Singapore Expats

PR application for spouse who's not relocating yet

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Miss Swan
Chatter
Chatter

PR application for spouse who's not relocating yet

Post by Miss Swan » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 9:20 am

Hi there, my husband's Aussie; we're still based in OZ but he loves Singapore and would like to move over at some point. I'm a citizen here so he'll be applying on spousal grounds, but I have no idea if the government allows PR applications for someone who's not in Singapore yet.

One of the main reasons I'm looking into this is because my husband isn't a degree holder. He has zero chances of coming in as a EP holder. Another factor is if we want to purchase a flat here and settle down, he has to be a PR.

My post may sound a little bizarre to many - husband applying for PR when his foot isn't in there yet, but Australia approves residency applications when the applicants aren't on shore. Singapore isn't Australia, of course, but I'm hoping for a little window of opportunity for my husband, especially when the government has to deal with a massive increase in multi-national marriages in this century.

Can someone shed some light (or thoughts) here?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 10:38 am

Saint came here under similar circumstances as well. His wife is a Citizen, he's from the US and I believe, like myself, doesn't have a uni degree either. but, he is substantially qualified in his profession and that probably had a considerable amount to do with it, but yes, he's got his PR while still in the UK.

Of course, that was well before the last GE so what will happen now is anybody's guess. I do know of another who recently got his PR approved exactly the same way. His is still not completed yet, so it's that recent. Again, he, like Saint, has pretty easy employability prospects as he is aerospace oriented. So, if your husband isn't a normal tradesman like a carpenter or plumber or mechanic, and has a skillset that should be easily transferrable to Singapore, he might have a shot at it. Too many unknowns to really hazard a guess at this point, expect for the fact that I do know it is still happening via anecdotal evidence.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Miss Swan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Miss Swan » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 10:50 am

Thanks SMS. It's definitely hard to say what's for sure. Hubby will do well in the sales, automotive or service line, albeit without the paper qualifications. He's also relatively young, 28 this year, and does not have years of work experience behind him.

I'm also mindful of how the government is clamping down on PR applications!

Fingers crossed

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 11:26 am

If on top of this rather weak points you are also newly married (within a year or two) I would not even hope for PR and doubt getting ordinary LTSVP will be easy.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 11:34 am

Salesmen are a dime a dozen and automotive service line will probably not fly at all. If he is only 28 without a consistent profession but a series of unrelated jobs, I don't see a good ending and would have to agree with x9200.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 2:23 pm

Miss Swan wrote:Thanks SMS. It's definitely hard to say what's for sure. Hubby will do well in the sales, automotive or service line, albeit without the paper qualifications. He's also relatively young, 28 this year, and does not have years of work experience behind him.

Fingers crossed
I never understand why women marry men like this. Zero prospects.
Now I'm called PNGMK

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 2:53 pm

OSOD, maybe he's hung like a burro or can lick his eyebrows? :lol:

Sorry, Miss Swan. :oops:

Which means, if you are now married, your nick no longer fits. :-)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 3:52 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
Miss Swan wrote:Thanks SMS. It's definitely hard to say what's for sure. Hubby will do well in the sales, automotive or service line, albeit without the paper qualifications. He's also relatively young, 28 this year, and does not have years of work experience behind him.

Fingers crossed
I guess some people still getting married because of some unfashioned thing called love. Frankly not sure what is better to see the coming marriage with the eyes of an accountant or have it later likely died by mundane everyday life problems.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 3:57 pm

x9200 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:

Fingers crossed
I guess some people still getting married because of some unfashioned thing called love. Frankly not sure what is better to see the coming marriage with the eyes of an accountant or have it later likely died by mundane everyday life problems.
Very rare thing for a Singaporean woman though :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 7:45 pm

Frankly, it's not as rare as you think it is. Most here just want a stable life. Not looking for a condo, Beemer or CC membership. You are only thinking of the reasonably well educated ones.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 9:14 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:

Fingers crossed

Looking at a potential husband as some kind of free ticket on the gravy-train is SO 1950s!

(Oh yes you're an Aussie, I forgot :P :twisted: )

Miss Swan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Miss Swan » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 9:15 am

x9200 wrote:If on top of this rather weak points you are also newly married (within a year or two) I would not even hope for PR and doubt getting ordinary LTSVP will be easy.
Yeah that's something to think about. I'll probably sit on this for another couple of years. PR isn't our priority right now anyway.

Yes there is something very old-fashioned and still existing called love, and not all reasonably well educated women go for men with money and power. I certainly would think I fall under this category with my university degree from an established local university and I certainly don't believe in marrying for comfort and riches (though it'd definitely be a nice bonus) 8-)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 10:25 am

Miss Swan, I understand fully where you are coming from. I didn't say ALL. I also know those at the other end of the spectrum who have been married for a long, long time.