Singapore Expats

Things you like about Singapore?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 8:20 pm

JR8 wrote:I've heard that said of their bite too. Apparently their mouth/'teeth'[?] are home to a lot of seriously dangerous-to-mammals bacteria.
Sorry. I lost track of all the postings here. Are we still talking about the office ladies in the CBD???
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 8:28 pm

Brah wrote:You mean like Kodomo Dragons?

Aghh... it is possible I am confusing the two! Apologies if I am. In any case I really wouldn't want to get wounded by one. They can put on some speed when they want to, so I expect they're very powerful.

@ Addadude, yes :twisted: :wink:

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 8:37 pm

Kodomo = Child (Japanese)
Komodo = Island populated by lizards (Indonesia)

The change of topic from ladies to lizards was a bit surprizing to me too, in the beginning, but it makes sense!

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 8:50 pm

beppi wrote:Kodomo = Child (Japanese)
Komodo = Island populated by lizards (Indonesia)

The change of topic from ladies to lizards was a bit surprizing to me too, in the beginning, but it makes sense!
Oops!

But I'm not surprised by my slip, good catch you guys. I just have much more opportunity to say "kodomo" than "Komodo"

Anyway, a Kodomo Dragon is so last year.....

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 9:36 pm

I don't know.... We got some real Komodo Ladies in this town. That's why the local guys carry their purses and bags, else get their head bitten off. And yes, for the record, bites from both will turn septic in hours, but with the Komodo your bigger worry is not getting eaten alive. The Monitor Lizard is basically a carrion eater but with the advantage of a unsuspecting tidbit especially if it's floating on top of the water. As they are carrion eaters they harbor some really nasty bacteria in their mouths.

Rarely have I know of any of them attacking a human but I reckon if big enough and hungry enough, or cornered, you could find yourself in a pretty pickle. They have been known to fall out of trees on their prey as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 06 Feb 2013 2:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I don't know.... We got some real Komodo Ladies in this town. That's why the local guys carry their purses and bags, else get their head bitten off. And yes, for the record, bites from both will turn septic in hours, but with the Komodo your bigger worry is not getting eaten alive. The Monitor Lizard is basically a carrion eater but with the advantage of a unsuspecting tidbit especially if it's floating on top of the water. As they are carrion eaters they harbor some really nasty bacteria in their mouths.

Rarely have I know of any of them attacking a human but I reckon if big enough and hungry enough, or cornered, you could find yourself in a pretty pickle. They have been known to fall out of trees on their prey as well.
They do get excited at the scent of blood, which tallies with their feeding behaviour. Attacks on human are rare but we do hear about them advancing towards humans unprovoked.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 06 Feb 2013 2:29 pm

the lynx wrote:They do get excited at the scent of blood, which tallies with their feeding behaviour. Attacks on human are rare but we do hear about them advancing towards humans unprovoked.
Oh, I thought you were talking about the Komodo Ladies for a minute. Do they wear kimonos? I'm so konfused. :???:
Be careful what you wish for

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 06 Feb 2013 2:35 pm

This thread I will take a look at every day because it could go anywhere!

A roller coaster ride of epic diversity

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 06 Feb 2013 2:52 pm

I'm still wondering if anyone got my punny comment

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Feb 2013 3:11 pm

I did, but decided to reply going to the opposite extreme. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Wed, 06 Feb 2013 8:42 pm

Brah wrote: If you're married be sure and go alone though.
:roll: You've just stereotyped yourself Brah.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 06 Feb 2013 9:43 pm

movingtospore wrote:
Not entirely sure what that means, but walking though the right parts of town any warm-blooded man's eyes will pop out enough times that the wives will notice.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 06 Feb 2013 11:31 pm

Brah wrote:
movingtospore wrote:
Not entirely sure what that means, but walking though the right parts of town any warm-blooded man's organs will pop out enough times that the wives will notice.
fixed for relevancy

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 10:30 am

Speaking of poisonous reptiles (Komodo or Kimono):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-21351127
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 11:38 am

Oh right, nothing to do with this album from my record collection then...

Be careful what you wish for