Singapore Expats

What is the purpose of a Long Term Visit Pass?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 11:31 am

if you take offense with something someone (anyone) has said, it probably has nothing to do with their moderator status, so don't clump that in.

the mods here are entitled to their opinion and styles of reply, just like everyone else that is not a mod.

to add: in any country, work/residency permits/visas are a privilege, not a right. unfortunately this notion seems lost to some.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 11:49 am

Wd40 wrote:Marriage of convenience is a common thing to gain US citizenship. But someone to do that in Singapore, he must be desperate like crazy...

Have a read at this article:
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/singapore-toug ... 80%99.html
He noted in parliament that there are 12 cases of sham marriages in the first half of this year, compared to four or five annually over the past five years
If Singapore was really that attractive I would have imagined that number to be much higher. The statistics is so low that suspecting someone on this forum to be on that list is like suspecting everyone to be a criminal.
i think you have no clue how troublesome it is for an american to get one's non-american spouse a visa despite the seeming notion it's a cakewalk (not).

whether singapore is attractive or not is a matter of perspective. you are entitled to yours, just like anyone (and everyone and everything) else.

i am not surprised sham marriages are uncommon in singapore - the system works well to weed out cheats/would-be cheats (unfortunately, even at the expense of bona-fide marriages).

sham marriages that are not discovered... means just that. the trend generally points to a higher number, as do statistics.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 12:46 pm

The reason it's no higher is because ICA are pretty clued in on the potential abuse so it get's snuffed out before they get let in. Oh, you would be surprised at the number of "I got degree" types from the subcontinent try the ruse here. If they can get into Singapore, then later they have a better chance on migrating to the US/Aus/UK whereas trying it fresh from their home country would result in a washout. Same thing with the PR abusers and "I got masters". Dem da facts.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

habeebhashim

Post by habeebhashim » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 1:13 pm

-HH-
Last edited by habeebhashim on Tue, 05 Jan 2016 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 2:39 pm

If you have told ICA those facts, then to the officer it's like waving a banner saying this is only a temporary stop and my final destination is likely to be either NZ or Aus where other members of the family already are.

Also, Unless you received your Masters from IIT or from a western country (via stay in that country) it's unlikely that your masters will gain any traction at all as the Indian masters is not recognized as a Masters Degree at all in the world view, but only on the Subcontinent. Not trying to put it down or anything, but again, these are the facts and what is known by immigration officers worldwide.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

habeebhashim

Post by habeebhashim » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 8:21 pm

-HH-
Last edited by habeebhashim on Tue, 05 Jan 2016 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 8:49 pm

Sorry to hear that as ICA probably won't buy it. But Good Luck anyway.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 8:25 am

taxico wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Marriage of convenience is a common thing to gain US citizenship. But someone to do that in Singapore, he must be desperate like crazy...

Have a read at this article:
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/singapore-toug ... 80%99.html
He noted in parliament that there are 12 cases of sham marriages in the first half of this year, compared to four or five annually over the past five years
If Singapore was really that attractive I would have imagined that number to be much higher. The statistics is so low that suspecting someone on this forum to be on that list is like suspecting everyone to be a criminal.
i think you have no clue how troublesome it is for an american to get one's non-american spouse a visa despite the seeming notion it's a cakewalk (not).

whether singapore is attractive or not is a matter of perspective. you are entitled to yours, just like anyone (and everyone and everything) else.

i am not surprised sham marriages are uncommon in singapore - the system works well to weed out cheats/would-be cheats (unfortunately, even at the expense of bona-fide marriages).

sham marriages that are not discovered... means just that. the trend generally points to a higher number, as do statistics.
Let me put it this way, what do you get as a foreigner when you marry a local US citizen? What do you get as a foreigner when you marry a local Singaporean? There is a world of difference between the two.

I dont have to explain the difference between opportunities to make money as a low skilled person in the US vs Singapore. Singapore if you are low skilled at best you can become a prostitute to make money.

The number of illegal prostitutes in Singapore is large, they just come on a SVP and do that. Why would they need to do sham marriages to do that? So your logic of strict controls and hence less sham marriages is incorrect.

The OP in this case is a male, I just can fathom what benefit this country can give him if he does a sham marriage.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 8:47 am

Wd40, you make some weird assumptions. Main one, why do you think person entering sham marriage has the intention to conquer Singapore and immediately earn tons of money? If she comes from a poor country and family and is low skilled I am pretty sure she will be more than happy working as a shop assistant (or similar) and use this opportunity of having the foot in to get further developed (or find the true love :)

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 9:06 am

x9200 wrote:Wd40, you make some weird assumptions. Main one, why do you think person entering sham marriage has the intention to conquer Singapore and immediately earn tons of money? If she comes from a poor country and family and is low skilled I am pretty sure she will be more than happy working as a shop assistant (or similar) and use this opportunity of having the foot in to get further developed (or find the true love :)
Ok, this case is not exactly sham marriage, sham marriage is something usually short term to achieve something and then divorce once you get the benefit out of it. Also most cases like the one you are talking are females from poor background like PRC looking to marry rich Singaporean men for materialistic reasons. Again I won't call it sham marriage.

