Singapore Expats

'The divers pub'

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 02 Jan 2013 6:32 am

This is peace son

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 02 Jan 2013 6:39 am

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 05 Jan 2013 4:56 pm

is it just me, or do other non "dive professionals" NAUI OWSI also find it irritating that we need to certify students to stay current?

i don't think PADI has this requirement... i think.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sat, 05 Jan 2013 6:26 pm

taxico wrote:is it just me, or do other non "dive professionals" NAUI OWSI also find it irritating that we need to certify students to stay current?

That made me laugh - I did my OWS via FAUI - they don't even exist anymore.... I still have the card and most dive shops will honor it.
Now I'm called PNGMK

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 05 Jan 2013 7:42 pm

my instructor card has an expiry date. i think my AI and DM cards have expiry dates too. i can't remember.

me thinks me goin on a lotta dive trips this year. BANGKOK WOMEN REALLY ARE FUN!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 05 Jan 2013 10:54 pm

taxico wrote:is it just me, or do other non "dive professionals" NAUI OWSI also find it irritating that we need to certify students to stay current?

I don't need to help certify students to keep my knowledge current (PADI-DM). I used to know the nuances between PADI, BSAC, SSI, Naui and so on, but alas no more, and I chose what worked for me, and am not taking my cert level higher.

Is it possible this is something akin to a pyramid scheme? No offense intended vs NAUI but it doesn't seem to be logical, but it does generate a steady flow of new members.

Hmmm.

p.s. Worth asking Carteki, when she next pops in.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sat, 05 Jan 2013 11:07 pm

JR8 wrote:

I don't need to help certify students to keep my knowledge current (PADI-DM). I used to know the nuances between PADI, BSAC, SSI, Naui and so on, but alas no more, and I chose what worked for me, and am not taking my cert level higher.

Is it possible this is something akin to a pyramid scheme? No offense intended vs NAUI but it doesn't seem to be logical, but it does generate a steady flow of new members.

Hmmm.

p.s. Worth asking Carteki, when she next pops in.
In my limted experience PADI seems far more money for less training. My basic FAUI course covered stuff you'd need at least two PADI courses for (it was 5 day class and pool and two day open water - one week full time though).

This post prompted me to check and it looks like FAUI is resurging and I can get a new card!

http://www.scubacom.com.au/oscommerce/faui.php
Now I'm called PNGMK

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 06 Jan 2013 12:27 am

offshoreoildude wrote: In my limted experience PADI seems far more money for less training. My basic FAUI course covered stuff you'd need at least two PADI courses for (it was 5 day class and pool and two day open water - one week full time though).

This post prompted me to check and it looks like FAUI is resurging and I can get a new card!

http://www.scubacom.com.au/oscommerce/faui.php
Thanks interesting, I'd never come across FAUI before, but then again I've dived mostly in places where there tend to be few if any Australians.

Well all courses/agencies vary in some way or another, I don't really see better/worse, what matters is that it prepares you for the kind of diving you wish to do. The PADI-OW is a course appropriate for the basic needs of a holiday-diver. People on holiday for a week, tend not to want to spend all of it studying in the classroom or water.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 06 Jan 2013 3:21 am

JR8 wrote:...Is it possible this is something akin to a pyramid scheme? No offense intended vs NAUI but it doesn't seem to be logical, but it does generate a steady flow of new members...
never thought about it from that angle... i doubt though. non-pros usually don't even get paid (at least i never receive payment except for the free trip + a few beers), so there's no opportunity/point in hustling for students.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 06 Jan 2013 5:41 am

taxico wrote:
JR8 wrote:...Is it possible this is something akin to a pyramid scheme? No offense intended vs NAUI but it doesn't seem to be logical, but it does generate a steady flow of new members...
never thought about it from that angle... i doubt though. non-pros usually don't even get paid (at least i never receive payment except for the free trip + a few beers), so there's no opportunity/point in hustling for students.
No what I meant was that to keep your instructor license valid you are obliged to meet and produce an annual quota of new paying members for NAUI.

I can see that there might be a virtue in keeping 'fresh' on the teaching side, but to have an annual quota seems (to me) unnecessary. What if you're female and pregnant, or out the water for a year (as I likely will be), you lose your license/qualification?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 11 Jan 2013 4:27 am

Little Britain. Fat Fighters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmiH7pD3-Zs

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 17 Jan 2013 4:26 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... llion.html

'It's a real money pit! The remote 180-acre Bahamas estate that features the world's deepest underwater hole on sale for $24m'

But, check the embedded link at the bottom of the article re: William Trubridge diving the Dahab 'arch'.... what a dude...