Singapore Expats

Singapore & US life cost comparison

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
vink2
Regular
Regular

Singapore & US life cost comparison

Post by vink2 » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 5:07 pm

One US company propose me to move to west cost and for the same salary (after taxes). Just curios, will my life downgrade after if I decide to shift?
Looking at prices here:
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co ... ted+States

I'm okay to pay 50c more for milk here in Singapore, because I buy it only once a week. What about overall life? Will it be better for the same money?
Also US is far away from the rest of the world and they don't have Thai beaches.
What do you think?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Singapore & US life cost comparison

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 5:32 pm

vink2 wrote:One US company propose me to move to west cost and for the same salary (after taxes). Just curios, will my life downgrade after if I decide to shift?
Looking at prices here:
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co ... ted+States

I'm okay to pay 50c more for milk here in Singapore, because I buy it only once a week. What about overall life? Will it be better for the same money?
Also US is far away from the rest of the world and they don't have Thai beaches.
What do you think?
Unlike Thailand, they have their fair share of Clothing Optional Beaches. :P These are located in both southern Calif and around the San Francisco area as well. Wine country. Hollywood, Disney Land, Mexico, Surfing. Reno & Las Vegas with no $100 entry charges. Much better quality of life, if you ask me.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 5:38 pm

I also regularly receive something from US - there are more IT positions open than in all other countries together (at least I have such impression). Reasons I do not want:
1) taxes,
2) got used to live here (lazy to move out and start all over),
3) have a local gf here (psychological escape from other people, including some non-friendly locals),
4) still receive good salary and see no problems in growing it in the near future.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 7:10 pm

I'd chirp in but haven't been there in too long a time to really say.

But as I've been looking on the West Coast and Texas, hope to see more feedback here.

I think the quality of life there is better. Of course it depends on where 'there' is.

But then there is the crime, which if you've been living here for long, would take some ramping up to get used to, so as not to become a victim. My NY edge is pretty much gone (it comes back quickly though) and with it, my peripheral vision, which is key. If you've never had that you'd need to develop that 6th sense.

Smog and traffic are deterrents, but lower cost of living, variety, better quality of life, more freedom of choice and less restrictions overall may be worth it.

I think of this stuff often but don't have a clear enough picture myself, as I'm not from either of those places.

freeman.vu
Regular
Regular

Post by freeman.vu » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 7:21 pm

May I extend the thread to be about job search process between US and Sing?
Particularly, what is the best time of year to start a job search? are head hunters there more helpful than Singapore? (my personal experience here is they are not), what do you guys comment on chance for a junior guys with few years experience in IT/Finance industry to secure a job there?

Thanks

vink2
Regular
Regular

Post by vink2 » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 7:46 pm

freeman.vu wrote:May I extend the thread to be about job search process between US and Sing?
Particularly, what is the best time of year to start a job search? are head hunters there more helpful than Singapore? (my personal experience here is they are not), what do you guys comment on chance for a junior guys with few years experience in IT/Finance industry to secure a job there?

Thanks
If you are not from US or AU, for IT you need H1b visa sponsorship. Google for it.
This year the process starts from March. So, you need to find h1b sponsor before march. After approval, you will be able to move and work on October.
the process is very complicated, especially because they have h1b limits, your h1b may not be approved and you may move to US only once a year, unless you work for US company and you have internal L1-transfer.
To find a job, use dice.com, monster.com
Last edited by vink2 on Fri, 25 Jan 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vink2
Regular
Regular

Post by vink2 » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 7:48 pm

Sergei82 wrote:I also regularly receive something from US - there are more IT positions open than in all other countries together (at least I have such impression). Reasons I do not want:
1) taxes,
3) have a local gf here (psychological escape from other people, including some non-friendly locals),
4) still receive good salary and see no problems in growing it in the near future.
you probably do not have family yet.

vink2
Regular
Regular

Post by vink2 » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 7:58 pm

Sergei82 wrote:I also regularly receive something from US - there are more IT positions open than in all other countries together (at least I have such impression). Reasons I do not want:
1) taxes,
yeap, and here in Singapore job is under high risk. Try to loose a job and try to find a new one - may be a challenge.

vink2
Regular
Regular

Post by vink2 » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 8:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Unlike Thailand, they have their fair share of Clothing Optional Beaches. :P These are located in both southern Calif and around the San Francisco area as well. Wine country. Hollywood, Disney Land, Mexico, Surfing. Reno & Las Vegas with no $100 entry charges. Much better quality of life, if you ask me.
Not sure about these pluses.
Here in Singapore you may travel very cheap 60$ to Cambodia/Thailand/Vietnam etc. From US, I believe, it is hard to travel.

freeman.vu
Regular
Regular

Post by freeman.vu » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 8:45 pm

vink2 wrote:
freeman.vu wrote:May I extend the thread to be about job search process between US and Sing?

Thanks
If you are not from US or AU, for IT you need H1b visa sponsorship. Google for it.
This year the process starts from March. So, you need to find h1b sponsor before march. After approval, you will be able to move and work on October.
the process is very complicated, especially because they have h1b limits, your h1b may not be approved and you may move to US only once a year, unless you work for US company and you have internal L1-transfer.
To find a job, use dice.com, monster.com
Thanks vink2, that bit of information is helpful

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 10:36 pm

vink2 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: Unlike Thailand, they have their fair share of Clothing Optional Beaches. :P These are located in both southern Calif and around the San Francisco area as well. Wine country. Hollywood, Disney Land, Mexico, Surfing. Reno & Las Vegas with no $100 entry charges. Much better quality of life, if you ask me.
Here in Singapore you may travel very cheap 60$ to Cambodia/Thailand/Vietnam etc. From US, I believe, it is hard to travel.
Get in your car and drive a couple hundred clicks and you will feel you are in a different land. Only you don't have to change currency or cross immigration. It's CHEAP to travel there.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 10:47 pm

To those who asked: no, I don't have a family, and I have 35 more years to retirement age. For me US doesn't look as attractive anymore as it was 10 years ago. I would rather choose Australia. But I understand that a lot of posters in this thread were born in US, so it is more dear to their hearts.
Maybe quality of life is better there, but not enough to make me experience that HUGE pain in my ass relocating there.
For those who think my nationality is not welcomed in US, I should say: it goes better than, for example, India. But for those older than me who still have USSR passport there may be additional troubles, although quite trivial.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 10:48 pm

To those who asked: no, I don't have a family, and I have 35 more years to retirement age. For me US doesn't look as attractive anymore as it was 10 years ago. I would rather choose Australia. But I understand that a lot of posters in this thread were born in US, so it is more dear to their hearts.
Maybe quality of life is better there, but not enough to make me experience that HUGE pain in my ass relocating there.
For those who think my nationality is not welcomed in US, I should say: it goes better than, for example, India. But for those older than me who still have USSR passport there may be additional troubles, although quite trivial.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 10:51 pm

Sorry, I will not reply from my phone anymore. :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Jan 2013 6:58 am

vink2 wrote:
Well, look at it another way, with the exception of Mexico (you can find Mexico, for all intents & purposes in South San Diego) you can travel 5,500 km to get from east to west coast, almost every major city like San Francisco or New York has ethnic enclaves within the cities and you can travel by car for 5 days going east to west or the reverse without the need for a passport. Actually, have car, can travel. And cars are much, much cheaper there. You want a boat, also cheaper. Can drag it on a trailer behind the car and go where you want. The US is so large and varied, that is the reason more than half of US citizen do not even own a passport. Most never fully get to explore their own country. But, each to their own I reckon.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers