Singapore Expats

Punggol East By-Election

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 10:00 am

Getting a bit edgy over how people think WP is going to solve all their issues.
PAP is Singapore I hope they continue winning the General Elections...

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 11:28 am

FaeLLe wrote:Getting a bit edgy over how people think WP is going to solve all their issues.
You're an idiot.
Now I'm called PNGMK

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 12:15 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
FaeLLe wrote:Getting a bit edgy over how people think WP is going to solve all their issues.
You're an idiot.
That comment is highly value adding considering you have not provided any context.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 1:41 pm

FaeLLe wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
You're an idiot.
That comment is highly value adding considering you have not provided any context.
You're still an idiot.

You don't understand the tactical space in the local political landscape that the WP is attempting to occupy. Go troll somewhere else.
Now I'm called PNGMK

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 3:07 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
FaeLLe wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote: You're an idiot.
You're still an idiot.

You don't understand the tactical space in the local political landscape that the WP is attempting to occupy. Go troll somewhere else.
So why don't you explain it instead of just being a douche and accusing someone else of being a troll? (hah)

And while I don't support any party or have any side, I agree with Fael that it is hard to separate 'Singapore, Inc' from PAP. I personally am not even sure what WP's position is on most things except to attack the PAP position.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 3:44 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
FaeLLe wrote: That comment is highly value adding considering you have not provided any context.
You're still an idiot.

So why don't you explain it instead of just being a douche and accusing someone else of being a troll? (hah)

And while I don't support any party or have any side, I agree with Fael that it is hard to separate 'Singapore, Inc' from PAP. I personally am not even sure what WP's position is on most things except to attack the PAP position.
It's blatantly apparent - and pretty much an open position - that WP are not going to attack the PAP directly. They learnt that lesson the hard way. No deep thinking Singapore sees the WP as 'solving their issues' - what they see the WP is as a watch dog of the PAP and nascent beginning of an opposition.

FaeLLe is the sort of douche FT who votes PAP blindly to preserve his "FT privileges' and as such is despised by Sinkies and myself.
Now I'm called PNGMK

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 3:50 pm

offshoreoildude wrote: It's blatantly apparent - and pretty much an open position - that WP are not going to attack the PAP directly.
So this is what I've observed despite my apathy to these contests. What happens once they reach a critical majority (or even minority). Do they have a stance on issues? Are they public? What happens when they have to vote on an issue, make a statement, or even try to create new policy? While I'm all for socking it to the big guy I don't like I have 'wasted' my vote on both libertarian and green party (when it wasn't Nader) in the US before just to oppose the duopoly that controls the government, but at least those candidates HAD a platform (as wacky as it may be)!

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 4:11 pm

it's a no brainer - PAP has said the "goodies" will continue to flow to singaporeans, and they will look after punggol east's interests whether they win the by election or not... if i live there, i'd vote WP too.

as they've said at the press conferences, this is a by election and they're voting for an MP, not the government.

if this was the next general election and hougang + aljunied are still retained by WP + this new SMC captured by WP, i would be more worried for PAP... but it's not.

WP now has to prove itself that it can look after their wards properly for a repeat/better performance in future. but i'd be honest: i don't see PAP losing majority status in parliament for quite a long while more.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 10:46 pm

OSOD - Faelle has been a long time poster on this board. You may agree or disagree with the comments but calling someone an idiot adds nothing to the thread and only demonstrates your own lack of maturity. Knock it off. I'd expect more out of you.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 28 Jan 2013 12:03 am

zzm9980 wrote:I personally am not even sure what WP's position is on most things except to attack the PAP position.
The job of an opposition party is simply to oppose.

There should be no obligation on them to reveal a manifesto other than just before an election.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 28 Jan 2013 7:55 am

Strong Eagle wrote:OSOD - Faelle has been a long time poster on this board. You may agree or disagree with the comments but calling someone an idiot adds nothing to the thread and only demonstrates your own lack of maturity. Knock it off. I'd expect more out of you.
Anyone who posts "I hope PAP keep winning GE's" with no real supporting statement can rightly and deservedly be called a douche by someone who opposes this position IMHO.
Now I'm called PNGMK

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 28 Jan 2013 8:41 am

offshoreoildude wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:OSOD - Faelle has been a long time poster on this board. You may agree or disagree with the comments but calling someone an idiot adds nothing to the thread and only demonstrates your own lack of maturity. Knock it off. I'd expect more out of you.
Anyone who posts "I hope PAP keep winning GE's" with no real supporting statement can rightly and deservedly be called a douche by someone who opposes this position IMHO.
But he/she did supply supporting statements:
1) What I said: What is WP planning to do?
2) "PAP is Singapore", it is. Singapore's global identity has been shaped entirely by PAP. You can assume he likes and supports what that identity is.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:50 am

JR8 wrote: The job of an opposition party is simply to oppose.

Not strictly true.

Whilst the job of an opposition is to oppose policy it doesn't agree with, it should rightly be open minded enough to still support policy it does. It should also have balanced views about how to improve any such policy.

Look at the UK as a current example, with its current coalition. Whilst it doesn't work perfectly we can imagine Glegg and his merry band of flies in the Tory ointment at least have the possibility to mould some policy away from being 'stupid' to being something a bit more reasonable. Whilst I like the idea of such consensus I also have sympothy for the SG/MY/CN policy of basically the single party as long term plans can be put together and enacted. It's not like the US where government really only works on alternate 2yr cycles and, as we see, it stagnates.

The problem comes when some of those single party plans go against what is required and there is nobody there to say so, at that specific time.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 28 Jan 2013 11:42 am

zzm9980 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
2) "PAP is Singapore", it is. Singapore's global identity has been shaped entirely by PAP. You can assume he likes and supports what that identity is.
He's an FT that has most likely benefited from the PAP policies and wants them to continue for his own selfish reasons. SC's are beginning to despise these sorts. I too cannot support an FT like that.
Now I'm called PNGMK

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 28 Jan 2013 12:13 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote: Anyone who posts "I hope PAP keep winning GE's" with no real supporting statement can rightly and deservedly be called a douche by someone who opposes this position IMHO.
He's an FT that has most likely benefited from the PAP policies and wants them to continue for his own selfish reasons. SC's are beginning to despise these sorts. I too cannot support an FT like that.
We should really make an OSOD Logical Fallacy drinking game:
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Edit: Oh, someone already has:
http://brushtalk.blogspot.sg/2012/08/dr ... gical.html

You're guilty of at least #1, #2, and #4 in just your most recent quoted post above, and I didn't bother to read past #5.