Singapore Expats

New In Singapore

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Fannou

New In Singapore

Post by Fannou » Tue, 07 Aug 2012 1:19 pm

Hello

We arrived 3 weeks ago with my husband and 11 months baby.
I have a lot of questions and would need your help.

How did you do with your baby? Do you have a helper?
Does he go to pre school?
I would like to have free time to find a job or an activity and also so that we can have a social life.

I know the most convenient is the full time helper but I am not very confortable with someone living with us.
Is it possible, like in HK, to have a full time helper who leaves out?
What about the part time?
Do you know a good pre school not too expensive near Farrer park?

I would need your experience and advise !!!

if one of you is available to talk in front a lunch or coffee, I would be very happy to meet mum or not mum

My name is Stephanie aby the way

thank you

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 07 Aug 2012 11:37 pm

Hi and welcome to Singapore!
It's generally a nice place to have a kid, if you are a bit flexible (which, with a baby, you have to be anyway).

> How did you do with your baby? Do you have a helper?
I was stay-at-home dad for the first year (very unusual for a man here!), and we have in-laws nearby.

> Does he go to pre school?
Yes, full-time from 1.5 years onwards.

> Is it possible, like in HK, to have a full time helper who leaves out? What about the part time?
Of course it's possible, but at min. S$15/hour more costly than a live-in.

Fannou

Thank you

Post by Fannou » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 9:12 am

My first reply ! Thank you!!!

First of all, let me tell you how I admire stay at home dad !!! It is not a easy work at all

We do love Singap compared to HK for kids, we are happy to be here!!!
For my baby I am quite flexible, I am not sure which is best...plus truth is I hope to find a job

I try to look for a pre school but they look all nice so it is hard to choose ( of course price and location can help) but 18 months is only in 7 months and I really need to have some time for me after 11 months non stop at home

We left HK when our soon turned 7 months so we didn't have time to get a helper, so I was stuck at home
Over there the nice thing is that you can have a live in helper living out if you see what I mean..A Philipino, paid like a full time, except you rent her a board..It is very good to have the advantages of a helper without having a stranger living with you
I was wondering if here we could do the same

That is why I am interested in what other parents do, so that I can copy ; )

Have a very nice day

beppi
Manager
Manager

Re: Thank you

Post by beppi » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 3:18 pm

Fannou wrote:First of all, let me tell you how I admire stay at home dad !!! It is not a easy work at all
It's damn boring - I was glad to get a project (in Thailand, back to flying in and out bi-weekly) after a year.

Only Singaporeans and PR can legally work informally as live-out household helper. That's why you can't get one at the third-world wage of a typical live-in maid.

There are child care centres taking kids from 3 months old.

x9200

Re: Thank you

Post by x9200 » Thu, 09 Aug 2012 8:21 am

Fannou wrote:We left HK when our soon turned 7 months so we didn't have time to get a helper, so I was stuck at home
Over there the nice thing is that you can have a live in helper living out if you see what I mean..A Philipino, paid like a full time, except you rent her a board..It is very good to have the advantages of a helper without having a stranger living with you
I was wondering if here we could do the same
Not that I know about at least for a reasonable price. Also the quality is pretty difficult to get. Having a living out maid or babysitter/nanny will cost you anything between $S10-40 /h. This is the rate for the part timers but especially for the babysitter they are not that many available around so do not expect to have it cheaper. Maybe you can get an older "aunty" for a fixed salary but I doubt she will clean or cook anything for you - just will look after your baby preferably in her own place.

natalyakir1

Post by natalyakir1 » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 2:47 pm

Wellcome to Sing!