Singapore Expats

Furniture

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
akay

Furniture

Post by akay » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 5:29 am

Hi - I've found an apartment I like I like but it's unfurnished. As I do not envisage staying in Singapore forever (at the moment), I'm reluctant to invest a lot in furniture. If I do buy, what are the lead times like as the UK is horrific at times. Any advise welcomed.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 5:41 am

IKEA is your friend!

The only thing that might have a lead-time is a sofa, but even then they have some lines they keep in stock.

p.s. Also check out Courts.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 11:22 am

CB2 and Cartel & Barrel are supposed to be opened last year. I have been surfing around but can't seems to find a date on when they are opening. Their signboard only states "Opening Soon".

Anyone have any idea?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 1:00 pm

JR8 wrote:IKEA is your friend!

The only thing that might have a lead-time is a sofa, but even then they have some lines they keep in stock.

p.s. Also check out Courts.
IKEA is indeed cheap--by the time your lease is over, your chipboard furniture is breaking down already. Sometimes, though, you get good, durable buys.

We went with IKEA when we moved into a place and weighed adding rent for furnishings vs buying everything, for the duration of the lease.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 6:22 pm

Girl_Next_Door wrote:CB2 and Cartel & Barrel are supposed to be opened last year. I have been surfing around but can't seems to find a date on when they are opening. Their signboard only states "Opening Soon".

Anyone have any idea?
Crate and Barrel perhaps? :)

Casca01

Post by Casca01 » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 7:19 pm

You might also just want to speak to the landlord, perhaps he / she is willing to bring in some furniture for you (at a raised rental cost typically). Or did they refuse this already? Otherwise would agree on Ikea for the quickest route.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 8:01 pm

Be careful what you wish for

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 9:03 pm

Salvation Army Thrift Store!

akay

Post by akay » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 11:02 pm

Thanks everyone.

... and thank god for Ikea!

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Furniture

Post by taxico » Wed, 16 Jan 2013 12:19 am

akay wrote:...Any advise welcomed.
if my life was anything you want to mirror:

you need 1 deck chair, 1 fridge (second most expensive item if it doesn't come with) big enough to contain a good quantity of frozen dinners and beers, 1 kettle, a good can opener, lots of disposable plates, forks, spoons and big and heftys, and 1 quality mattress (this should be your most expensive item).

you can take your time looking for a bed frame and a mirror. nice ones come around from time to time.

you might want to invest in a lot of 3M command hooks and clothes hanger.

for work (if you want to do that) you need a small table. use it with your deck chair, which is also used for kicking back when using your electronics.

electronics: microwave (it should come with the place), tv, tv subscription, dvd player, other leisure devices (amp/receiver, speakers, xbox, ps3, etc), and an alarm clock with giant snooze button.

i assume the landlord has at least provided a washer and dryer? that's 1k (1099 was what i paid last week for a standalone indesit washer and dryer for my tenant) or cheaper if you go for a two-in-one (doesn't dry as well).

i lived like that for quite some time before i got domesticated by my wife... not a lot of furniture at all, although the deck chair eventually morphed into a recliner + ottoman coz i like listening to music in that position.

my guests also found it nice to have a deck chair to sit on when they came over... quite infrequently.