Singapore Expats

S-pass renewal woes and rumors of S-pass terminationin 2014

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
roryn

S-pass renewal woes and rumors of S-pass terminationin 2014

Post by roryn » Thu, 10 Jan 2013 2:01 am

All, have a quick qn on behalf of a friend.

He's a grad from local uni (did bachelors from one of the legit uni's i/e NUS / NTU / SMU ). Has been working for the last 9 months or so as an Academic Research Associate at another of the above universities. Such research roles don't pay too well, so he's only on an S-pass. :)

His S-pass is coming up for renewal in the next few months, and he's a bit jittery given the current condition.

Apparently someone mentioned to him that S Pass ie being cancelled come 2014. Couldn't find any information on this online, so thought I'd check with the gurus here whether there's any merit to this.

Because of some MOE tuition grants etc he has to work in Singapore for 3 years after graduation (something that pretty much all foreign students enrolled in Singapore unis have to sign up for), so he'll be in a bit of a fix if his immigration status wouldn't be renewed.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 10 Jan 2013 3:36 am

I have heard of these 'pay-back later' MOE tuition grants before. Maybe have a look at the small print of the original loan/offer.

It would seem counterintuitive that ICA/MoM deny your residency, but then MOE still demand their piece of cake.

As locals say in their abbreviated and yet incisive vernacular, 'So how ah?'

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 10 Jan 2013 10:48 am

JR8 wrote:I have heard of these 'pay-back later' MOE tuition grants before. Maybe have a look at the small print of the original loan/offer.

It would seem counterintuitive that ICA/MoM deny your residency, but then MOE still demand their piece of cake.

As locals say in their abbreviated and yet incisive vernacular, 'So how ah?'
Counter-intuitive, but then this isn't the first case like this I've heard of silly situations like that. At least Singapore isn't shooting themselves in the foot like the US; over there the Gov (or a school) will give someone free (or almost free) ride for four to six years. Train them up, get a Masters from a 'very famous university' (but for real), and then tell them 'SORRY, NOW THAT THE DEMOCRATS PAID FOR YOUR EDUCATION, THE REPUBLICANS DONT WANT YOU TO TAKE OUR JOBS, SO GOOD BYE!'

The more interesting part of OP's post though is this unsubstantiated rumor about S-Pass program being cancelled. My advise is to ignore such silly rumors until you hear something official. There is only one person outside of MOM/ICA I would even remotely believe if they told me such a thing, and I'm guessing MS isn't your friend's "someone" ;)
Last edited by zzm9980 on Thu, 10 Jan 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Jan 2013 11:02 am

Spot on.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

roryn

Post by roryn » Thu, 10 Jan 2013 11:12 am

Haha yes, MOE expects foreign students from NUS / NTU / SMU to serve out their 3 years of employment in Singapore, whereas ICA / MOM denies them residency - counterintuitive is an understatement :)

I wonder whether grads from the numerous distance-learning Australian / UK outfits based here are subject to the same? I guess not, unless MOE provides a name-sake tuition fee grant to those grads as well.

Agree that the S-pass termination rumor be just that, and I'm not sure where he heard it from. But given the sentiment on the ground and the higher-ups penchant for 180 degree turns, I wouldn't be surprised if it materializes.