Singapore Expats

At what time I need to fly airplane

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
vink2
Regular
Regular

At what time I need to fly airplane

Post by vink2 » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 4:34 pm

Please help to evaluate: at what time I need to fly from Japan to NYC or San Francisco to fly almost all the time during the day (not night).
And from San Francisco to back Tokyo.

The problem that I don't like to sleep in airplanes that is why don't want to fly during the night for so long period of time.

Thanks.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 5:17 pm

Well, to help you start your figuring, if you leave Singapore at 6~7 am in the morning and fly via Japan or HK then you will arrive somewhere around 7~9pm the same day. Actual transit time is in the neighbourhood of 22 to 24 hours depending on flights/transfers (I think the non-stop SIA flight to Newark has been stopped). So with 24 hours transiting 12 time zones, you are just about out of luck. You can fly to Japan in daylight and daylight out a ways over the pacific/polar route and then darkness till you hit Alaska and then daylight the rest of the way (this via UAL) or find other carriers that will go using a different/later departure time but at the end of the day you are going to get caught. You might try looking into Continental Airlines to Newark via across Europe/Atlantic not sure how it works the other way around to the east coast of the US.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

vink2
Regular
Regular

Post by vink2 » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 5:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Well, to help you start your figuring, if you leave Singapore at 6~7 am in the morning and fly via Japan or HK then you will arrive somewhere around 7~9pm the same day. Actual transit time is in the neighbourhood of 22 to 24 hours depending on flights/transfers (I think the non-stop SIA flight to Newark has been stopped). So with 24 hours transiting 12 time zones, you are just about out of luck. You can fly to Japan in daylight and daylight out a ways over the pacific/polar route and then darkness till you hit Alaska and then daylight the rest of the way (this via UAL) or find other carriers that will go using a different/later departure time but at the end of the day you are going to get caught. You might try looking into Continental Airlines to Newark via across Europe/Atlantic not sure how it works the other way around to the east coast of the US.
Thanks, I will be flying with Delta to Tokyo. They have lots of flights to USA every day (especially New York), that is why I'm thinking what will be the best way to depart from Japan.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 7:15 pm

Most flights that depart Asia for North America land on the west coast about 1-2 hours LOCAL TIME before you departed in local time.

For example, Cathay's flights from HK that leaves ~1pm local time land in California about 10am-12pm local time, same day. The flight that leaves HK at 1am lands around 9-10pm. Catch the ~7 or ~8am CX flight out of Changi to HKG and you're set.

Coming back, if you take the 1pm CX flight out of SFO back to HKG you'll land at ~7pm local time the next day. Ideal if you stay awake the whole flight.

I realize you're going via Tokyo, but it's the same concept give or take ~2 hours on either end.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 10:32 pm

Doesn't really matter - no matter what time you fly your body clock will be so screwed up getting there and returning. Only once in many many years did I ever beat jet lag by getting my sleep timings right.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 10:49 pm

Knock on wood. I've never been jet lagged. Ever. And I've been flying back & forth between Washington DC & Singapore for 30 years now. They keep telling me as I get old it will hit me. Last trip I made was a year ago, still nothing. Of course I have a sure cure, but not everybody can pull it off.

I work the day before I catch my flight (UAL so it leave at 7 am). But I don't go to bed or sleep that night. I catch my flight to Japan (still without sleep) and then stay awake across the Pacific till I'm around 3 or 4 hours out (after the dinner meal). Then I sleep till breakfast is served just prior to the descent into O'Hara (around 9 am Chicago time). Transfer to another flight down to Washington DC arriving around 7 pm Eastern Standard Time. Fit as a fiddle and no jet lag. Do much the same on the return. Way I figure, by staying up the night before I throw my biological clock out before getting on the plane and then go to sleep at the time I would be going to sleep at my destination. Viola! Clock changed. (The part most people cannot do is the fact that I stay up all those hours without stimulants like coffee therefore don't have any gut disturbances either.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 12:48 am

You can't really do what you want to do.

Fact 01: There is a 12+ hour time differential between Singapore and cities in the US.

Fact 02: It takes +/- 24 hours to fly from Singapore to a city in the US.

Therefore, it is going to be night time somewhere. About the best you can do is leave really late from Singapore. For example the SIN-DME-IAH flight leaves at 2:30 in the morning.

Check out hipmunk (http://www.hipmunk.com/flights/SIN-to-S ... ar13&pax=1). You can play around with lots of city combinations to see just what times you will be flying.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 6:47 am

Which is exactly what I said in my first reply in a different fashion I suppose.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 11:06 am

this is like an exam question! i recommend the red eye.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 12:33 pm

Virgin Atlantic Narita to London Heathrow leaves 11.30am arrives 3pm

Virgin Atlantic LHR to Newark leaves 4pm (tight connection!) arrives 7pm

Connection would be too tight for me