Singapore Expats

I need advise on bulk purchase

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
Import Goon!

I need advise on bulk purchase

Post by Import Goon! » Wed, 18 May 2005 3:05 pm

Hi all,
I started my business a year ago doing on-line graphics etc. Recently I need to purchase some plastic items on huge volume from a local supplier. I can pay them by 50% deposit, 50% delivered or by local letter of credit. I would choose to pay the deposit.

I just want to know how do I ensure the right quality is being delivered and the goods delivered are undamaged or of the right quality etc.
what are the safeguards or proper contractual declarations the suppliers are obliged to sign.

If the worst happens (touch wood),
too late delivery, quality is unacceptable etc. what actions can I take.
What if its a supplier that is outside singapore?

Thanks in advance.

Import Goon!

Jean1

Post by Jean1 » Wed, 18 May 2005 4:45 pm

Hi,

If the quantity is huger and the value is high, you can hire a third party to do the inspection for you. The charges depends on the quantity and the complicability of the goods. Normally the charge manpower/ day.

http://www.intertek-labtest.com/location/singapore.html

Try this one, ITS, I like to use them the most as they are more profession than others. Or if you have time, why don't u do the inspection yourself? Or if you have any technican can help u to do it?

If you do not trust your supplier, don't pay by L/C, it is because if they complete and submit the correct document, even the product and quality is not what u want, you still need to pay.

If you chose to use third party to do the audit, they will normally issue a document to you tell you the quality and if there is any defect before shipment. Try to use your own forwarder as well, as you will know if the goods are actually on board.

Post by Guest » Fri, 20 May 2005 4:49 am

I would believe you are satisfied with samples you have received.

It is also wise to negociate maybe 30% deposit and remainder after inspection, say 7 days, if you have any doubts.

But be informed trade is based on trust, it is not in your suppliers interest to rip you off, but quality control is a matter of importance, It would be wise to have a 3rd party check it out, in the country of origin, and preferably some one with knowledge of the standards