Singapore Expats

Stauts of private property if PR is not renewed

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
LongTimeHere

Stauts of private property if PR is not renewed

Post by LongTimeHere » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 1:09 pm

Apologies if this topic has been discussed elsewhere, I could only find topics related to HDB.

My question is what happens to private property (99 year leasehold) once PR is not renewed. I am using CPF to finance my property and there is enough in my ordinary account to finance it for the next 7-8 years even with no contribution.

I understand its the re-entry permit that expires not the PR but if one is working out of Singapore it is one & the same thing. Once I work out of Singapore for last 2-3 years the re-entry permit is gone and one can't return as a PR to Singapore without the permit. Will I be forced to sell the private property because CPF was used to finance it?

Any advice on would help and thanks in advance.

Having lived here since the age of 24 (1996) I naively imagined that Singapore would be my home for a lifetime. All my working life is here and so are my friends. However my two attempts at becoming a citizen (2000 & 2010) were unsuccessful, my daughter will start schooling soon and have therefore come to face the fact that may have no choice but to leave.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 1:43 pm

Private property is not tie to citizenship. As long as you can pay the bank installment. Nothing is going to change.

Saint
Director
Director

Re: Stauts of private property if PR is not renewed

Post by Saint » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 1:49 pm

LongTimeHere wrote: Having lived here since the age of 24 (1996) I naively imagined that Singapore would be my home for a lifetime. All my working life is here and so are my friends. However my two attempts at becoming a citizen (2000 & 2010) were unsuccessful, my daughter will start schooling soon and have therefore come to face the fact that may have no choice but to leave.
Bit confused why your daughter starting schooling soon means you have to leave beacause you haven't gained Citizenship?

lolipop99
Regular
Regular

Post by lolipop99 » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 2:02 pm

many of my colleagues from subcontinent also have the rejections despite being a long term pr, but many have issues in their profile such as daughter pr son student pass, own hdb live in condo, being indian and still single at 30, hoping 5, 6 jobs in short time... maybe you shoukd look at yours and see if any red flags and address them first, approving a new citizen is a big decision so ica is prudent now

LongTimeHere

Post by LongTimeHere » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 2:07 pm

@ Saint

Thanks for reading my post.

Actually we don't want to change her schooling system midway and as a PR she will be denied the good/convenient schools despite being born here. Since the message is 'eventually leave' we might as well get on with it.
Last edited by LongTimeHere on Thu, 07 Feb 2013 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LongTimeHere

Post by LongTimeHere » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 2:16 pm

@lolipop99

I don't have any of the 'red flags' having changed 3 jobs over 17 years and worked continuously in MNC's in the same industry. Yes I have not yet had male children but that is not within one's control. There is a lot that goes into a persons life for which there is no place in the application form.

My query is not why Citizenship was denied. That is decision of the ICA and I have accepted that. It more about all the documents on the property are tagged to the Blue IC number. What happens when we loose that IC?

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 3:52 pm

How you define as "good/convenient schools "?

Branded school and within 5 min walk?

As long as the school allocate does not appear your shortlisted listed, those school are classify as bad/in-convenient school?

Citizenship will guarantee a seat in "good/convenient school"?
:???:

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Re: Stauts of private property if PR is not renewed

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 4:35 pm

LongTimeHere wrote:I understand its the re-entry permit that expires not the PR but if one is working out of Singapore it is one & the same thing. Once I work out of Singapore for last 2-3 years the re-entry permit is gone and one can't return as a PR to Singapore without the permit.
Not sure if I interpreted this correctly, but does it mean that you have been employed outside of Singapore for the past 2-3 years?

I realise that the above doesn't deal with your question regarding your property, but I'm just trying to understand your situation better.
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 5:45 pm

LongTimeHere wrote:It more about all the documents on the property are tagged to the Blue IC number. What happens when we loose that IC?
If it's an HDB property, then it means you are married to a local and her name is one the purchase of the flat first and you are listed second. I think then she need to put another name on the flat as a co-owner. There might be some problems however, depending if it Joint Tenancy or Tenancy in Common. Don't know the answer there.

If it's a private property, I don't think it makes any difference as foreigner are allowed to buy property without being resident in Singapore. (The are trying to change that but I don't think it's going to happen as they've got too much Indonesian Chinese money parked in properties here).

As far as the tagging to the Blue IC is concerned, it would probably revert to your passport number at the time the IC was surrendered. All the databases are now combined so don't think that would pose a problem.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 5:50 pm

therat wrote:How you define as "good/convenient schools "?

Branded school and within 5 min walk?

As long as the school allocate does not appear your shortlisted listed, those school are classify as bad/in-convenient school?

Citizenship will guarantee a seat in "good/convenient school"?
:???:
Citizens get significantly higher priority on local schools than PRs. If he lives in an area with highly desirable schools, then yes, he might not get his daughter into a nearby school. Why shouldn't he factor that in to his decision to move? Just because maybe you're willing to send your child to a school halfway across the island, you can't criticize his desire not to do that to his kid.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 7:27 pm

Give the poor guy a break and please stop looking at all subcontinentals with the same lens. He is not asking whether his decision to move is right or wrong. I can completely empathize with him. It is his choice to leave the country if he is being considered 2nd grade compared to citizens in terms of priority in getting into the top local schools etc.

Mi Amigo, I dont think he is employed overseas yet, but thats what he is considering at the moment because he is not getting citizenship.

To the OP, regarding your question about private property, the only difference that is going to be is with IRAS. I believe you need to pay wealth tax and or income tax on rental income. As a resident(whether on EP or PR its the same) I believe the tax rates are lower. But as a non resident foreigner the tax rates will be higher. That is the only thing you need to worry about. Nothing else.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 7:40 pm

Wd40 wrote:Give the poor guy a break and please stop looking at all subcontinentals with the same lens. He is not asking whether his decision to move is right or wrong. I can completely empathize with him. It is his choice to leave the country if he is being considered 2nd grade compared to citizens in terms of priority in getting into the top local schools etc.
You seem to defend something that was not attacked in this thread.

LongTimeHere

Post by LongTimeHere » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 10:40 am

Dear All,

Thank you so much for reading the post. The answers were generally quite helpful and it seems it wont be too much trouble.

I somehow broached the subject yesterday with one of my old Singaporean buddy's who has a lot of legal contacts. He will check and get back to me. He said he always assumed I don't want to be Singaporean LOL.

Yes I have worked here for 17 years straight and some of the new Indian immigrants seem rather rude & devoid of manners to us but who cares we are all the same to the people here. Nobody asked Singaporeans what kind of immigrants were to be allowed in let alone ask us.

Thanks all once again. Wish you all the best. If I get concrete info I will post if anybody has a requirement.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 8:01 pm

x9200 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Give the poor guy a break and please stop looking at all subcontinentals with the same lens. He is not asking whether his decision to move is right or wrong. I can completely empathize with him. It is his choice to leave the country if he is being considered 2nd grade compared to citizens in terms of priority in getting into the top local schools etc.
You seem to defend something that was not attacked in this thread.
A slight over-reaction, but therat did attack the OP a bit for his decision to leave over second-class status in local school enrollment. Completely the OP's right as it is his child's best interest in his mind, and also completely Singapore's right to only give him second class status in this regard (which the OP didn't really complain about)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 8:36 pm

That's correct but therat attacked a bit because he disagreed with OP approach/opinion and not because OP is from the subcontinent while WD40 perceives recently everything as an attack on the later. I don't see anybody attacked in this threat just because he or she is from subcontinent.