Singapore Expats

EP Issues While Switching Jobs

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
kooltilldend
Regular
Regular

EP Issues While Switching Jobs

Post by kooltilldend » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 12:36 pm

Hi guys,

So I've got a slightly tricky situation upon me

I resigned from Job A around late November (which was accepted) and was told that my EP will be cancelled shortly.

Since this is largely employer's responsibility (I assume), I awaited further responses from them rather than forcing them to cancel asap (why would I? I didn't have another job and merely resigned due to various work circumstances).

I intended to apply for a LTVP once I received the one month notice - but it never arrived. I know for a fact that my EP is still valid as I'm still carrying the EP card and have travelled abroad with it as well.

Anyways so ~3 months on (i.e. now), I have finally secured another job. However Job B is asking me to cancel my EP from Job A before they apply for a new EP. They claim it is a smoother process that way and there will be less delays (IRAS issues, EP processing, etc).

While I'm slightly reluctant of being without an EP altogether, I intend to follow their instructions and am thus trying to contact Job A to cancel my EP. Problem is, so far I've not had much success in trying to reach them - I will pay them a visit later today so hopefully that'll turn out useful.

So anyways my question is, given these circumstances what do you all propose would be the right path of action for me? And secondly, if Job A refuses to take my calls or see me in the office, is there a way for me to manually cancel my current EP - or atleast force Job A to cancel it?

I look forward to hearing your wise words!

p.s. I've been here for over 2 years now and have had a few EP's here in that period as well so I'm not too worried about getting an EP approval for Job B - but ofcourse there is an element of risk that I can't ignore.

iloverice
Regular
Regular

Post by iloverice » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 2:46 pm

First, how long in total you've stayed in Singapore? Few EPs, how many of it? I kind of wonder, if you have resigned from A and been jobless, the EP has not been cancelled yet.... :?

kooltilldend
Regular
Regular

Post by kooltilldend » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 2:50 pm

iloverice wrote:First, how long in total you've stayed in Singapore? Few EPs, how many of it? I kind of wonder, if you have resigned from A and been jobless, the EP has not been cancelled yet.... :?
Not sure what you are trying to imply here but let me answer your queries:

I did my MSc. at NTU so I've been here fairly long (around 2.5 years) and before that I did my BSc. in USA and have worked in NYC for a short stint as well

I've had 3 EP's - long story as to why so many - but reasons are all work-oriented...all EP's issued in less than 3-4 days of submitting application (clearly studying in SG helped)

As for the last part...indeed that's precisely my point. The EP hasn't been cancelled but that's Company A's problem rather than mine (if I'm right)...that said, I'm willing to clear up the taxes and other necessary payments (there shouldn't be any but in case there are) as I've already secured a new job and am frankly quite excited to start it

p.s. latest update - I just got an email from the global head and he's asked the HR to contact me for further discussions...so that's positive

In the interim, company B said they will apply for my new EP next Tuesday but have asked me to make sure company A lodge their cancellation in the next 7 days after the EP application is sent through (apparently company A will be informed of the new application by MOM)