Singapore Expats

How do I stop becoming a cranky old grouch of an old man?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 07 Oct 2012 8:24 pm

movingtospore wrote: I would love to be able to flee the place 4x year but that's just not possible - so, try to take a deep breath and make the best of it.
SCUBA diving, like fleeing the world, if only temporarily.

:)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 07 Oct 2012 8:51 pm

Yep. That's why I did it for a living for close to 20 years and 40 years of SCUBA. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Edroche
Regular
Regular

Re: How do I stop becoming a cranky old grouch of an old man

Post by Edroche » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 3:52 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:I'm only 47. But I can quite easily see myself becoming the grouch of the neighborhood or condo., if I aren't already. I suspect, it's due to the inevitable decline in testosterone, coupled with a growing sense of mortality, alongside the few disappointments life has brought (a bitter divorce that makes it hard to see my son as much as I'd like). I'm somewhat spiritual (a BAC), I try to exercise, I have a good job (too much travel though) and we are not at all strained financially.

Firstly - why resist becoming the old grouch? It seems a time honored tradition for western men at least. Would I rather be the eastern Guru mystic in my old age?

Any ideas? Any other men struggling with this? I KNOW my mid life crisis is over - that resulted in massive affair, a new sports car etc... so I need not worry about that. But what about the next 30 to 40 years? Is it just grouch-ville from now on?
Check out some Louis C.K. Youtube him, he is hilarious.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 10 Jan 2013 12:20 pm

I'm 33 I've told myself that when I'm 65 I hope I don't turn into an old grumpy man, I hope to do this in the following way.
I promise to give up smoking now so that when I turn 65 I can switch to smoking recreational marijuana while listening to some classic rock while lying semi naked on a hot beach somewhere.

Life is too short to take things seriously. Live it to the fullest.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 10 Jan 2013 3:03 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:I'm 33 I've told myself that when I'm 65 I hope I don't turn into an old grumpy man, I hope to do this in the following way.
I promise to give up smoking now so that when I turn 65 I can switch to smoking recreational marijuana while listening to some classic rock while lying semi naked on a hot beach somewhere.

Buy a motorbike and hang out at JJ's with me... (602 Serangoon Road).
Now I'm called PNGMK

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 10 Jan 2013 3:19 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:I'm 33 I've told myself that when I'm 65 I hope I don't turn into an old grumpy man, I hope to do this in the following way.

as soon as I can afford it i will, :cool: :cool: I live around there btw

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Thu, 10 Jan 2013 3:26 pm

[/quote]

Tho' I am not that old (yet) I also find myself turning into someone I often don't like since I moved here. It's true - the constant daily battles just to get stuff done in SP startsto shape how you interact with the world. And not in a good way. I am trying to seek out people, places and things that I actually like in SP. It's not easy, but it helps. I would love to be able to flee the place 4x year but that's just not possible - so, try to take a deep breath and make the best of it.[/quote]

aiyoo we have the same problem lah. ](*,)

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 10 Jan 2013 3:29 pm

Get married to someone 20+ years younger than you and have a baby.

Worked for me.

I was heading fast down the grouchy old man route before that.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 10 Jan 2013 4:23 pm

Steve1960 wrote:Get married to someone 20+ years younger than you and have a baby.

Worked for me.

I was heading fast down the grouchy old man route before that.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 22 Jan 2013 4:27 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:

you promise not to electrocute me right? :lol:

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Tue, 22 Jan 2013 7:20 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:

you promise not to electrocute me right? :lol:
We'll use you as a tester (of sparkplugs).
Now I'm called PNGMK

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 3:37 am

OSOD, I watched this movie yesterday night, with English subtitles. It is about this guy whose job is to prepare the deceased for burial. It kinda helps put life in perspective.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1069238/

I was around 8 yo when I witnessed my grandma's cremation. When I saw her casket sliding into the oven, I realized this was it. It is final. There is absolutely nothing we can do to bring her back. The finality of it all. And all other life events pale in comparison. Everything else seem so transient, fixable, non-final and even non-significant.

I went thru depression when we moved 1.5 year ago. I was in the pit and thought it would never go away. Slowly but surely I worked my way out. What doesn't break you will make you stronger. The bad feelings did not last. And soon, the sun starts to shine on my patch again. I was happier and calmer. But then, that did not last either. And it was replaced by emotions of exuberance and jitters. That too didn't last and nowadays, I am feeling more at peace. Ok, ok, what I am trying to say is our emotions are transient and it will soon pass, even though it can feel very real at the moment when we are experiencing it.

I also started meditation. I suck at it. It is very hard to quiet and calm the mind. But whatever little bit I can do, it helps.

Happy experiences bring delight to our lives. Painful experiences make us grow. We need both :wink: .

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 4:40 am

Welcome to fruit-loop corner!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIbpt1aDFqM
Teenage Heroin Epidemic

Should have watched it all... but could only deal with the piteous destitution of the first 20mins.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 9:21 am

I'm not depressed. Just a grouch. Although there are grouchier ones than me on our condo MC!

I've recently read Eben Alexanders book "Proof of Heaven" - it's profound and very reassuring. I'd recommend it for anyone of any religion.

Linky here

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2 ... rlife.html
Now I'm called PNGMK

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Fri, 25 Jan 2013 10:27 am

There's been a fair amount of controversy about that book from the religious and secular sides.

I considered reading it, and still may, but like many new things (like The Secret, at the time it came out) I wait for the hype to wash over.

Instead last weekend I choose Shatner's newest book, which like most of his stuff, always puts me in a good mood. That, and Kevin Sorbo's True Strength.

Oh and like OSOD, I'm a bit of a grouch too and not depressed.