Singapore Expats

Married a Work Permit Holder

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 31 Jan 2013 8:41 pm

Are both on Work Permits, e.g., not singapore citizens? If so, it shouldn't make any difference, but you are supposed to notify MOM anytime your circumstances change, so yes, it would be a good idea.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bluetan1989

Post by bluetan1989 » Thu, 31 Jan 2013 10:32 pm

They worry when they notifed MOM, will they either one cannot work in sg as both are work permit holders....

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 01 Feb 2013 6:51 am

bluetan1989 wrote:They worry when they notifed MOM, will they either one cannot work in sg as both are work permit holders....
If you don't know what you are saying, you should just keep your keyboard shut.

The only time MOM "cares" when WP gets married is if they are marrying a Singapore Citizen. Then it's required to get permission to marry from MOM. But no permission is required for two foreigner to marry. :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

quraisyah92

Post by quraisyah92 » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 9:24 pm

i have a problem here. i'm a Sporean Lady.. and my BF is a malaysian holding a work permit.. (as always work permit prblm) we plan to get married by end of this year but then reading from others pass experience makes me more afraid to face the facts. BUT my stories are different.. We plan to get married in MALAYSIA and settle down in MALAYSIA helping with his mother's buisness.. but hoping not to get any trouble with laws.. i dun wanna stay in spore neither my BF but i don't want him to get banned from coming to singapore and my whole family is still here.. so what is the chance of having our application approved by them..?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 9:54 pm

I'm trying to figure out what your question is.

You're posting on an SG forum, to ask about whether there are any pitfalls to getting married and settling down in MY?

If that's correct, it may yield more insight if posted on a MY-centric forum.

Just my 2c.

Good luck!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 9:56 pm

Question. Are you earning enough to support him if he doesn't have the WP? e.g., at least around 3K/mo or more? If so, the odds are pretty good. If he's Malaysian Chinese even better. In fact almost a sure win situation.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 9:58 pm

JR8, she just doesn't want to have any immigration problems in the future if they should decide to come to Singapore. I can understand her trepidation as I've got the offspring of something similar living with me for the last 4 years (she is 5 now).

quraisyah92

Post by quraisyah92 » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 10:28 pm

i don't really think i have enough to support him.. but is that important?although we are not planning to stay in singapore..

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 11:25 pm

That's the problem isn't it. If you go to Malaysia and marry but don't get MOM's blessings, then you dynamite one bridge. It's never smart to blow up bridges and it makes it difficult to come back. What I would suggest, instead of fretting about what to do, just write to MOM requesting permission to marry. If they give it. no worries. If they don't, then you can determine how important it to return or just have the folks meet up in JB.

Fretting about it only adds unnessary stress to yourselves. Once you have a definitive answer, then you can make firm decisions. Good Luck. But I don't think you will have a problem, truth be told.

Clonehero

problem: marrying an WP(female) but she's now expecting

Post by Clonehero » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 8:05 am

Hi
Would like to sound out my problem and would need advice from you senior.

Am a singaporean, earning 2.7k gross, a regular in SAF
(Female) work permit, earning 2k gross
She is expecting my child, and we have yet to marry.
I have asked for application form from the MoM for approval of marriage.
The form was receive and one of the question which hold me.
Q: is the female expecting a child

If I put yes and specify: 3month

What will be the outcome?
I just wan to marry her b4 the child born so that my child could have a daddy.
Regards
Am a singaporean
Proud to be one

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 11:00 am

Unfortunately, that's one I don't know the answer to. The problem is, if you try to fudge it. You will be found out and that could make matters worse. Just answer truthfully, and then worry about the consequences. Good possibility that they will see it as a bonus as it shows that you are wanting to create a family unit. The only problem will be your income as it's not enough to support a family of three and while MOM won't care too much, ICA will if she loses the WP as the burden of support will fall directly on you and ICA might not give her an LTVP. But, until you ask you won't know.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 5:09 am

Look Bhatty, a word of advice right now.

STOP posting your spam.

We're all entirely sick of your sort, we've seen it for 30+ years, and we see it a mile off.

Yah, --- got it?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 6:56 am

JR8 wrote:Look Bhatty, a word of advice right now.

STOP posting your spam.

We're all entirely sick of your sort, we've seen it for 30+ years, and we see it a mile off.

Yah, --- got it?
Kind of like a fungus... got to nip it before it spreads. All gone.

ahmad_86

rejected of getting married to a ex wp holder.

Post by ahmad_86 » Sat, 02 Mar 2013 3:52 am

Hi gd evening,

I would like to ask for help currently my appeal of getting married to my fiancee who is an ex WP holder has been rejected for the 3rd time the first time was because my of my salary but afyer which i worked hard and get a promotion which my salary almost 2k.I even asked my HR director to help me an appraisal to MOM but as for now ive jist received the letter again and its being rejecyed.The reason stated overleaf of the letter is that an ex work permit should not be getting married witjout the approval of the controller.I would like to seek help from any of you for your kind advise on what should i do the next step as i just want to build up a family of my own.Appreciate if you could advise me on what step should i do next.thank you so much.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 Mar 2013 6:53 am

Pretty obvious, wouldn't you say? You need to get permission from the MOM. You need to write to them requesting permission to marry your WP holding girlfriend. If they don't give it to you, you can still marry her but if you want to live with her you will have to immigrate to her country as there is no way the gahmen here will give her an LTVP, and PR is defo out of the question. Go down to MOM and ask them what they need in the letter and write it, else no go.