Singapore Expats

Punggol East By-Election

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Punggol East By-Election

Post by Travailes » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 2:08 pm

Just dipping my toe in here. Are we allowed to discuss this here or there is some kind of curfew ?
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 8:51 pm

Mmm, me, personally, I'd avoid making specific comments on actual political happenings and people.

But generic whinging seems to be OK.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 11:22 pm

movingtospore wrote:Mmm, me, personally, I'd avoid making specific comments on actual political happenings and people.

Why? As long as you are not libeling anyone, have at it.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 8:36 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
movingtospore wrote:Mmm, me, personally, I'd avoid making specific comments on actual political happenings and people.

Actually I think under Singapore's election laws you best close the topic. I notice TRE has shut down as well.
Now I'm called PNGMK

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 8:43 am

offshoreoildude wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:

Actually I think under Singapore's election laws you best close the topic. I notice TRE has shut down as well.
If you are not electioneering, tossing in election advertising, or campaigning for someone, what's the issue?

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 74/1/.html

On the other hand, with Singapore's risk averse approach to everything, maybe you are right.

http://singaporepubliclaw.com/2012/05/2 ... g-off-day/

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 12:21 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: On the other hand, with Singapore's risk averse approach to everything, maybe you are right.

http://singaporepubliclaw.com/2012/05/2 ... g-off-day/
Agreed, it's a little ridiculous, between this and our topics about 377A. I can't believe we locked those topics based on some (possibly) out of context quote in a news article.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 2:22 pm

The problem is not the topic but the posts. VOTE WP please! See? Capiche?
Now I'm called PNGMK

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 4:13 pm

I was thinking comments along the lines of "I think XYZ" is a moron wouldn't go over well. :)

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 7:18 pm

movingtospore wrote:I was thinking comments along the lines of "I think XYZ" is a moron wouldn't go over well. :)
Canvassing for any party / candidate ist verbotem im der Camp.
Now I'm called PNGMK

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 10:30 pm

It looks like WP might have pulled it off with a tiny margin!
Now I'm called PNGMK

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 11:05 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:It looks like WP might have pulled it off with a tiny margin!
Surprise surprise, it's quite a big margin actually!

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 11:11 pm

Wd40 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:It looks like WP might have pulled it off with a tiny margin!
Surprise surprise, it's quite a big margin actually!
Nasty swing against the PAP.

I think the WP slogan is "Keep the bastards honest" and that tactic might just work.
Now I'm called PNGMK

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 12:11 am

Well, PAP had to expect it. Ever since the GE when the people let them know there were too many foreigners, they have continued to bring more and more in and even saying HOW MANY MORE they would need. This has pissed off a lot of locals when added to the MTR & bus woes and stagnant incomes. PAP is stuck between a rock & a hard place.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Travailes » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 12:36 am

Quite surprised at the result to be honest given the fair and balanced reporting in the media ! As an outsider looking in, with a big interest in politics, I have found the arguments and debates relatively immature (in terms of quality of debate / discussion of issues) if you know what I mean.
The coverage on Channel NewsAsia is quite frankly dreadful.

Looking ahead to the GE, is it fair to assume this is just a by-election blip and PAP will reclaim the seat ?
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sun, 27 Jan 2013 7:50 am

Travailes wrote:Quite surprised at the result to be honest given the fair and balanced reporting in the media ! As an outsider looking in, with a big interest in politics, I have found the arguments and debates relatively immature (in terms of quality of debate / discussion of issues) if you know what I mean.
The coverage on Channel NewsAsia is quite frankly dreadful.

Looking ahead to the GE, is it fair to assume this is just a by-election blip and PAP will reclaim the seat ?
I would not assume that. I think WP will be further emboldened. Perhaps SDA/RP will disappear and what WP will be is the 'watchdog of the PAP' that so many SC feel they need. WP is becoming the training ground of an opposition though. WP has found a very interesting way of being an opposition without risking (hopefully) more crippling lawsuits from LKY and the like.
Now I'm called PNGMK