Singapore Expats

Things you like about Singapore?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 12:01 am

Completely and utterly lost!
:???:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 7:55 am

What is somehow ironic taking into account the recent discussion on locals and non-English native speakers foreigners missing sarcasm :)

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 11:13 am

Made me think of this: Image
Maybe that will help JR with the very odd Bostonian accent.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 12:42 pm

1.lots of lush greenery i love the rain trees especially

2. very good public transport system and infrastructure

3. very safe and since shopping is the national pastime the variety of things you get here are sometimes mindboggling

4. multi culti is always a good thing

5. A lot of friendly people despite a large number of bad ones out there. I've made some very good friends here lately.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 5:49 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:.... the variety of things you get here are sometimes mindboggling
The mindnumbing sameness of products in stores next door to one another is whats mindboggling. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 6:00 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:.... the variety of things you get here are sometimes mindboggling
You and I probably see very different stores then.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 6:44 pm

nakatago wrote:
You and I probably see very different stores then.
I have this genie in a bottle named mustafa :lol:

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 6:45 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
The mindnumbing sameness of products in stores next door to one another is whats mindboggling. :lol:
have you even been in a situation where you all you had to buy salt and sugar and there were 12 brands and 6 types to choose between them? :???:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 6:57 pm

Yep, every bloody weekend that I go shopping. Same 12 brands in all the stores. (in fact, just went this morning and it made my wallet 4C lighter as well. :( m :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 6:58 pm

Just too many to list. Its easier to list what I dont like about Singapore. May be I should list them in the other thread :)

But sometimes there may be 100s of things that make you want to stay here, but just one bad thing is enough to make you want to get out, like for example lack of good careers opportunities.

I am not sure, how many more months we are going to remain here, so we decided to make the most of it while we are here. We just came back from a 2N cruise with Star Cruises Virgo in the high seas. A must do, if you are from a country which doesnt have enough good cruise options :)

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 7:06 pm

I've never eaten so many different varieties of fruits as I have done in Singapore..
I'm a sucker for fruits :-|

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 7:27 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote: have you even been in a situation where you all you had to buy salt and sugar and there were 12 brands and 6 types to choose between them? :???:
That's nothing; go to NYC and your neighbourhod grocer will stock 30 types of milk.

p.s. The plural of fruit is fruit, not fruits, which is the collective noun for homosexual men.

@WD40
Interesting point re: career options. In my ex-shop, most of the more lowly jobs went to locals, and most of the high-end stuff was filled by internal transfer. On the other hand the CAO was local (he knew all the rules, regs and people). We also hired our former auditor (ditto).

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 7:56 pm

Ok here's a positive thing about here I can attest to, and unlike in Japan, they are reasonably priced and readily available.

I will however save my comments about local food for the other thread.

What I can say is at least there are more and better international restaurants here than before.
rajagainstthemachine wrote:I've never eaten so many different varieties of fruits as I have done in Singapore.. I'm a sucker for fruits :-|
And thanks to JR for pointing out the plural gaffe thing - others, take notice, I hear this a lot.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 8:34 pm

JR8 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote: have you even been in a situation where you all you had to buy salt and sugar and there were 12 brands and 6 types to choose between them? :???:
That's nothing; go to NYC and your neighbourhod grocer will stock 30 types of milk.

p.s. The plural of fruit is fruit, not fruits, which is the collective noun for homosexual men.

@WD40
Interesting point re: career options. In my ex-shop, most of the more lowly jobs went to locals, and most of the high-end stuff was filled by internal transfer. On the other hand the CAO was local (he knew all the rules, regs and people). We also hired our former auditor (ditto).
Singapore has job opportunities but depends on skills. The last 1 month I have been searching for a job, I haven't attended a single interview yet. I have got 2 calls so far. My current salary is 8.3k and both companies have told me that they can't afford that salary. I am a permanent employee in a bank working in IT with a niche skill set but as a devloper and not a manager. The 1st company I got a call for is a bank but its a contract job and they can offer only 6k another is non banking but permanent job but same they can only offer 6.5k. I think I am already overpaid for a developer role for Singapore standards. I guess it's better to go to Bangalore and get a better role like an architect or manager and gain some skills as a leader and then look for some overseas opportunities. But I hate to go down in salary and lifestyle just to remain in Singapore.

The reason I am looking for a job change is because my company is going to move my team to India, not Bangalore though. I knew right from the beginning when I came to SG that as long as I am in SG i am going to be with my current company. Hence I could never envisage making Singapore as a long term place to work and stay.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 9:09 pm

I very much appreciate this kind of remarks - thanks JR8, but I am lost a bit in this case. I see it is used in a plural form:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/fruit
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fruits

Hard to agree with some remarks over there that there is no plural form as it is an uncountable noon. IMHO it is both countable and uncountable depending on the context (I am not talking about homosexuality). Now, I have really problem to distinguish what and when based on the examples given in the above pages. I would probably use "fruits" in the context rajagainstthemachine used it.