Singapore Expats

Gearhead expats?

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
usabruce

Gearhead expats?

Post by usabruce » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 1:19 pm

Any other mechanics here? Former wingnut / engineer, new to SG. I'm having a hard time locating good suppliers. It seems I a find a lot of very small, specialized shops- not very good quality or selection.

Can anybody help with leads for any of the following?

* Diesel engine machine shop (heads and boring)

* Machine shop with dynamic balancing equipment

* Good general parts supply house (lubricants coolants, sealants etc)

* Hand and power tools- where to find higher end stuff?

* Machinist supplies

* Welding supplies- TIG parts, gasses, grinding stones etc

Cheers
Bruce

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 4:28 pm

I'd talk to Alex Ng at Summit Marine and go by JJ's at 602 Serangoon Road (bike customizer who seems to know where to get stuff done). This type of thing is getting much harder in Singapore.
Now I'm called PNGMK

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 4:43 pm

I was told you dont find this stuff because the sgers are not allowed to tinker with their cars, all vehicle components suspension, tires etc has to fitted by a licensed dealer?

I rebuilt a 240z engine in my living room in the UK, would love to build a yanky V8, but looks like getting the tools and parts would be very difficult on these shores.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 4:56 pm

QRM wrote:I was told you dont find this stuff because the sgers are not allowed to tinker with their cars, all vehicle components suspension, tires etc has to fitted by a licensed dealer?

I rebuilt a 240z engine in my living room in the UK, would love to build a yanky V8, but looks like getting the tools and parts would be very difficult on these shores.
Partly true. There's a lot of modications and workshops in JB.
Now I'm called PNGMK

usabruce

Post by usabruce » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 8:51 pm

offshoreoildude- Thanks, I will give Alex a try.

QRM- let me know if you decide to build up a v8. I have done a lot of Mopar and Ford builds. Happy to provide contacts for parts. I have not yet tried shipping on parts, but I think it would not be too pricey. Very low import duty here.

I did have some aftermarket parts sent from China. Amazingly cheap and hassle free with Fedex. 2 days to the front door.

I thought about going across the causeway to get things done. Hmm more issues there.

Bruce

usabruce

Post by usabruce » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 9:10 pm

I hope this appropriate here. Not advertising for anybody, just offering some Singapore sources I have found to be honest, fair, and good in communicating with foreigners.

SLM Auto Parts- on King Georges ave.- Steering hoses other hydraulic tubes, exhaust tubes- custom made.

Soon Hock Auto Spares- Fuel injectors and pump parts. Very hard to find a store that stocks these things.

Autodiesel and Fuel Systems Ltd.- Fuel pumps rebuilt. Injectors.

Aerodynamic Metals- wide selection of aluminum and stainless materials. Easy to communicate with.

Bruce

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 9:43 pm

usabruce wrote:I hope this appropriate here. Not advertising for anybody, just offering some Singapore sources I have found to be honest, fair, and good in communicating with foreigners.

SLM Auto Parts- on King Georges ave.- Steering hoses other hydraulic tubes, exhaust tubes- custom made.

Soon Hock Auto Spares- Fuel injectors and pump parts. Very hard to find a store that stocks these things.

Autodiesel and Fuel Systems Ltd.- Fuel pumps rebuilt. Injectors.

Aerodynamic Metals- wide selection of aluminum and stainless materials. Easy to communicate with.

Bruce
all good. Homely Hardware is a reasonable tool/hardware outlet BTW.

Serangoon Road (400 upwards) has a range of auto stores as well. Some are stockists, some aren't.
Now I'm called PNGMK

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 11:33 pm

OSOD, yep, you are right. I completely rebuilt my 66 Mini Cooper from some of those shops. Rebuilt the engine/transmission unit in the maids room and rebuilt the body, suspension and all the rest in a shed I constructed at the back of my Black & White in Seletar. (I also painted it there as well as repainting my old Cortina).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 24 Jan 2013 12:32 pm

OP -there are wrecking yards = car and truck scrap yards around. They are mainly oriented towards exporters sending parts to West Africa etc but will sell to you although you need asian skin to get best price.
Now I'm called PNGMK

pupjoint

Post by pupjoint » Fri, 15 Mar 2013 6:34 pm

any idea where are these scrap yards located? i am a car dude too, though not a local but i do have asian skin.

usabruce

Post by usabruce » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:30 pm

Wrecking yards? There is actually very little of what we would call a wrecking yard as a Westerner. The scrap parts dealers all mostly import pulled motors and parts from Japan. They get container loads of this stuff, sort and sell in big old buildings. The classic wrecking yard, with chasis picked over is not practical here due to space constraints. You will find next to none of this.

2 main big areas:

Woodlands Industrial Estates- maybe a dozen small yards, on a 5 block area.

Kranji Industrial- similar quantity and layout.

Also see Defu Lane area. Smaller area, but some ok sources.

Some are ok to do business with. Overall, expect rude short answers, and zero referrals to other sources regardless of your "skin". If you have been involved in the heavy trades in SG you know what I mean.

Have fun, and let me know how it goes.

pupjoint

Post by pupjoint » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 9:50 pm

cool man....thanks. give me some time to look around.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 8:00 am

usabruce wrote:Wrecking yards? There is actually very little of what we would call a wrecking yard as a Westerner. The scrap parts dealers all mostly import pulled motors and parts from Japan. They get container loads of this stuff, sort and sell in big old buildings. The classic wrecking yard, with chasis picked over is not practical here due to space constraints. You will find next to none of this.

2 main big areas:

Woodlands Industrial Estates- maybe a dozen small yards, on a 5 block area.

Kranji Industrial- similar quantity and layout.

Also see Defu Lane area. Smaller area, but some ok sources.

Some are ok to do business with. Overall, expect rude short answers, and zero referrals to other sources regardless of your "skin". If you have been involved in the heavy trades in SG you know what I mean.

Have fun, and let me know how it goes.
You have that slightly wrong - they don't import the part cars/trucks... those are from old COE scrap vehicles which are cut in half and often sold that way (for export to Nigeria etc).
Now I'm called PNGMK

watching_a_sunset
Regular
Regular

Post by watching_a_sunset » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 7:32 am

there are plenty of wrecking yards around ! you might wanna try Neo Tiew Road ! got some Headers / blocks / exhaust / injectors when i doing some modification to the Lexus IS250 =) Currently lookin for a new ride =P

usabruce

Post by usabruce » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 10:11 am

More resources for Gearheads

Sin Yeh Metals on King Georges Ave has lots of stainless shapes, plate and sheet stock. Both type 304 and 316. Good inventory, especially the heavier sections. They will cut some.

Prices seem a bit higher than Aerodynamic Metals, but very friendly for the small quantity buyer.