Singapore Expats

Christian Prayer / Bible Study Corner

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:39 am

x9200, if it helps you, then that's fine. I don't have any problems with it my way. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Fri, 11 Jan 2013 1:00 am

Never saw that Jefferson entry, thanks for that Nak, I will read it tomorrow.

In the meantime, on my way to bed this thread popped into my head, and it made me think of this:

As the sun rises in the east
As the wind blows the fog across the sea
As the hand of Man creeps across the face of the world
Caught in a web of glamours
Persian perfume and oriental eyes
Yogi in knots and Sufi wise
Master sublime and swami high
Through in some Voodoo on the side
And a dash of the old Kung Fu

Lord you got me strung out on eastern intrigue

Chapter six and verse eleven
If you wanna get to heaven
You've got to ask the Man who owns the property

Ya gotta dance your dance
And do your act
And get His Big Attention that's a natural born fact
I'm on my knees, one question please
Will the real God please stand up?

Jesus and Moses, Mohammed, and Sri Krishna
Steiner, Gurdjief, Blavatsky, and Bhudda
Guru Maharaji, Reverend Sun Myung Moon

On the banks of the Holy Nile
As the palm tree sways at the base of the Sphinx
'Neath a crescent desert moon many thousands
younger than ours

In fact, forget about time completely
Think of it in the abstract please
Think of the swaying tropic trees
One of your many destinies
Like having a hot peyote tea
In the palace of Fu Manchu

Lord you got me strung out on eastern intrigue

Sell your wife and pawn your heater
Buy the new Bhagavad Gita
Do the pranayama 'til your spine gets sore

I'll tell you for free
'Cause God told me
We checked it with the Pope and so we all agree
I'm on my knees, one question please
Will the real God please sit down?

But it's better to actually hear it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYqgqKHV8wo

_

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Fri, 11 Jan 2013 1:14 am

Sorry OSOD if any of this has derailed the intentions of your thread, I think there are many avenues it can take

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Fri, 11 Jan 2013 1:10 pm

x9200 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I just follow my own drummer & morals. Being Agnostic has held me in good stead since 1960 when I left the church. :-|

Religion? Yeah, it's a good thing if it make you a better person. That's not because of the flavour of the religion but the teaching of moral and subsequent following of them. I agree, Faith - regardless of the form it takes - is good. Organized Religion is not.
I think we had this discussion during the last Eagles gathering and also from the above... Agnosticism does not define whether you have faith or not. It only says there is no way we can determine there is God or not. I guess you can also be religious agnostic. Both atheists and theists could be agnostic. Probably a better term to describe a person who have a faith but does not want to be associated with any religion would be irreligious theist. Hope this helps :cool:
Yet, to some extent, for whatever reasons, some people won't stop "connecting" this with that. Like recently, at Jakarta, I see a book "Was Jesus a Muslim?" [Googe has it]

Probably, being an agnostic is like "walking in the middle". But I like the way it goes :mrgreen:
"Budget Expat"

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 11 Jan 2013 1:13 pm

v4jr4 wrote: Yet, to some extent, for whatever reasons, some people won't stop "connecting" this with that. Like recently, at Jakarta, I see a book "Was Jesus a Muslim?" [Googe has it]
Some people just don't know history, do they?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Fri, 11 Jan 2013 1:18 pm

nakatago wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:Yet, to some extent, for whatever reasons, some people won't stop "connecting" this with that. Like recently, at Jakarta, I see a book "Was Jesus a Muslim?" [Googe has it]
Some people just don't know history, do they?
They just won't stop debunking each other. "Almost-compatible-ology" is on the loose.
"Budget Expat"

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Fri, 11 Jan 2013 2:44 pm

Brah wrote:Sorry OSOD if any of this has derailed the intentions of your thread, I think there are many avenues it can take
No it's cool man, I have not the time yet but I plan to provide an overview of another chapter of CS Lewis WCB.
Now I'm called PNGMK

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 8:35 am

Easter is coming. A special time of the year for Christians. It's actually far more meaningful than Christ's birthday to us.

A few years back I was reading my son the story of Christ's crucifixion (state execution) to him. I was looking at him, lying in bed - too young to have learnt to sin when it struck me that this was the exact state of sin that Jesus Christ was in. He was as innocent as a child. No stains, no ugliness, no evil. And we chose to execute what we believe to be the Son of God. The awfulness of that act is appalling.

The parallel killed me right there. I was in tears and am even now. If there is a single message for me to give you this Easter it is to understand the awfulness of us turning away from God and the huge gift that Christ brought to us from God and the level of sacrifice he made for us and how any of us, any time can accept this goft by simply saying "I accept that you Jesus are my saviour and I invite you into my life".

Easter Sunday is the day we celebrate Christ's resurrection (i.e. return from the dead). To us, Christ lives.

John 11:25-26

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.â€Â
Now I'm called PNGMK

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Christian Prayer / Bible Study Corner

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 10 Feb 2016 9:27 am

Easter will be with us soon. Many of us have moved on out of Singapore, lost jobs or deals, had some trials or won some fights. The economy is teetering on the brink of another collapse it seems and when I first wrote these posts the awfulness of Daesh had not entered into our world. The underlined verse I've always found to be profound and verse 34 of course summarized what Christ so often said: 'do not fear'.

A verse I was thinking about this morning relates to this. Matthew 6:25 to 34....

25“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? 28 And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, 29 yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

34 “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 10 Feb 2016 9:50 am

As this thread has popped to the top ....

Would a practising Christian be set to burn in hell should they go to the temple during the CNY period and burn some josticks?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 10 Feb 2016 9:52 am

Barnsley wrote:As this thread has popped to the top ....

Would a practising Christian be set to burn in hell should they go to the temple during the CNY period and burn some josticks?
No. Although idolatry ("no other god before me") is a sin, it's a sin that can be confessed and cleansed like all others.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 10 Feb 2016 9:54 am

PNGMK wrote:

No. Although idolatry ("no other god before me") is a sin, it's a sin that can be confessed and cleansed like all others.
Do all christians confess sins?

Do evangelicals practise this?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 10 Feb 2016 10:02 am

Barnsley wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

Yes, to Christ and on occasion they seek repentance (forgiveness) from the person they have transgressed against. I'm not sure, I know Methodists, Baptists and Presbyterians do but I can't speak for the minor Protestant groups. This is perhaps different to a Catholic convention where the sin is confessed to a priest and penance needs to be paid. For a protestant it's normally a simple prayer; "forgive me my sin....". Most Christians I know would then state that confession is not complete without repentance. I can't quite imagine what this is for the above sin though.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 10 Feb 2016 11:34 am

PNGMK wrote:
Barnsley wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

Yes, to Christ and on occasion they seek repentance (forgiveness) from the person they have transgressed against. I'm not sure, I know Methodists, Baptists and Presbyterians do but I can't speak for the minor Protestant groups. This is perhaps different to a Catholic convention where the sin is confessed to a priest and penance needs to be paid. For a protestant it's normally a simple prayer; "forgive me my sin....". Most Christians I know would then state that confession is not complete without repentance. I can't quite imagine what this is for the above sin though.

Cheers Fella,

This issue is in my girlfriends family , her sister-in-law refuse to go temple and do josticks , and its causing quite some pain to her parents , disowning of only son is not something done lightly.

However if a simple forgive my sins is all thats required then I really dont see what the issue is with wife of my girlfriends brother.

Some folk eh!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 10 Feb 2016 11:38 am

Ah yes. I can see the issue. I would not pray or worship an idol either.