Singapore Expats

Renewal of REP for those PRS who surrender their Son's PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Wed, 09 Jan 2013 12:49 am

Mi Amigo wrote:
the lynx wrote:
vishalgupta2 wrote:"Another Indian just abused the system..."
The TRE article also highlighted your comment :lol:
Kind of ironic, no?

I took a quick peek at the TRE article - it certainly seems to have provoked a reaction. Unfortunately some of the comments are as rabid as I feared - e.g. a call to mount "a concerted effort to exterminate these parasitic scums." Not sure whether all us 'FTs' fall into this category, or just the NS dodgers; either way this is not exactly reasoned debate.
I guess I am getting famous.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 Jan 2013 7:46 am

Or maybe infamous? :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 09 Jan 2013 8:49 am

JR8 wrote:re: the TRE article.

With copyright I understand you can quote excerpts of an article published elsewhere, as part of a wider discussion on that topic. But is using a screenshot of an entire copyrighted page from another website allowed?

It would be most unfortunate if TRE are breaking SGn law.
Depends on the context. In this case I would say they are pretty much on green.
Hint1: this board is based on a GNU licensed software and unless the admins came up with their own graphical layout it means they are not owning it.
Hint2: the owner of the text is the abuser not the SingExpatsForum. One can argue that the amount of the text quoted is excessive but this make the whole thing at best on grey .

IMHO of course

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Wed, 09 Jan 2013 9:25 am

offshoreoildude wrote:This post has attracted the attention of the local xenophobes online rag - TRE - we can expect a lot more abuse coming our way.

OP - go ahead - cancel your son's PR. Come back in 10 years and tell us how much he appreciates you closing the door on him in Singapore.
what i dont understand is, why singapore? what so good about singapore? the locals are looking for avenues to get out, and yet all these people are trying to get in.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 09 Jan 2013 9:55 am

sensei_ wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:This post has attracted the attention of the local xenophobes online rag - TRE - we can expect a lot more abuse coming our way.

OP - go ahead - cancel your son's PR. Come back in 10 years and tell us how much he appreciates you closing the door on him in Singapore.
what i dont understand is, why singapore? what so good about singapore? the locals are looking for avenues to get out, and yet all these people are trying to get in.
Maybe the outside world isn't as good as the locals think it is?
Now I'm called PNGMK

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Wed, 09 Jan 2013 11:52 am

offshoreoildude wrote:
sensei_ wrote:

EU is in bad shape, Canada has temporarily withdrawn its PR program (unless the person has a confirmed job offer)and getting US green card for Indians / PRCs has a wait time of say 10 years.

In addition H1/L1/PR costs in US are insanely high.

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Wed, 09 Jan 2013 11:55 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Or maybe infamous? :lol:
In either case, I don't mind the feeling of being quoted.

I guess, I only stated the truth (harsh? may be) :) :wink:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 09 Jan 2013 11:58 am

vishalgupta2 wrote: In addition H1/L1/PR costs in US are insanely high.
What costs? The filing fees? http://www.uscis.gov/forms

If you can't afford those, you shouldn't be trying to immigrate to the US. The most expensive single action on there is $2,070 USD, and that is only for those who arrived in the US on non-immigrant visas seeking to adjust their status to permanent (get a green card). If you're exploiting loopholes like this, you deserve to pay a bit more. (It's like showing up in SG on your SVP and applying for PR immediately - and most likely getting it.)

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Wed, 09 Jan 2013 12:17 pm

zzm9980 wrote:

If you can't afford those, you shouldn't be trying to immigrate to the US. The most expensive single action on there is $2,070 USD, and that is only for those who arrived in the US on non-immigrant visas seeking to adjust their status to permanent (get a green card). If you're exploiting loopholes like this, you deserve to pay a bit more. (It's like showing up in SG on your SVP and applying for PR immediately - and most likely getting it.)
H1B to LPR is not a loophole. H1B is defined as a dual intent visa where you are allowed to have immigrant intent. Almost all other non-immigrant visas (Student/Tourist/Medical/Business) you are required to NOT have immigrant intent.

When people convert from F1 (student visa) to H1 (work), that's the loophole.

For cost, the ground reality is that Including attorney fees and everything, a H1B/L1B costs a company about 5000 USD. A green card costs about 10,000 USD to companies.

I moved out from US to Singapore NOT because of costs but for some other reasons. My employer was ready to go for Green card for me but I found it ethically incorrect to make my company spend so much when I had intentions to go to Singapore.

I am all in for expensive visas, in fact I remember that in one of my posts here I said that I would be happy if ICA/MOM made the EP/PR applications expensive (say 1k or so for EP and 5k or so for PR).

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 09 Jan 2013 12:24 pm

vishalgupta2 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
sensei_ wrote: what i dont understand is, why singapore? what so good about singapore? the locals are looking for avenues to get out, and yet all these people are trying to get in.
EU is in bad shape, Canada has temporarily withdrawn its PR program (unless the person has a confirmed job offer)and getting US green card for Indians / PRCs has a wait time of say 10 years.

In addition H1/L1/PR costs in US are insanely high.
You can add Australia to that - they recently tightened up their points system for skilled migrants. I believe you score negative points now for coming from certain darker skinned continents.
Now I'm called PNGMK

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 09 Jan 2013 4:31 pm

vishalgupta2 wrote:I moved out from US to Singapore NOT because of costs but for some other reasons. My employer was ready to go for Green card for me but I found it ethically incorrect to make my company spend so much when I had intentions to go to Singapore.
I tip my hat to you sir. If only everyone shared your sense of decency, we wouldn't have anywhere near the amount of vitriolic brouhaha that we're currently witnessing.
Be careful what you wish for

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 09 Jan 2013 6:36 pm

vishalgupta2 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:

H1B to LPR is not a loophole. H1B is defined as a dual intent visa where you are allowed to have immigrant intent. Almost all other non-immigrant visas (Student/Tourist/Medical/Business) you are required to NOT have immigrant intent.

For cost, the ground reality is that Including attorney fees and everything, a H1B/L1B costs a company about 5000 USD. A green card costs about 10,000 USD to companies.

I moved out from US to Singapore NOT because of costs but for some other reasons. My employer was ready to go for Green card for me but I found it ethically incorrect to make my company spend so much when I had intentions to go to Singapore.

I am all in for expensive visas, in fact I remember that in one of my posts here I said that I would be happy if ICA/MOM made the EP/PR applications expensive (say 1k or so for EP and 5k or so for PR).
I was thinking B1/B2 visitor to green card for foreign spouses, and other situations like that. Student is a good one too.

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Wed, 09 Jan 2013 9:56 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
vishalgupta2 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: What costs? The filing fees? http://www.uscis.gov/forms

I was thinking B1/B2 visitor to green card for foreign spouses, and other situations like that. Student is a good one too.
Yes, that one too (sorry, I missed that)