Singapore Expats

Tioman by ferry for Chinese new Year

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
vink2
Regular
Regular

Tioman by ferry for Chinese new Year

Post by vink2 » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 5:18 pm

Guys,

What do you think about ferry service during Chinese new year: will it be safe to travel by ferry or better to wait until March?

Thanks.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tioman by ferry for Chinese new Year

Post by JR8 » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 7:08 pm

vink2 wrote:Guys,
What do you think about ferry service during Chinese new year: will it be safe to travel by ferry or better to wait until March?
Thanks.
As you might imagine Tioman is an absolute zoo during CNY. But the issue is wider than just Tioman. Many travelers overnight in Mersing, so that'll be a zoo as well. Then the ferries, they'll .... [you get the picture I think :)].

Tioman is lovely, but going during CNY would not do it justice IME/IMO.

p.s
It wouldn't surprise me hugely if the ferries and hotels are already booked out for CNY. Another thought is that if you can afford it it is way better to fly there. The flight used to go from Seletar (small, quick and easy) and take around 40 minutes or so, direct into Tekek town on the island. Compare that to doing it by bus and boat staying at Mersing and heavens knows how long on the road + the hell of crossing the causeway.

pps. I don't know how monsoon is this year, but if it's still ongoing that crossing is maybe going to be pretty rough/unpleasant. Sometimes if it's really bad the ferries are canceled/rescheduled. Added to that during monsoon many of the dive/snorkel operators are closed (because the usually crystal-clear waters get stirred up so you can't see much).

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 12:57 am

I totally agree with JR8 about the ferry. It's not reliable even when there isn't a holiday. People climbing over rails to get onto the boat. Huge delays. Take the plane or get a fast boat charter... much faster that your average ferry... also a lot more expensive.

I also agree that it is late to book for CNY... my favorite place, Minang Cove, (http://www.tiomanislandresort.net/) is sold out.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 1:27 am

Strong Eagle wrote:I totally agree with JR8 about the ferry. It's not reliable even when there isn't a holiday. People climbing over rails to get onto the boat. Huge delays. Take the plane or get a fast boat charter... much faster that your average ferry... also a lot more expensive.

I also agree that it is late to book for CNY... my favorite place, Minang Cove, (http://www.tiomanislandresort.net/) is sold out.
Eagle, can you post a link to where it is on the map? I've tried various searches (from there www, and standalone on Google/Maps but nothing definitive comes up). Is it down on the south coast adjacent to the Japamala Resort?

I'm just curious as I've spent a few months on Tioman but can't say I'm familiar with this place: Hence curious! :)

p.s. Also proximity to Kg. Tekek can really change your experience. I.e. transport, and alternative exploring and dining options.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 3:00 am

JR8 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:I totally agree with JR8 about the ferry. It's not reliable even when there isn't a holiday. People climbing over rails to get onto the boat. Huge delays. Take the plane or get a fast boat charter... much faster that your average ferry... also a lot more expensive.

Eagle, can you post a link to where it is on the map? I've tried various searches (from there www, and standalone on Google/Maps but nothing definitive comes up). Is it down on the south coast adjacent to the Japamala Resort?

I'm just curious as I've spent a few months on Tioman but can't say I'm familiar with this place: Hence curious! :)

p.s. Also proximity to Kg. Tekek can really change your experience. I.e. transport, and alternative exploring and dining options.
Yes, down south... a couple of maps, below. Long way from Kg. Tekek but it's a short walk to Kg. Makut where there are places to eat... lovely small town. You really won't do much at Minang except snorkel, dive, eat, swim, or walk into town... great place to do nothing.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 4:07 am

Oh thanks, interesting. I've not heard of that hotel before (perhaps it's new?).

vink2
Regular
Regular

Post by vink2 » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 6:24 am

Thanks, guys. Will change my plans