Singapore Expats

Student pass holder, looking to apply for PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Gk91

Student pass holder, looking to apply for PR

Post by Gk91 » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 1:54 pm

Hi all. I am currently an undergraduate from one of the local gov unis and I will be graduating in June this year. I am a Malaysian, 22 and I have been studying here for the past 3 years. As a foreigner, I am kinda worried about my career prospect once I graduate because most of the companies' requirement is that the applicant must be a Singaporean or a PR. Even if it is not explicitly stated, I know I will have a lesser chance compared with the locals.

Hence, I am eager to apply for PR status but when I checked the ICA website, I did not fulfill any requirement except for the fact that my dad is a Singapore citizen. So, can I still apply for PR before I graduate and start working? Without a PR status, may I know what is the chance of landing a decent job here? I am specializing in Banking and Finance btw and I am looking for an analyst role. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by Gk91 on Sun, 27 Jan 2013 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vestapo

Re: Student pass holder, looking to apply for PR

Post by vestapo » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 1:58 pm

Gk91 wrote:Hi all. I am currently an undergraduate from NTU and I will be graduating in June this year. I am a Malaysian, 22 and I have been studying here for the past 3 years. As a foreigner, I am kinda worried about my career prospect once I graduate because most of the companies' requirement is that the applicant must be a Singaporean or a PR. Even if it is not explicitly stated, I know I will have a lesser chance compared with the locals.

Hence, I am eager to apply for PR status but when I checked the ICA website, I did not fulfill any requirement except for the fact that my dad is a Singapore citizen. So, can I still apply for PR before I graduate and start working? Without a PR status, may I know what is the chance of landing a decent job here? I am specializing in Banking and Finance btw and I am looking for an analyst role. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Are you male or female? If you are male you must serve NS before you can be considered for Singapore PR under your father sponsorship, why are you not even a PR even when your father is a citizen? If you tried to evade the law of NS and now want to get PR I believe it is not possible. If you are a female, thing will be easier. Without PR status, it is not easy to land an entry level job, there are too many Singaporeans and PRs looking for Banking and Finance jobs

Gk91

Post by Gk91 » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 2:06 pm

vestapo wrote:
Gk91 wrote:Hi all. I am currently an undergraduate from NTU and I will be graduating in June this year. I am a Malaysian, 22 and I have been studying here for the past 3 years. As a foreigner, I am kinda worried about my career prospect once I graduate because most of the companies' requirement is that the applicant must be a Singaporean or a PR. Even if it is not explicitly stated, I know I will have a lesser chance compared with the locals.

Are you male or female? If you are male you must serve NS before you can be considered for Singapore PR under your father sponsorship, why are you not even a PR even when your father is a citizen? If you tried to evade the law of NS and now want to get PR I believe it is not possible. If you are a female, thing will be easier. Without PR status, it is not easy to land an entry level job, there are too many Singaporeans and PRs looking for Banking and Finance jobs
Thanks for your reply. I am actually a male. I guess even if I want to apply for PR under the sponsorship of my father, it won't be possible since I'm already over 21 right? And I've never thought of evading the law of NS. I'm willing to serve NS if I can apply using that route. As for your last point, thanks for your confirmation. Things are certainly looking bleak for me now. :(

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 5:02 pm

Gk91 wrote:
vestapo wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I am actually a male. I guess even if I want to apply for PR under the sponsorship of my father, it won't be possible since I'm already over 21 right? And I've never thought of evading the law of NS. I'm willing to serve NS if I can apply using that route. As for your last point, thanks for your confirmation. Things are certainly looking bleak for me now. :(
The fact that you are a son of a Singaporean and do not already have PR, but are already over the age of 21, means that you will only be able to get PR now on your own merits. That means without experience you will not be able to get a job even as a fresher as there are plenty of locals or PR with experience and even without experience like yourself. Additionally, you will probably only be given a 30 days SVP upon surrender of your Student Pass. You will not be able to get an LTVP if you are over the age of 21 because you avoided NS by not taking up PR years ago. The gahmen has a long memory so you or your parents have prematurely dug you a grave that will be difficult to extract yourself from.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

habeebhashim

Post by habeebhashim » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 6:38 pm

-HH-
Last edited by habeebhashim on Tue, 05 Jan 2016 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gk91

Post by Gk91 » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 6:46 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
The fact that you are a son of a Singaporean and do not already have PR, but are already over the age of 21, means that you will only be able to get PR now on your own merits. That means without experience you will not be able to get a job even as a fresher as there are plenty of locals or PR with experience and even without experience like yourself. Additionally, you will probably only be given a 30 days SVP upon surrender of your Student Pass. You will not be able to get an LTVP if you are over the age of 21 because you avoided NS by not taking up PR years ago. The gahmen has a long memory so you or your parents have prematurely dug you a grave that will be difficult to extract yourself from.
Well. Harsh but true. Sigh. And again, I didn't avoid intentionally. But that's irrelevant from the gov perspective I suppose.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 7:26 pm

habeebhashim wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: The fact that you are a son of a Singaporean and do not already have PR, but are already over the age of 21, means that you will only be able to get PR now on your own merits. That means without experience you will not be able to get a job even as a fresher as there are plenty of locals or PR with experience and even without experience like yourself. Additionally, you will probably only be given a 30 days SVP upon surrender of your Student Pass. You will not be able to get an LTVP if you are over the age of 21 because you avoided NS by not taking up PR years ago. The gahmen has a long memory so you or your parents have prematurely dug you a grave that will be difficult to extract yourself from.
Was wondering about this. But heartening to hear that one can be judged on ones own merits in this case.
Your own merits are going to have to be very appealing however... not some second class business degree from a local university.
Now I'm called PNGMK

Gk91

Post by Gk91 » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 7:31 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
Your own merits are going to have to be very appealing however... not some second class business degree from a local university.
So what's considered as first class?

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 8:50 pm

Gk91 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
So what's considered as first class?
This is Singapore. It's a secret.
Now I'm called PNGMK

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 9:31 pm

Ivy League or Oxford?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Gk91

Post by Gk91 » Mon, 28 Jan 2013 1:50 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Ivy League or Oxford?
wow. so a degree from NUS is considered as 2nd class? Dat's new. :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 Jan 2013 6:54 am

New where?

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 28 Jan 2013 7:53 am

Gk91 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Ivy League or Oxford?
wow. so a degree from NUS is considered as 2nd class? Dat's new. :lol:
Um yeah. Taught to think - no. Taught to critically analyze - no. Taught to memorize large amounts of useless material -yes.

When I went to Uni in the enlightened 80's it was to be taught to think. When you went to NUS it was to get a piece of paper. World of difference.
Now I'm called PNGMK

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:09 am

the OP did, after all, start this post, so i guess it's not surprising that he finds NUS to be awesome and the bestest and terrificest.