Sham marriage in US, UK etc happens when a person marries and then immediately applies for citizenship and then a divorce. Singapore that is not possible, but even if it was possible not a lot of people will be gunning for it considering how low skill workers are crying here and want to immigrate out.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 11:53 am

Wd40 wrote:
x9200 wrote:Wd40, you make some weird assumptions. Main one, why do you think person entering sham marriage has the intention to conquer Singapore and immediately earn tons of money? If she comes from a poor country and family and is low skilled I am pretty sure she will be more than happy working as a shop assistant (or similar) and use this opportunity of having the foot in to get further developed (or find the true love :)
Ok, this case is not exactly sham marriage, sham marriage is something usually short term to achieve something and then divorce once you get the benefit out of it. Also most cases like the one you are talking are females from poor background like PRC looking to marry rich Singaporean men for materialistic reasons. Again I won't call it sham marriage.

Sham marriage in US, UK etc happens when a person marries and then immediately applies for citizenship and then a divorce. Singapore that is not possible, but even if it was possible not a lot of people will be gunning for it considering how low skill workers are crying here and want to immigrate out.
Isn't that what many people are indicating they are doing? getting married and within days applying for PR (first step before Citizenship). and if that is refused they consider that Singapore has failed them.

Just from the last few weeks I’ve been back on this board, there was SC who wanted to bring her Pakistani husband from UAE to here and now there’s as Singaporean guy worrying about his marriage as his Vietnamese wife was kick out of the country after working illegally in KTV.

So from that small sample, I'd conclude that Singapore is attractive enough to encourage "sham marriages". What is the volume I have no clue, but obviously there is a reason ICA is controlling this and not going the European way where you are free to work here as long as you are married to a local.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 12:28 pm

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Wd40 wrote:

Isn't that what many people are indicating they are doing? getting married and within days applying for PR (first step before Citizenship). and if that is refused they consider that Singapore has failed them.

Just from the last few weeks I’ve been back on this board, there was SC who wanted to bring her Pakistani husband from UAE to here and now there’s as Singaporean guy worrying about his marriage as his Vietnamese wife was kick out of the country after working illegally in KTV.

So from that small sample, I'd conclude that Singapore is attractive enough to encourage "sham marriages". What is the volume I have no clue, but obviously there is a reason ICA is controlling this and not going the European way where you are free to work here as long as you are married to a local.
The examples you gave are not sham marriages. In sham marriage both parties know it is a sham and don't "worry" for the other party. The citizen would agree for the arrangement in return for money. It's a fake marriage and they don't even have physical relationship and most cases don't even stay together.

So a Pakistani will take risk of a sham marriage just to get citizenship in this country? That too when he is already in UAE. Yeah dream on!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 1:10 pm

Wd40 wrote:

Still don't know what is the base of your claim Singapore is not attractive to a group of people from less developed countries. Even if some of them are crying apparently they got here prior to this based on some expectations. More over I would question your another assumption that for the sham marriage (or whatever you call it) it is predominantly of low skill worker. IMHO these are probably most frequently middle or middle-upper skilled workers so will have no problem finding a job here if allowed. What makes the market inaccessible for them is not their bottom skills but competition from Singaporeans.

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 2:32 pm

Wd40 wrote:
ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Wd40 wrote: Ok, this case is not exactly sham marriage, sham marriage is something usually short term to achieve something and then divorce once you get the benefit out of it. Also most cases like the one you are talking are females from poor background like PRC looking to marry rich Singaporean men for materialistic reasons. Again I won't call it sham marriage.

The examples you gave are not sham marriages. In sham marriage both parties know it is a sham and don't "worry" for the other party. The citizen would agree for the arrangement in return for money. It's a fake marriage and they don't even have physical relationship and most cases don't even stay together.

So a Pakistani will take risk of a sham marriage just to get citizenship in this country? That too when he is already in UAE. Yeah dream on!
Yes, with your definition of sham marriage it is less likely to happen in Singapore because marriage doesn't automatically guarantee any rights.
I guess the cases I'm talking about where at least one parties main motivation for the marriage is the assumed right to move to Singapore.

For a Pakistani working in UAE and wanting to come here, it certainly was not me who made that story up. Maybe the guy wants to get another place to stay than Pakistan. UAE for sure will not give him a citizenship, I think it is simply impossible for any foreigner. Or is it really that every Pakistani in the world would choose UAE over Singapore?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 2:42 pm

In recent years, Pakistanis have become rather disenchanted with the Middle East, and yes, they are trying hard than before to come to Singapore. I regularly get CV's from them.