Singapore Expats

Moving to Singapore as a mid-twenties couple from UK

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
bskewell

Moving to Singapore as a mid-twenties couple from UK

Post by bskewell » Wed, 02 Jan 2013 1:22 am

Hi all,

My partner has been offered a job in Singapore and we are considering moving from the UK.

I appreciate this is a very general question but has anyone moved out to Singapore as a couple in their mid-twenties? If so, how have you found it so far?

Have you found it easy to meet people?

Do you find there is plenty of things to do and an active nightlife in the city? Or is it quite quiet and family-orientated?

Thanks for your responses and apologies if I should have found the answers to my questions through some more extensive googling.

Thanks

Kate

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Moving to Singapore as a mid-twenties couple from UK

Post by JR8 » Wed, 02 Jan 2013 1:43 am

bskewell wrote:Hi all,

My partner has been offered a job in Singapore and we are considering moving from the UK.

I appreciate this is a very general question but has anyone moved out to Singapore as a couple in their mid-twenties? If so, how have you found it so far?

Have you found it easy to meet people?

Do you find there is plenty of things to do and an active nightlife in the city? Or is it quite quiet and family-orientated?

Thanks for your responses and apologies if I should have found the answers to my questions through some more extensive googling.

Thanks

Kate

Yeah, many of us probably did move in our mid-20s.

Chill man, you'll be fine.

Prepare to make some serious dosh, that's my advice. Some people go nutso....

TTFN

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 02 Jan 2013 11:07 pm

bskewell wrote:...Have you found it easy to meet people?
meeting people is the easy part...

Cath C
Regular
Regular

Post by Cath C » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 10:54 pm

You should be fine meeting people and on the whole, Singapore isan easy place to live - safe, clean, excellent transport, good food.

Are you also planning to work? I ask because if you're not married to your partner you'll need to work out your own employment pass etc. Other things you might want to think about in making your decision are living costs (rent especially), weather (it's hot and humid all the time), where you'll live etc.

Will you becoming out for a visit before your partner starts the role?

Global Player
Regular
Regular

Post by Global Player » Fri, 04 Jan 2013 10:21 am

bskewell wrote: Do you find there is plenty of things to do and an active nightlife in the city? Or is it quite quiet and family-orientated?
Nightlife here is the best in whole Asia. I know that many people say the party is harder in Tokyo or Shanghai. But what does it help if nobody speaks your language. Here in Singapore you can easily communicate in any bar or club.

Mid 20s is a great age to come to Singapore. Just make sure the job offer covers the high living costs. Inform yourself before signing a contract.

Shellie_h

Post by Shellie_h » Fri, 18 Jan 2013 1:02 pm

Hi,

We made the move from London in October. We're slightly older being in our early 30's but we are really enjoying ourselves. Singapore has a lot to offer and it's really up to you to make the most of all the opportunities. One great plus is the location as there are so many great places to travel to.

Good luck!