Singapore Expats

Shipping a bike to Singapore by plane from UK

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
tom3598

Shipping a bike to Singapore by plane from UK

Post by tom3598 » Mon, 28 Jan 2013 12:25 am

I am going to be moving to Singapore in late March from the UK.

I'm really excited.

I have a couple of questions regarding my bike, and whether I can take it with me. I would like to know if anyone has any experience.

I am flying from the UK. Has anyone taken a bike from the UK to Singapore by plane?

How did you store it upon landing?

How much did it cost?

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 28 Jan 2013 2:15 am

Me and people I know have brought bicycles with me on the plane to Singapore several times before, although not from UK.
There is absolutely no problem with it. Just ask the airline for the conditions (and cost). Check it in. Then, on arrival, collect it at the bulky luggage corner, push it through customs and ask the taxi counter to call a maxi cab to take it to town. (You cannot take it on public transport, and cycling after such a long flight is not recommendable.)

tom3598

Post by tom3598 » Mon, 28 Jan 2013 9:10 am

Thanks for the reply.

Is there a customs charge?

What kind of packaging did you use? I.e. is cardboard okay?

I presume this is cheaper than just having say DHL ship it as a package?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:05 am

tom3598 wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Is there a customs charge?

What kind of packaging did you use? I.e. is cardboard okay?

I presume this is cheaper than just having say DHL ship it as a package?
Check with the airline you plan to fly. For example SQ:
http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/trave ... e-outsize/

Take it to a local bike shop and ask them to pack it for you. Most decent bike shops do this quite often and know how to properly pack a bicycle. Or, From Google:
http://www.skyscanner.net/news/how-take-your-bike-plane

Beppi most likely does not work for both the airline you are flying and DHL, so will be unable to quote you rates and tell you which is cheaper. Why don't you put in the minimal effort on this and look it up yourself? There is a difference between asking for some help from someone who has done something before and being lazy and trying to get someone else to do your work for you.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 29 Jan 2013 5:39 am

Lufthansa charges sometimes EUR75 and sometimes EUR150 (the actual price seems to be random, and I even negotiated it from 150 to 75 once!) for a bicycle from Europe to Singapore.
Ask at DHL and post it here, so we can compare!

Different airlines have different rules about packaging. Some require nothing and the bike must be able to roll (for ease of handling), others ask for pedals and handle bar removed, others for wheels removed and everything packed in a box. Ask and follow what they say!
Oh and: There's a high likelyhood for some damage to the bike, usually minor or easily repaired, but if you are averse to scratches, don't ship it! (Of course they make you sign that they are not liable for any damage.)

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 29 Jan 2013 5:40 am

There is no customs charge for bringing a used bicycle into Singapore.

darpy

Post by darpy » Thu, 31 Jan 2013 6:13 pm

I used emirates and they check the bike in like normal luggage

The only problem, Singapore has very few taxis that can actually fit a bike in so you might want to think about how you will get it from the airport to your place.

I ended up paying a prepaid maxi