Singapore Expats

Workers' Party Lee Li Lian wins by more than 3,000 votes

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Workers' Party Lee Li Lian wins by more than 3,000 votes

Post by Pal » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 11:44 pm

Workers' Party Lee Li Lian wins by more than 3,000 votes in the Punggol East by-election.

> WP Lee Li Lian - 16,038 votes / 54.52 %
> PAP Koh Poh Koon - 12,856 votes / 43.71 %
> RP Kenneth Jeyaretnam - 353 votes / 1.20 %
> SDA Desmond Lim - 168 votes / 0.57 %

Total number of votes cast - 29,832

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 12:04 am

f yeah.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 12:14 am

:(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Travailes » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 12:40 am

A new forum ?
Cool.........................
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 2:32 am

I read some articles on this at Yahoo-SG (curiously the BBC do not seem to have seen fit to report the result at all).

What struck me was how deeply condescending one party's pre-election positioning was. You know; 'Vote for us, or the sky will fall in!'.

Well, they didn't vote for you, and it hasn't.

So... now what? Bribing people with their own money is SO last century. And you've just been called on precisely that.

Well, Chicken Little just got a thunderbolt up it's wazoo.

It is going to be most revealing what the response to this is.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 3:10 am

JR8 wrote: It is going to be most revealing what the response to this is.
If you are a foreigner or PR, I guess, more trouble coming your way? "PR banned from buying HDBs". I guess this is the ultimate measure that will set in sooner or later. Also I expect some bigger headline grabbing jolt towards foreigners. Mere tightening is not going to work. Something much bigger needs to happen. FT has become such a dirty word in this country now.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 6:41 am

Wd40 wrote: FT has become such a dirty word in this country now.
Germany was the same (as YOU suggest - I have no opinion) about the Jews in the 1930s Europe.

Jews did all the work, they made all the money, they were made the scape-goat by a society who couldn't be fagged to get off their arse and work.

What is FT... define foreigner. Shouldn't SG be Malayan... but who rules it? Who is the 'foreigner'?

Take care before pointing the finger :)

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 7:20 am

WD40 , you know Sh!t about SG politics hence it is best you keep your opinion to yourself
All policies has to go thru white papers and research before it even reaches the parliament yet alone the cabinet.
From infrastructure to immigration policies are done this way.
Tweaking of the policies only can be signed off by the cabinet and PM.
Knee jerk situation came about after GE was already been made prior GE in fact three years before . The only reason it was implemented sooner rather later was due to the lost of votes in the last GE
I know coz' I worked in the ministries before
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 7:54 am

MS - you sound distinctly unhappy?
Now I'm called PNGMK

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 8:33 am

Mad Scientist wrote:WD40 , you know Sh!t about SG politics hence it is best you keep your opinion to yourself
All policies has to go thru white papers and research before it even reaches the parliament yet alone the cabinet.
From infrastructure to immigration policies are done this way.
Tweaking of the policies only can be signed off by the cabinet and PM.
Knee jerk situation came about after GE was already been made prior GE in fact three years before . The only reason it was implemented sooner rather later was due to the lost of votes in the last GE
I know coz' I worked in the ministries before
Well you are talking about the process. Did I say these changes will happen tomorrow? From what I know about Singapore, the ruling party will not sit cozy. Restricting pr from buying hdb can be easily painted with the housing prices cool down measure. This can be announced anytime. Regarding the population policy they still have 2-3 years to announce something big.

Mind you all this is what SGns want so there is nothing out of the way, about it. If they don't do something and just just sit on their past laurels, I would be surprised.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 8:35 am

JR8 wrote:
Wd40 wrote: FT has become such a dirty word in this country now.
Germany was the same (as YOU suggest - I have no opinion) about the Jews in the 1930s Europe.

Jews did all the work, they made all the money, they were made the scape-goat by a society who couldn't be fagged to get off their arse and work.

What is FT... define foreigner. Shouldn't SG be Malayan... but who rules it? Who is the 'foreigner'?

Take care before pointing the finger :)
Err.. Why are you shooting the messenger?

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 11:30 am

My simple analysis is that WP are the equivalent of a labour party in the west against the PAP Tories (Conservatives).
Now I'm called PNGMK

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 1:57 pm

Wd40 wrote: Well you are talking about the process. Did I say these changes will happen tomorrow? From what I know about Singapore, the ruling party will not sit cozy. Restricting pr from buying hdb can be easily painted with the housing prices cool down measure. This can be announced anytime. Regarding the population policy they still have 2-3 years to announce something big.

Mind you all this is what SGns want so there is nothing out of the way, about it. If they don't do something and just just sit on their past laurels, I would be surprised.
Your post prior to this seems to link this by-election will affect the immigration policy which is in fact has nothing to do with it at all . The immigration guidelines changes was already kick in way before this by election hence it is nothing new.
It has nothing to do with process as these are policies.
Social integrity, macro management of policies , racial cohesivenes among other factors will make or break the ruling gahmen.
Immigration backlash is similar to what JR8 said about the Germans did against the Jews.
Look at the demographic voters population changes of Punggol and Hougang and you will understand that this has nothing to do with immigration. It is more deep seated and the double standard being dished out if you lives in these areas.
HDB policy tinkering is nothing new and it will affect certain group one way or another.
Do I need to say more that you knew little about SG?
OSOD > distinctly unhappy ? I beg to differ.
What I do not like is for someone to think that they knew it all having live in many countries as one said.
I worked for the Gahmen for half of my life and I still cannot comprehend some of their actions. What I do know is how the Gahmen operates and it is a very well oiled machinery
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!