Singapore Expats

E-Scooters law?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
IceecI

E-Scooters law?

Post by IceecI » Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:04 pm

Hi all,
I am rather curious on Electric Scooters, those like kick scooters but run on battery.
have being going around Lta and etc websites but nothing was mention on this e_ kick-scooters.

many thanks in advance :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 31 Jan 2013 1:46 am

Using them where?

If you've looked at LTA thinking you can use them on roads my gut-feel is you're mistaken. Put another way: I can't think of any country that you can use a motorised skateboard on public roads.

If you clarify your circumstances/thoughts though, people here will be better able to advise.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 31 Jan 2013 2:16 pm

When I read cringe-worthy English like the OP I have to exercise restraint not to correct the grammar, punctuation, etc.

Anyway, these scooters are actually a pretty good idea. I saw a guy in office clothes zoom by me on his way to work. He was moving!

They are collapsible so you could take one on a bus or train, and would be good for anyone (like me) who would have an otherwise long, sweaty walk to a train station.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 31 Jan 2013 2:21 pm

Brah wrote:Anyway, these scooters are actually a pretty good idea. I saw a guy in office clothes zoom by me on his way to work. He was moving!

They are collapsible so you could take one on a bus or train, and would be good for anyone (like me) who would have an otherwise long, sweaty walk to a train station.
I'm considering to get one actually. And I'm going to look for one that come with a shoulder strap so that I can sling it around my shoulders when I board bus or MRT.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 31 Jan 2013 3:00 pm

I want a Yike Bike. Saw one of these at Redhill MRT station a couple of months ago. Really awesome and really expensive but a real eye catcher.

edited to add link...

http://www.fsgmobilityconcepts.com/yike.htm
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 31 Jan 2013 3:20 pm

Brah wrote:When I read cringe-worthy English like the OP I have to exercise restraint not to correct the grammar, punctuation, etc.
But they were only asking for advise :P

Electric scooters... Hmm. Ok in general I suppose, apart from two things:

1. Don't get much excercise; an old-fashioned push bike is better for that.
2. Too quiet. I nearly got taken out by an imbecile riding one of those recklessly around Gardens By The Bay last night. :x
Be careful what you wish for

taxico
Director
Director

Re: E-Scooters law?

Post by taxico » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 11:11 am

IceecI wrote:I am rather curious on Electric Scooters, those like kick scooters but run on battery.

have being going around Lta and etc websites but nothing was mention on this e_ kick-scooters.
no rules on battery powered kick scooters. i've asked LTA and TP personally via email. they are, however, not allowed on the roads.

i used to run a gas powered goped in singapore until i got pulled over by neighborhood patrol cops one night, who let me go after i talked circles around them. those are not legal, btw.

the problem i faced riding a battery powered goped was rain and servicing costs. batteries + rain = not good.

this was years back, but can only assume sealing methods have improved.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 16 Feb 2013 1:56 pm

Any ideas on shops that have a decent selection of electric scooters? I am referring to the kind that look like slightly bigger versions of Razors.

I Googled a bit but didn't find much.

iamsen
Regular
Regular

Post by iamsen » Sun, 17 Feb 2013 11:07 pm

I've seen quite a few folks out on this e-scoots on the roads here in the NE and also around Cityhall, sometimes going against traffic. Real menace.

Nihility
Regular
Regular

Post by Nihility » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 3:07 pm

As this thread is a touch old now, any updates with regards to the law and these scooters?

I gather they are not to be ridden on the road, a helmet is encouraged but not law?

Anyone here ride one and can comment on the experience?

I'm looking at getting one to avoid the sweaty walks to and fro the MRT and bus stops. Worth every penny me thinks :)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 6:08 pm

Nihility wrote:As this thread is a touch old now, any updates with regards to the law and these scooters?

I gather they are not to be ridden on the road, a helmet is encouraged but not law?

I'm looking at getting one to avoid the sweaty walks to and fro the MRT and bus stops. Worth every penny me thinks :)
Personally, I use this for ~1km "walks" during my commute. Halves the time: http://www.microscooters.com.au/adult-s ... ck-scooter Yes, no motor. I could use (and don't mind) the exercise anyway.

For those available in Singapore: http://www.decathlon.sg/scooters/982/ad ... -scooters/

Note they also have motorized scooters.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 30 Jul 2014 10:14 pm

Nihility wrote:As this thread is a touch old now, any updates with regards to the law and these scooters?

there has been much clarification given from the brass, especially in recent times.

legally, any self-propelled vehicle cannot be used on (LTA-managed) sidewalks, roads, (Nparks-managed) parks + PCN, (town council and HDB-managed) HDB estates and carparks... etc.

bicycles are, legally, not supposed to be ridden on sidewalks either. many people do so... therefore take away what you will. although i will say that push bikes are probably tolerated on sidewalks but recent (2005?) legislation exists to ensure e-bicycles stay on roads only (along with helmet use, power and age restrictions, etc).

private property (with no by-laws prohibiting or restricting such scooters) and some public areas/properties managed by organizations like JTC (this includes a few parks) and SLA and will probably be not affect e-scooter and e-bicycle usage.

to be fair, the email i sent back in 2010 to LTA and TP was worded in such a way that the persons replying had no choice but to imply i was allowed to casually be on an "electrically-assisted kick-scooter with no seat or seat post" in most public areas that had no expressed prohibitions or with disregard/contravention to all relevant statutes (i quoted all i could find).

i then carried that 2 emails around when i was on my battery goped so no cop could gave me grief. however, i've not been on one in public here in daylight since i've been counseled that they will ultimately fail all tests and be classified as motor vehicles by any competent judge should anything untoward happen (whether my fault or otherwise).

UK case law: Saddington v. DPP 2000 and Winter v. DPP 2002

therefore... ride at your own risk. helmets are probably the least of your concerns on an e-scooter... and if you perspire easily, no amount of scooting will prevent that when you're using it outdoors (especially during the day) in singapore.

note that LTA officers (those on bikes WITHOUT police riding jackets - some are on 200cc or 400cc bikes as they still do not hold a class 2 license) these days are no longer mostly seconded/seasoned TP officers more concerned with road-going vehicles and (the classic meaning of) road safety but are younger men with a broad mandate to stop anything with wheels that looks like it COULD be violating some law or regulation (including bicycles and kick-scooters).

both LTA and TP officers do rounds in private and HDB estates - i've seen them as recently as two weeks ago (i saw a group of 3 TP bikes: 2x200cc scooters and a honda interceptor, over 3 nights after 8.30pm near my wife's office deep in an HDB neighborhood).

rest assured that if an LTA officer pulls you over, he will do his best to lighten your wallet. so don't give him a reason to do that...

good luck!

edit: i bear no responsibility for your actions after reading what i have typed out above.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 31 Jul 2014 8:42 am

...so an electric skateboard would be out of the question...?

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 31 Jul 2014 1:37 pm

Brah wrote:...so an electric skateboard would be out of the question...?
seeing that there is no way to add usable and realistically functional pedals to a skateboard or kickscooter... i would think so, because they are easily deemed mechanically propelled vehicles...

as are electric unicycles without working pedals... what's (IMO) probably allowed are power assisted pedal cycles and disability/mobility scooters.

a gasoline powered bicycle, IIRC, is classified somewhere as a moped and thus subjected to motor vehicle laws (registration, ERP, etc).

i would probably just buy a small LTA approved e-bicycle or a cheap scooter if i wanted to stay clear of the law/not be used to set precedent.

in any case, most singaporeans believe you can do anything here as long as you don't get caught.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 31 Jul 2014 1:40 pm

Damn, so even no hoverboard then!