Singapore Expats

Yellow Armpit Stains

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
carteki
Editor
Editor

Yellow Armpit Stains

Post by carteki » Sat, 29 Dec 2012 3:36 pm

Way back when someone posted about how to get rid of yellow armpit stains and I'd resurrect the old post, but I can't find it as I've found a pretty decent article on testing some methods (with positive results!)
http://artofmanliness.com/2012/04/03/ho ... it-stains/

Decided to share it as I'm sure it is something that plagues all of us here.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 29 Dec 2012 4:13 pm

Do they sell OxiClean in Singapore though? I haven't ever looked for it, so I really don't know. I don't think most of my shirts actually have any yellow stains though, I'll have to check!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 29 Dec 2012 9:11 pm

Oxiclean... yeah used to get in the local $-shops.

Yellow stains. What I learned was to launder shirts ASAP after use. If you leave them in a laundry basket for even a week, that's when you get the real baked-in issues.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 30 Dec 2012 11:37 am

JR8 wrote:Oxiclean... yeah used to get in the local $-shops.

Yellow stains. What I learned was to launder shirts ASAP after use. If you leave them in a laundry basket for even a week, that's when you get the real baked-in issues.
I soak most of my shirts in cold water as soon as I take them off. I think the wife puts powder detergents in too, not sure. I don't have much of a problem with this though, just confirmed on most of my shirts.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 30 Dec 2012 1:41 pm

'Your wife' ?!

Issit!

:wink:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 8:50 pm

Bleach works very well on sweat stains, but read the instructions for the right dosage. In UK we used dolly blue in the old days, which was also bleach based.
The most important wih bleach is to get the dosage right, otherwise it may turn more yellow if too much is used.

Typically most women use bleach, it's been around a very long time. I've noticed that in Asia shirts turn yellow on there own, if not worn for a long time.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Re: Yellow Armpit Stains

Post by Brah » Sat, 05 Jan 2013 9:13 am

My problem is collar staining, and to a lesser degree, cuff staining, which despite using dishwashing liquid poured on and left to soak a bit before going in the wash, doesn't seem to work as well as it did when I was fresh out of college and working, doing my own laundry.

My work clothes seem to stain here more and more quickly than I remember elsewhere.

Maybe this OxiClean would work.
carteki wrote:Way back when someone posted about how to get rid of yellow armpit stains and I'd resurrect the old post, but I can't find it as I've found a pretty decent article on testing some methods (with positive results!)
http://artofmanliness.com/2012/04/03/ho ... it-stains/

Decided to share it as I'm sure it is something that plagues all of us here.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 05 Jan 2013 9:04 pm

I used to use a thing called a 'Stain stick'. Wet the collar, rub stick along collar ring, gently brush with old soft toothbrush. Then into the main wash. It worked.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 06 Jan 2013 8:32 pm

JR8 wrote:I used to use a thing called a 'Stain stick'. Wet the collar, rub stick along collar ring, gently brush with old soft toothbrush. Then into the main wash. It worked.
Oh those things work wonders when you get briyani on your white/light colored shirts! They seem to just be concentrated liquid detergent in a stick form though.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 06 Jan 2013 9:09 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
JR8 wrote:I used to use a thing called a 'Stain stick'. Wet the collar, rub stick along collar ring, gently brush with old soft toothbrush. Then into the main wash. It worked.
Oh those things work wonders when you get briyani on your white/light colored shirts! They seem to just be concentrated liquid detergent in a stick form though.
Yes, on curry stains and so on. I think they're super-concetrated enzyme/biological cleaners... Oxyclean produce one, but there are many other brands.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 07 Jan 2013 5:02 am

ksl wrote: I've noticed that in Asia shirts turn yellow on there own, if not worn for a long time.
My sister in SG told me white clothes turn yellow. I did not understand and wondered if she used the wrong kind of detergent.

I like to soak the stained clothes in oxi clean and then manually agitate it before tossing into the washer. It works well. The down side, the long soak wears out the clothes.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Mon, 07 Jan 2013 12:03 pm

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 07 Jan 2013 7:57 pm

morenangpinay wrote:baking soda and vinegar

http://home.howstuffworks.com/uses-for- ... re-ga2.htm
Just not at the same time or you'll get a real 'fizz-bomb' I expect :)