just relax in a local pub, today is friday!
sunday, an american, is trying to stop you from getting shot and mugged. i'm not kidding!

you have a very weird trip planned. whatever the case is, you might get the information you want at tripadvisor or lonelyplanet forums.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 7:34 pm

The wish-list is rife with internal contradictions:
By bus from NYC>Seattle>SF>Houston is not a 'holiday', it would be hell on earth.
Strangers generally won't want to talk to you, why should they?
As others allude, at some point you might get yourself whacked

However:
I am reminded of an earlier post:
-------------------------------------------
vink2 wrote:

a) do American smile when they want to smile or they just smile as a habit?
b) What do Americans going to do with the huge debt
c) What Americans think about the future
d) Could please someone elaborate on organic food there
I know why food is cheap in US. Because it is non-organic.
This explains a lot:
why american girls are not cute,
also it says where americans says lots of money.
interesting, how are americans optimistic about the future?

I know what I'm doing
------------------------------------------------

If you get off the bus and try and pull the above shtick with some random stranger... [snorts] ... refer to my earlier point about getting whacked.

vink2
Regular
Regular

Post by vink2 » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 8:42 pm

JR8 wrote:The wish-list is rife with internal contradictions:
By bus from NYC>Seattle>SF>Houston is not a 'holiday', it would be hell on earth.
Strangers generally won't want to talk to you, why should they?
I will talk to them, they will talk to me: I will smile and wink, they will, sure, respond. ;-)
As others allude, at some point you might get yourself whacked

However:
I am reminded of an earlier post:
-------------------------------------------
vink2 wrote:

a) do American smile when they want to smile or they just smile as a habit?
b) What do Americans going to do with the huge debt
c) What Americans think about the future
d) Could please someone elaborate on organic food there
I know why food is cheap in US. Because it is non-organic.
This explains a lot:
why american girls are not cute,
also it says where americans says lots of money.
interesting, how are americans optimistic about the future?

I know what I'm doing
------------------------------------------------

If you get off the bus and try and pull the above shtick with some random stranger... [snorts] ... refer to my earlier point about getting whacked.
Don't worry, JR8, I have good organical completion with knowledge and experiences how to settle complected issues. :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by vink2 on Fri, 08 Feb 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 8:46 pm

I am really curious whether he managed to get a visa. Unless this is a business trip or his country is under visa waver program, that would be truly interesting to see how he performed during the interview. Still he may have problems to enter the country with the attitude like this.

vink2
Regular
Regular

Post by vink2 » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 8:51 pm

x9200 wrote:I am really curious whether he managed to get a visa. Unless this is a business trip or his country is under visa waver program, that would be truly interesting to see how he performed during the interview. Still he may have problems to enter the country with the attitude like this.
mate, seriously, were are you from? what make you think that I need a visa? why do you ask personal questions to strangers? You are not Brit and not from EU, definitely.
Last edited by vink2 on Fri, 08 Feb 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.