Singapore Expats

Abusive/Offensive Language by ShopOwner/Salesman

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
iskaaruna

Abusive/Offensive Language by ShopOwner/Salesman

Post by iskaaruna » Mon, 28 Jan 2013 3:43 pm

Hi All,

Not very sure to add this topic in this forum, however need advice on tackling the issue. My husband along with our 7 months old daughter and a friend went to a shop opposite mustafa to buy lens for camera. The ShopOwner/Salesman(not sure) showed him few lenses(it look less than 10-15 mins) and my husband thought they were expensive and so was walking out and the ShopOwner/Salesman said some very abusive/offensive words. My husband called the police and they arrived in few minutes and enquired what has happened and about our visa status. They said that it is a consumer case and gave a number to report about it. After coming back home my husband called the number and told them the situation, but they did not take any complaint because we have not bought any item from them.

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Mon, 28 Jan 2013 3:57 pm

the police was called just because some abusive/offensive words were used?

geez. thats abit soft

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 28 Jan 2013 5:21 pm

Should have said your(the wife's) modesty was outraged. :cool:

alittlerisky
Chatter
Chatter

Post by alittlerisky » Mon, 28 Jan 2013 5:38 pm

jeez.. Try living in Johannesburg mate. They're not rude to you there. They just shoot you.
Who? What? How? Why? Where? When? Merde...

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 28 Jan 2013 5:47 pm

Abusive language is not a 'seizable offence' in Singapore. Hence no action will happen unless an acting superintendent or rank above intervenes or a district judge makes a court order.

You'd be better off complaining to Mustaffa management. A lot of Mustapha outlets are run by syndicates (i.e. they run businesses inside the business). If you think Mustafa is bad though you've not pissed off a Sim Lim Salesman!
Now I'm called PNGMK

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Mon, 28 Jan 2013 9:43 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:If you think Mustafa is bad though you've not pissed off a Sim Lim Salesman!
^^^ +1
Be careful what you wish for

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:20 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:If you think Mustafa is bad though you've not pissed off a Sim Lim Salesman!
^^^ +1
I agree most of Sim Lim just seems to have been hit with the 'bad-karma' stick. I imagine they know they offer some of the best prices, so you're at their mercy and they can rude at will.

Funny old world.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:25 pm

This was all in a shop opposite to Mustafa, not in Mustafa.
As for SLS I have been shopping there for IT and camera stuff since I put my foot in Singapore for the first time and never experienced any situation like described.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: Abusive/Offensive Language by ShopOwner/Salesman

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 28 Jan 2013 11:16 pm

iskaaruna wrote:Hi All,

Not very sure to add this topic in this forum, however need advice on tackling the issue. My husband along with our 7 months old daughter and a friend went to a shop opposite mustafa to buy lens for camera. The ShopOwner/Salesman(not sure) showed him few lenses(it look less than 10-15 mins) and my husband thought they were expensive and so was walking out and the ShopOwner/Salesman said some very abusive/offensive words. My husband called the police and they arrived in few minutes and enquired what has happened and about our visa status. They said that it is a consumer case and gave a number to report about it. After coming back home my husband called the number and told them the situation, but they did not take any complaint because we have not bought any item from them.

May be you should speak to a lawyer in that case and file a lawsuit.

Very interested to know which country you are from. I wont be surprised one bit if you tell you are from Indian subcontinent. I guess, because you cant excercise those rights there, you thought of getting even here? Sorry you need something more solid than that :lol:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 29 Jan 2013 12:34 am

zzm9980 wrote:Should have said your(the wife's) modesty was outraged. :cool:
This.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Tue, 29 Jan 2013 8:12 am

x9200 wrote:This was all in a shop opposite to Mustafa, not in Mustafa.
As for SLS I have been shopping there for IT and camera stuff since I put my foot in Singapore for the first time and never experienced any situation like described.
SLS and SLT have completely different styles... SLT is the one I have had problems in and see people come unstuck in. SLS seems pretty straight.
Now I'm called PNGMK

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 29 Jan 2013 9:24 am

OP has mentioned lens and there is no standard camera lens shop in SLT (AFAIK) so I thought it was about SLS. On the other hand I also shop in SLT pretty frequently and had no problems although I have to acknowledge it is more rough over there in that sense that they cater mostly for locals so no extra courtesy.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 29 Jan 2013 10:08 am

SLT has a great bunch of B2B shops... instruments, controls, lights, motors, controllers... really a haven for the electrically inclined trying to build all kinds of shit. Also have a great store that still sells and repairs tube amplifiers... I've always been treated well.

OTOH, never been to the audio stores, so I don't know.

proxymoron
Regular
Regular

Post by proxymoron » Tue, 29 Jan 2013 10:20 am

Just curious... so there is nothing OP could do about it? :(

And... would one get in to any legal trouble, if he abuse them back??

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Tue, 29 Jan 2013 11:14 am

proxymoron wrote:Just curious... so there is nothing OP could do about it? :(

And... would one get in to any legal trouble, if he abuse them back??
She/he could start a private prosecution. Without reviewing the SCC I believe that abusive language is a form of battery (verbal assault). I've seen POLICE prosecute for that here (along with other offences).

The other option is to have some heavy hitter local friends.
Now I'm called PNGMK