Singapore Expats

happy ending

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
billyboy55

happy ending

Post by billyboy55 » Mon, 21 Jan 2013 9:46 am

I am an American who met a filipino helper while visiting a relative in Singapore. i want to marry her and move her to the US what is the best way to get this accomplished.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: happy ending

Post by the lynx » Mon, 21 Jan 2013 9:56 am

billyboy55 wrote:I am an American who met a filipino helper while visiting a relative in Singapore. i want to marry her and move her to the US what is the best way to get this accomplished.
Erm... I think this question is best answered in USA (and Philippines) message board because it involves USA (and Philippines) immigration laws.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 21 Jan 2013 9:59 am

Well firstly don't. Stick to flying out here for a fling. Failing that read Somerset Maugham s short story about screwing the domestic help in Singapore (I've tried to find a link but can't).

But if you insist you need to apply for a spousal / fiance visa through the US embassy in the Philippines. I don't believe you can do it through the US embassy in Singapore. Essentially a foreign national wishing to migrate to the USA needs to do it from their home country and the queues outside the US embassy are unbelievably long.

It is a LONG and TEDIOUS process. Especially for PI citizens.

There are some good immigration lawyers around the PI who are familiar with the process. I can recommend one if you PM me,

Do not assume the USA will be keen or helpful in this. In my experience the US is reluctant to allow more foreigners in - particularly via the marriage route (I'm an Aussie married to a TX gal).
Now I'm called PNGMK

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 21 Jan 2013 1:08 pm

Not sure if OP is a troll, or just naive..

Anyway very briefly:

Decide if you're going to marry her first, or in the US. That will determine if you get a spousal or fiance visa (IR or K). There are pros and cons of both, do your homework.

If your maid has lived in Singapore for at least six months (and can document that with an IC/work permit), then the US Embassy here will consider her a resident of Singapore and you will be able to partake of their services. This is a good thing, as they are immensely less strict here than any third-world embassy. That said, you still need to demonstrate a real relationship. (If you go the K visa route, you start this process in the US).

Easiest way? If you make good money, can demonstrate that and convince them you have a valid relationship, get her a tourist visa to the US. Once you're there, get married and apply for an adjustment of her status. Technically this is legal, thanks to convoluted US laws filled with loopholes.

proxymoron
Regular
Regular

Post by proxymoron » Mon, 21 Jan 2013 3:32 pm

Agree with zzm9980... May be you should pay a visit to Philippines.

Being a maid here, it would be difficult for her to get married in Singapore, without troubling her employers. Also it would be difficult bring her in US without getting married. So the easiest option in my opinion should be getting married in Philippines.

Also it will help you realise whether the whole marriage decision was made on the heat of the "moment". If you know what I mean.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 21 Jan 2013 5:16 pm

One more thing to add, if you're really serious and this isn't a troll, go do research at visajourney.com's forums. If you stay here much longer, we're going to start cracking Lucky Plaza / OT jokes.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 21 Jan 2013 5:47 pm

Look up cliché in the dictionary and I'm sure you'll find reference to it.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Jan 2013 6:10 pm

:cool:

I've still not figured out which is more "loaded", a nick of Foxy8Roxy or an thread entitled "happy endings" and having to do with east-west couplings......

:-k :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 21 Jan 2013 8:07 pm

^ was thinking same same!

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 24 Jan 2013 10:04 am

My American co-worker in similar situation bought a house in Philippines for her, moving/rotating periodically between SG, PI and US. As I understand (didn't ask him), she has no US citizenship. But so far they're fine, even have a child.
Definitely, for you moving to PI is easier than for her moving to US.