Singapore Expats

Citizenship Chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
tabiul

Citizenship Chances

Post by tabiul » Tue, 22 Jan 2013 11:56 am

Hi,

I am wondering about my chances of citizenship. Little bit of background about myself

I have being in Singapore since secondary school. I have been working for 10 years or so. I applied for citizenship on 2010 and was rejected with the reason my salary seems not high enough. I got married on 2011 and now I want to apply for citizenship together with my wife. My wife is not working, she is on LTVP. My salary is around 5k+. By the way I am indian which I guess matters :).

So what do you think of my chances?

Thanks

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 22 Jan 2013 12:08 pm

Did they actually provide that reason when you were rejected?

tabiul

Post by tabiul » Tue, 22 Jan 2013 1:23 pm

Yes, I visited the officer once it was rejected. She did not specifically say that but she did say maybe you can apply once your salary is better.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Jan 2013 1:32 pm

Then she didn't tell you jack. :roll:

It could have meant you were rejected by your ethnicity. One parameter seems to impact all the other parameters. That is why it is so hard trying to figure out what/why people are getting in or not getting in.

She said maybe you can try when you have a higher salary? That may well mean that because you are an Indian, you will need a much higher income level than, say a Malaysian Chinese who has been here the same length of time and so forth.

They will NEVER tell you the exact reason why you have been rejected. I don't know why people cannot get their heads around this fact.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tabiul

Post by tabiul » Tue, 22 Jan 2013 1:40 pm

Yep, you are right. It most probably that. Maybe she must used the salary as a cover for the real reason. Anyway, I just shared what she said. I myself doubt that is the real reason anyway as I saw people with lower salary get it.

habeebhashim

Post by habeebhashim » Tue, 22 Jan 2013 4:42 pm

-HH-
Last edited by habeebhashim on Tue, 05 Jan 2016 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Re: Citizenship Chances

Post by offshoreoildude » Tue, 22 Jan 2013 8:12 pm

tabiul wrote:Hi,

I am wondering about my chances of citizenship. Little bit of background about myself

I have being in Singapore since secondary school. I have been working for 10 years or so. I applied for citizenship on 2010 and was rejected with the reason my salary seems not high enough. I got married on 2011 and now I want to apply for citizenship together with my wife. My wife is not working, she is on LTVP. My salary is around 5k+. By the way I am indian which I guess matters :).

Thanks
I just don't think it's going to happen unless they decided they want 500,000 Indians to fill the gap between the current and project popultion level.
Now I'm called PNGMK

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Tue, 22 Jan 2013 10:18 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
I just don't think it's going to happen unless they decided they want 500,000 Indians to fill the gap between the current and project popultion level.
How bout 300k PRC (and chinese from all over but ML) and 200k Indian?

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 22 Jan 2013 10:56 pm

Thanks
You are working here for 10 years and your salary is only 5k. Your wife is LTVP so I would imagine you are still renting a house? I understand you are here from secondary school and thats really long and you have very strong ties here. But I think you are screwing your career and your life by continuing here.

Although I dont know what field of work you are in, but you should consider moving to India and you will have a much better career prospects there or move to another developed country. The salaries here are depressing and will continue to be so. The cost of living is going to keep going up and the longer you stick on the more pain its going to be.

Good Luck!

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Tue, 22 Jan 2013 10:57 pm

vishalgupta2 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
How bout 300k PRC (and chinese from all over but ML) and 200k Indian?
How about 500k Chinks of any nationality? Ethnic Chinese VN anyone? Ethnic Chinese Flips?
Now I'm called PNGMK

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 9:17 am

Thanks
I'm assuming you are PR?? If so for how long?

Your wife will not be able to jump from a LTVP to Citizen

tabiul

Post by tabiul » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 12:30 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments and feedback. I just want to update you all on what happened as I went to apply for citizenship today. The counter officer told me the same reason as my last application that my salary is too low thus chances of approval are slim. He asked me whether I want to proceed or not. I decided not to as there is no point. This I guess would be my last application as I doubt my salary can go more than 10k within the next 5 year or so :).

I wanted to make Singapore my permanent home as I have been here for so long but alas it is not meant to be. I have to make alternate plan now.

Thanks

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 12:32 pm

tabiul wrote:Hi all,

Thanks for your comments and feedback. I just want to update you all on what happened as I went to apply for citizenship today. The counter officer told me the same reason as my last application that my salary is too low thus chances of approval are slim. He asked me whether I want to proceed or not. I decided not to as there is no point. This I guess would be my last application as I doubt my salary can go more than 10k within the next 5 year or so :).

I wanted to make Singapore my permanent home as I have been here for so long but alas it is not meant to be. I have to make alternate plan now.

Thanks
Sorry to hear that. I would suggest you work on increasing your income - that will lead you to where you need to go next.
Now I'm called PNGMK

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 1:02 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:

Thanks
Sorry to hear that. I would suggest you work on increasing your income - that will lead you to where you need to go next.
Income or salary is never the cause its an effect. You must understand that income depends on demand and supply and I wouldnt base the value of a person on how much he earns. It's the role and occupation that the person performs is important.

In this country 5k is a decent salary if you are a citizen and have your own house etc so if someone tells you that 5k is not enough for getting citizenship then it's a shame and slap on the face for all citizens living here.

Now when you are a foreigner you will struggle with salary, even if you are a pr you will struggle even more as your cash low is lesser due to cpf contribution. Hence my advice to the op to get out of this place for his own good.

gippy

Post by gippy » Wed, 23 Jan 2013 2:09 pm

Wd40 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:

Thanks
Income or salary is never the cause its an effect. You must understand that income depends on demand and supply and I wouldnt base the value of a person on how much he earns. It's the role and occupation that the person performs is important.

In this country 5k is a decent salary if you are a citizen and have your own house etc so if someone tells you that 5k is not enough for getting citizenship then it's a shame and slap on the face for all citizens living here.

Now when you are a foreigner you will struggle with salary, even if you are a pr you will struggle even more as your cash low is lesser due to cpf contribution. Hence my advice to the op to get out of this place for his own good.
Agree with you, as foreigner 5K salary is just so so and no saving, but as citizen that's more than enough and some can saving a bit. As for now we dunno what parameters become citizen. But I believe more on nationality, race, salary (required to meet minimum threshold to survive) and quota for nationality/race.

So TS, do you still apply citizenship today?